Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: Holyfield's comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaney
I agree.

I have been re-reading on the final act of Ali's career...and it is always heartbreaking to see a great champion (the greatest in this case) go on too long and leave the sport as damaged goods.

Holyfield simply has nothing else left to prove! He is fantastically rich. He may still love competing (as Ali did) but this isn't playing on too long in tennis, where you leave a tournament embarrasingly early...losing in boxing is measured in concussive blows to the brain.

There are a million good causes Holy could put his time, resources and indominitable spirit to. Seeing him carry on like this, I can only conclude his vanity is greater than his common sense.
I do not think the comparison with Ali is a good one.

Ali didn't train hard in his later years, and almost certainly had the beginnings of Parkinsons syndrome in his last two or three fights.

Holyfield trains like a Spartan warrior still, and has passed every medical test out there. He's passed a whole stack of extensive tests, the like of which did not exist in Ali's day.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Steroids won't protect your brain. Holyfield needs to get out of boxing before he becomes another cautionary tale.
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #18
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
He's passed a whole stack of extensive tests, the like of which did not exist in Ali's day.
I'm a bit skeptical about this. While i doubt don't there's better control today, i still think Don King can get you through any test as long as there's money to make.

If by tests you meant looking good against journeymen, then he certainly passed the test though.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Well Holyfiled is at least fighting people his OWN age. I hate to see what would happen if he fought a young gun. Holyfiled would lose if he steps up to the Peter's, or Kilts imo. Sure Holyfiled did good, but I wount put much weight into it as Sal was as shot as Holyfiled and a lesser fighter of couse.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I'm a bit skeptical about this. While i doubt don't there's better control today, i still think Don King can get you through any test as long as there's money to make.
In Holyfield's case, I dont think Don King or anyone else was a factor. Holyfield's showing against Larry Donald was so bad he had eliminated himself from being an asset to these big promoters and TV companies. HBO's Larry Merchant had spent the entire Donald fighting talking about Holyfield needs to retire.

It was Holyfield v. NY commission, and NY wanted him to FAIL these tests to justify their barring him from fighting. But Holyfield passed them all with flying colours.
And the Commision still left his suspension in place.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305

Holyfield looked great in his last fight i think he could go on another 1-2 years maybe getting a title on the way
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

Any titleholder beats Holyfield.

Savarese made the fight somewhat competetive... enough said.
doublesuited is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #23
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah, so Holyfield looked great pummeling another has been that is more washed up than even Evander is. Remember it wasn't too long ago that an obese middleweight dropped Evander flat on his face and he's deteriorated a bit since then..The heavyweights are a division of very beatable guys right now, and yeah, on a given night even Holyfield could beat some of them, but he's very vulnerable to bad injury at this point.George Foreman was an exception, not the rule.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
Chaney
Mystery and Imagination
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I do not think the comparison with Ali is a good one.

Ali didn't train hard in his later years, and almost certainly had the beginnings of Parkinsons syndrome in his last two or three fights.

Holyfield trains like a Spartan warrior still, and has passed every medical test out there. He's passed a whole stack of extensive tests, the like of which did not exist in Ali's day.
Ali was passed as fit to fight Holmes, only after a two-day renal and neurological examination by the Mayo clinic. This was despite noticably slurring his words, hopping with less than the expected agility, having tingling in his hands and being less than 100% accurate when asked to touch his nose with his finger.

I do not doubt Holyfields dedication, but I question WHY he is doing this without financial need when he has already proved himself a great fighter. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

He may train like a demon, but his brain still will rattle in his skull with every blow.
Chaney is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #25
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

holyfield has fought against guys who aren't big punchers. maskaev who is considered the weakest of the champs has a good right hand, even he would beat up holyfield badly. I see holyfield losing his title bid embarrasingly and saying afterwards ' I wasn't right tonight, but I just get back in line, I will retire undisputed heavyweight champion'
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #26
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
HBO's Larry Merchant had spent the entire Donald fighting talking about Holyfield needs to retire.
Gotta love Merchant.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
Smokin'Joe

Location: Favorite Boxers: Frazier, Ali, Marciano, Archie Moore, Ray Leonard

Everybody keeps going back to the Donald and Toney fight, but Holyfield is a completely different fighter. I cringed when I saw him get dominated in both those fights, and I was completely against any sort of comeback when I first heard of it. But having seen his last 4 comeback fights, It's clear he still has it, and seems to be getting better. Fres Oquendo was robbed against Chris Byrd and gave Tua and Ruiz, and hard time, but Holyfield was able to defeat him. The combinations, speed, and most of all timing he was able to show against Savarese and Maddalone was also very impressive, despite the fact that these guys aren't a couple of Jersey Joes. I'm not saying pit him against Kiltchko or Peter or anything like that, but it's very possible he could get his hands on a title shot.

I honestly think Maskaev vs Holyfield would be an entertaining fight to watch, with Holyfield having enough left in the tank to outbox the Russian. Then again if Maskaev has to get past Peter which is a feat in itself.
Smokin'Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #28
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holyfield-Savarese was a decent fight and Holy didn't look too bad either. He looks better now than the guy who was getting beaten handily by Donald and Toney. Maybe shoulder surgery has helped, I also think a lot of it has to do with the caliber of fighters he's fighting and the styles they employ. While Holyfield looks good for being 44 and through all the wars hes been in, I think he has little chance to pick up a belt let alone unify anything.

Of the 4 current champions the only one he has any chance with would be Maskaev. Even that one I see Holy being a solid underdog. Chagaeva and Sultan both put a sustained beatin on the old warrior. Wlad-Holy would resemble Holmes-Ali, maybe even worse due to Wlad's huge offensive firepower.

I'm all for Holyfield continuing his career if that's what he chooses to do. He's still capable of hanging with the right fringe contedners and could even give certain contenders a run for their money. I just hope when he does get another title shot, and I do think he'll get one, he is matched up with the right one and not someone that will seriously hurt him.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 AM   #29
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Funny, I would have thought Holy fans would be clamouring for him to STOP fighting.
Let's face it, any sort of success in the ring only encourages him, and he's in that period of his life where it's so easy to wind up punchy. His age makes him vulnerable to the long-term effects of getting punched repeatedly in the head. As it is, Holy slurrs his words a bit. That condition is only going to get worse if he keeps on fighting.

Part of me would like to see how far he could go, but at the end of the day, most comebacks end in tears. Surely we must - as fans of boxing - hope that he hangs 'em up and finds something to keep him busy outside of boxing.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #30
Chaney
Mystery and Imagination
ESB Jr Member

I remember reading that Ali's daughter was desperate for her father to lose against Berbick. She knew that if he won, he would take it as encouragement, and keep on and on and on...
Chaney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum