Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default British fighters need to step up at 20 - 0 , not 40 - 0 then get beaten up

I have been watching this sport for about three decades now , but only in the past 10 years has it become so apparent that British fighters build great records without fighting anybody.

Take a look at these.

Micheal Jennings - 34 - 1 when he fought Miguel Cotto , but most of his fights were 8 rounders against very average European competition.

Thomas McDonagh - 34 - 3 . Fights 6 rounders?????

Ryan Rhodes - 45 - 4 . Fought an 8 rounder before fighting for the WBC world title????

Matthew Hatton - 41 - 5 . 6 and 8 rounder champion.

John Murray - 31 - 0 . Has yet to face anybody , I mean anybody at world class.

Kell Brook - 23 - 0 , no world class fighters anywhere on his record.

Lastly Matthew Macklin and Darren Barker , they are both fighting for world titles soon , and we dont really know if they are even the best in Europe.

I am Briitsh and love this sport , but for whatever reason it seems fighters from these shores need to get to 40 - 0 , fight for WBU belts , then get thrown into world class , and the gulf is huge.

The only fighter who went down this route and did ok was Ricky Hatton.

The best fighter in Britain who went into a real world title fight in his 22 fight , which is about right is Carl Froch.

Now not everybody is Holyfield going into a world title fight at 11 - 0 or Mayweather around 18 - 0, but the records us Brits build that just dont justify the qualities of the fighter , and we just look out of our depth. I mean poor Jennings took a beating off Cotto and didnt know how to respond , but tougher fights earlier in his career may have given him a different strategy , you shouldnt be looking scared after 35 fights, but he did because he didnt know what to do.

Peace , enjoy your Sunday.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Round1gymDC
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: British fighters need to step up at 20 - 0 , not 40 - 0 then get beaten up

Im glad you can bw honest, it seems as British fighters can only give fighters one look, and seem to get discouraged quick, yes Alv is good, but Rhodes should og gave him different looks, fouls, dirty tatics and veteran move would od did.
Round1gymDC is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: British fighters need to step up at 20 - 0 , not 40 - 0 then get beaten up

problem is that most of those boxers never reached a point to "step up"

theres club level fighters that are 11-0

they are not and never will be ready to go much higher

rhodesw DID step up early

as for hatton he was never even euro level until recently

not everything is numbers in boxing
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

mc donagh will never be world level as soon as he goes a little better than hes at now he loses
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

British PROSPECTS do step up much earlier

froch khan haye etc
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Probably because those fighters you mention, just haven't got world-class talent. The few of our fighters that were at that level - Froch, Khan, Haye - did step up to that class in their 20's like you want them to.

That's just part of the reason. The other is that Britain isn't a boxing nation, and that our small island just doesn't produce the goods like other countries do. Oh, and our over-protective promoters contribute to it as well.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
problem is that most of those boxers never reached a point to "step up"

theres club level fighters that are 11-0

they are not and never will be ready to go much higher

rhodesw DID step up early

as for hatton he was never even euro level until recently

not everything is numbers in boxing
It has to be numbers , because if it was based on talent Jennings , M Hatton , Mackin and Barker wouldnt be talked about at world level . But they are facing the best in the world and their resume's although long are very thin on quality.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
It has to be numbers , because if it was based on talent Jennings , M Hatton , Mackin and Barker wouldnt be talked about at world level . But they are facing the best in the world and their resume's although long are very thin on quality.
good prospects step up early no matter where they are from

some guys take more work,

you cant go comparing mc donagh and m hatton to touted am stars like froch FFS thats not realistic in anyway
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Gneus7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

They step up when they're ready. Some people could have a million fights & not be ready.
Gneus7 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
good prospects step up early no matter where they are from

some guys take more work,

you cant go comparing mc donagh and m hatton to touted am stars like froch FFS thats not realistic in anyway
If you read what I said about Froch , I said he stepped up at the right time , 22 fights is about right.

I agree some fighters need more time , but look at the names I have mentioned and have they really learned from these 6 round fights against 'walk over competition'?? Or has it just padded out a record?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I have been watching this sport for about three decades now , but only in the past 10 years has it become so apparent that British fighters build great records without fighting anybody.

Take a look at these.

Micheal Jennings - 34 - 1 when he fought Miguel Cotto , but most of his fights were 8 rounders against very average European competition.

Thomas McDonagh - 34 - 3 . Fights 6 rounders?????

Ryan Rhodes - 45 - 4 . Fought an 8 rounder before fighting for the WBC world title????

Matthew Hatton - 41 - 5 . 6 and 8 rounder champion.

John Murray - 31 - 0 . Has yet to face anybody , I mean anybody at world class.

Kell Brook - 23 - 0 , no world class fighters anywhere on his record.

Lastly Matthew Macklin and Darren Barker , they are both fighting for world titles soon , and we dont really know if they are even the best in Europe.

I am Briitsh and love this sport , but for whatever reason it seems fighters from these shores need to get to 40 - 0 , fight for WBU belts , then get thrown into world class , and the gulf is huge.

The only fighter who went down this route and did ok was Ricky Hatton.

The best fighter in Britain who went into a real world title fight in his 22 fight , which is about right is Carl Froch.

Now not everybody is Holyfield going into a world title fight at 11 - 0 or Mayweather around 18 - 0, but the records us Brits build that just dont justify the qualities of the fighter , and we just look out of our depth. I mean poor Jennings took a beating off Cotto and didnt know how to respond , but tougher fights earlier in his career may have given him a different strategy , you shouldnt be looking scared after 35 fights, but he did because he didnt know what to do.

Peace , enjoy your Sunday.
Calzaghe had reached exactly 40-0 by fighting a horrible collection of shit for 9 years, but when he eventually stepped up to the plate against Lacy and Kessler, he did it well. So there are exceptions to every rule.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneus7 View Post
They step up when they're ready. Some people could have a million fights & not be ready.
That means they are just not good enough.

I am British , and it embarrasses me when I see one of our fighters with a record of 35 - 1 fighting for world titles , when I know he hasnt done shit, and is going to get knocked around the ring.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Calzaghe had reached exactly 40-0 by fighting a horrible collection of shit for 9 years, but when he eventually stepped up to the plate against Lacy and Kessler, he did it well. So there are exceptions to every rule.

I agree , he was like Ricky Hatton , but there were some B level fighters in there .

These guys now dont even have that .

Tell me who Barker has beat to fight the Middleweight champion of the World??
Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
If you read what I said about Froch , I said he stepped up at the right time , 22 fights is about right.

I agree some fighters need more time , but look at the names I have mentioned and have they really learned from these 6 round fights against 'walk over competition'?? Or has it just padded out a record?
they wont be world class fighters, there is many levels in boxing , its a career either way

mc donagh is a terrible example he will always fight this level no need to take him somwhere to be destroyed
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
to be fair to rayrobinson he has a point with the likes of calzaghe

Joe was a top am and a huge prospect, for Joe to not step was a disgrace

you cant compare that to mad matt hatton though he never was a prospect and got better very recently
doylexxx is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum