Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Michael Moorer at LHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juv
Coincidentally, he used to kill himself just to make that weight.

Michael Moorer had no business fighting at 175.
Yeah Lightheavyweight was a bit a of stretch for a man of Moorer's build. Heavyweight was stretching it too. It would have been interesting to see Moorer spend about two years at Cruiserweight fighting the best fighters that the division had to offer at the time. I think it would have been a comfortable weight for him, and he likely would have unfied the titles.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #17
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
He did not destroy then journeymen Stewart, Allen and Stonewalker, he struggled with all three.... I think Jeff Harding would of had a 50/50 shot at Moorer, let alone Hill or Williams!

Moorer was also a bit lazy training wise, and getting down to 175 was a constant battle, in part because of that laziness.
Moorer can walk around at 250 pounds and more and look quite muscular.

It's no suprise it was nearly impossible to stay at Light Heavy.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 AM   #18
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Moorer can walk around at 250 pounds and more and look quite muscular.

It's no suprise it was nearly impossible to stay at Light Heavy.
He was a big 175lber, but as Steward has stated, his training habits ruined his great potential.

As has been pointed out in this thread Moorer probably would of peaked at 190; and with the likes of Holyfield as champion, he could of easily fought him at 200 rather than 215.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #19
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by markedwardscott
He was a killer at that weight.
We need not say any more.. Killer he was.. if he would have stayed at Lt heavy he would have completely dominated as did Holyfield at Cruiserweight.. Fearless and ferocious...
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #20
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
We need not say any more.. Killer he was.. if he would have stayed at Lt heavy he would have completely dominated as did Holyfield at Cruiserweight.. Fearless and ferocious...
I think if Moorer had fought Virgil Hill anytime between 1990-1993, Hill would have outboxed him to a decision. Jeff Harding with his heart, chin and power may have been a potential threat too, although I wouldn't give him the kind of chance that i'd give Hill. Moorer still had a lot of things to work on. He had some difficulty getting good boxers with decent chins out of there. Sure he looked invincible against someone like Jeff Thompson or Mario Melo, but when he fought someone who was capable if fighting, he would have to take a bit longer to get them out, and at times even had to come back from being behind on points.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #21
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Moorer was a big, big light-heayweight. I've got a picture of him and Tyson standing next to each other while Moorer was still a light-heavy, and he didn't look much smaller than Tyson at all. (Between fights, of course.)

However, I think his record at the weight flattered to deceive somewhat. His fight against Danny Stonewalker was average at best, and for 7 rounds Leslie Stewart had his number.
I remember Manny Steward going bonkers in Moorer's corner - "You're a young, strong man! Let your hands go!" Moorer was just sleepwalking, and was getting beaten to the punch time and again.
Fair play to Moorer, in the 8th he wakes up and knocks Sterwart down 3 times to win the fight, but he hardly looked devastating in that one.

On a sidenote, I never really bought into his tough guy image. He tried a little too hard to be like Tyson and it didn't come off naturally.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #22
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Moorer was a big, big light-heayweight. I've got a picture of him and Tyson standing next to each other while Moorer was still a light-heavy, and he didn't look much smaller than Tyson at all. (Between fights, of course.)

However, I think his record at the weight flattered to deceive somewhat. His fight against Danny Stonewalker was average at best, and for 7 rounds Leslie Stewart had his number.
I remember Manny Steward going bonkers in Moorer's corner - "You're a young, strong man! Let your hands go!" Moorer was just sleepwalking, and was getting beaten to the punch time and again.
Fair play to Moorer, in the 8th he wakes up and knocks Sterwart down 3 times to win the fight, but he hardly looked devastating in that one.

On a sidenote, I never really bought into his tough guy image. He tried a little too hard to be like Tyson and it didn't come off naturally.
At one point he was living in Steward's basement, and had a huge collection of guns down there. He was a bit of an odd duck really.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #23
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
At one point he was living in Steward's basement, and had a huge collection of guns down there. He was a bit of an odd duck really.
Did he? Interesting. I wonder what Manny thought about that...

It's just some of the stuff he said...like his love of horror movies and violence and gore and all that...maybe I'm wrong and he really was just a violent person, but some of the things he said had me thinking he had read it somewhere, and was trying to impress.
fists of fury is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum