Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default 1997: Alexis Rubalcaba KO4 Alexei Lezin-who saw it?

I just discovered that in the 1997 World Championships, dominant Russian heavyweight Alexei Lezin was kayoed in four rounds by Cuba's Alexis Rubalcaba. I think it was a clean knockout.

Lezin was a prior world champ, and several time Russian and Euro champ. It's very dramatic that he would have been put down for the count by anyone.

Did anyone see this match? Any comments, insights to share?
kenmore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1997: Alexis Rubalcaba KO4 Alexei Lezin-who saw it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
I just discovered that in the 1997 World Championships, dominant Russian heavyweight Alexei Lezin was kayoed in four rounds by Cuba's Alexis Rubalcaba. I think it was a clean knockout.

Lezin was a prior world champ, and several time Russian and Euro champ. It's very dramatic that he would have been put down for the count by anyone.

Did anyone see this match? Any comments, insights to share?
Not seen the match. Lezin was a good boxer, but never had the best punch resistance. So would not surprise me.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
Not seen the match. Lezin was a good boxer, but never had the best punch resistance. So would not surprise me.
Do you know of other instances when Lezin was hurt, knocked down, or stopped? I know Audley stopped him in the 2000 Olympics, but that was a points stoppage, if I am not mistaken.

I've seen Lezin on youtube. He doesn't look like much of a puncher, but clearly he could box. I can sort of understand why he didn't turn pro; he probably didn't have the physical attributes -- or quite the right style -- to succeed in the pro game.

Still, Lezin's achievements were very impressive. He won two world championships and three Euro titles. Not bad.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Beat both Klitschko's but lost to at least one as well, Wlad I think.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
He beat Vitali twice, once for the World Military Championships in 1993, and then for the World Championships in 1995. Lezin's win over Vitali in 1995 represented the first time in decades that a major world amateur heavyweight championship had not been won by a North American.

I remember when, in 1995, I saw that two ex-Soviets were vying for the amateur world heavyweight title, I realized immediately that the character of heavyweight boxing -- amateur and professional -- was changing forever. It was shifting to East Europe.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
Lezin beat Vitali at the 95 World Finals then lost to Vitali later that same year in the World Military Finals.

Vova lost to Lezin in the 96 Euro Final then later that same year beat Lezin at the Olympics.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Do you know of other instances when Lezin was hurt, knocked down, or stopped? I know Audley stopped him in the 2000 Olympics, but that was a points stoppage, if I am not mistaken.

I've seen Lezin on youtube. He doesn't look like much of a puncher, but clearly he could box. I can sort of understand why he didn't turn pro; he probably didn't have the physical attributes -- or quite the right style -- to succeed in the pro game.

Still, Lezin's achievements were very impressive. He won two world championships and three Euro titles. Not bad.
Agreed. I was a fan of Lezin. He had a great war with Povetkin in the final of the Russian nationals which he won. Was a great contest.From what I remember he was RSC'd against Harrison in the final round. He got a standing 8 and the ref waived it off.
avk47 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum