Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Rounds that should be scord 10-8

I would like to know what fellow boxing fans think of something I have been annoyed with for a very long time now.

We all know the way to judge a round concerning a knockdown. The winner of a round gets 10 , the loser gets 9 , if the winner knocks his opponent down then the round is scord 10-8 , another point is deducted for each knockdown. However , as you all know , judges (for quite some time) are giving 10-8 rounds when there has been no knockdown.

Surely if a fighter is taking a pasting and shows the hart to keep upright he deserves his 9 points ?

And since when has boxing (the art of hitting without being hit) been all about who batters his opponent more ?

Does this then mean that if a fighter totally outclasses his opponent in a round but doesnt put a dent in him physically (a la Winky or Cory Spinks) then he should get a 10-8 round?

Thats not serious but its just to get my point across
Any comments
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040
Default Re: Rounds that should be scord 10-8

It's subjective.

Sometimes you just know a 10-8 round when you see one.

Same with a 10-9 with a knockdown.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

think of it this way. Sometimes 2 fighters have an extremely competitive round and the winner gets it because of one weak punch that he landed over his opponent. Do you think its fair that someone who wins a round by a hair gets a 10-9, while someone who beats the shit out of his opponent for an entire round gets the same score?

Obviously the 10 point system is flawed, but it is what it is and i think its fair that a round that is totally dominated can be scored 10-8. Often a fighter gets his ass whooped and then doesn't get kd'd cause he clinches the whole time.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Some rounds with KDs, I can see it not being 10-8 if one guy is losing badly and scores a knockdown. For instance, Trinidad was beating Mayorga pretty badly in round 4(?) and then Mayorga scored a KD, then Tito still did some good work after the KD. I don't know about that being 10-8 for Mayorga.

If a guy gets brutalized but stays on his feet, I can still see it being 10-8, such as Golota-Bowe round 7 in the rematch, or Mayweather-Gatti round 6.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Knob McDude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I felt 12th round of Collazo-Hatton should have been 10-8.

That is how I scored the 12th, and the fight was a draw on my card because of it.

I give Ricky credit for surviving the round, but he was holding like crazy, and really should have been warned.

Only reason I used that fight as an example, is because I just watched it again today.

Then again, I can't score a fight for shit.
Knob McDude is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

But I think it should just stay the way it was originally intended , a knockdown - no matter how heavy should mean a point deduction for the guy being knockd down . If you stay up (either through hart and guts or the other guys finishing inability) then you should get the 9.

No1 has yet talked about giving a guy credit for staying uprite while taking a beating
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Knob McDude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
But I think it should just stay the way it was originally intended , a knockdown - no matter how heavy should mean a point deduction for the guy being knockd down . If you stay up (either through hart and guts or the other guys finishing inability) then you should get the 9.

No1 has yet talked about giving a guy credit for staying uprite while taking a beating
You make a good point.

I don't think judges hand out 10-8 rounds like candy anyways, so it's not a big deal.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob McDude
You make a good point.

I don't think judges hand out 10-8 rounds like candy anyways, so it's not a big deal.
I know , just a principal thing though
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Knob McDude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I know , just a principal thing though
Gotcha.

I think you make valid points bud.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Thumbs up Re: Rounds that should be scord 10-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob McDude
Gotcha.

I think you make valid points bud.

Thanks t, his my first thread , went well
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Knob McDude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks t, his my first thread , went well
Haha!

You bet it did.

Nobody questioned your manhood or called you an Oscar***ual.

Two big hurdles here, when starting any thread.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
I would like to know what fellow boxing fans think of something I have been annoyed with for a very long time now.

We all know the way to judge a round concerning a knockdown. The winner of a round gets 10 , the loser gets 9 , if the winner knocks his opponent down then the round is scord 10-8 , another point is deducted for each knockdown. However , as you all know , judges (for quite some time) are giving 10-8 rounds when there has been no knockdown.

Surely if a fighter is taking a pasting and shows the hart to keep upright he deserves his 9 points ?

And since when has boxing (the art of hitting without being hit) been all about who batters his opponent more ?

Does this then mean that if a fighter totally outclasses his opponent in a round but doesnt put a dent in him physically (a la Winky or Cory Spinks) then he should get a 10-8 round?

Thats not serious but its just to get my point across
Any comments
You probably do not want to watch the Czyz/O'Mara from a few years back then. Bobby won a clear shutout, but did not floor George; two judges had it 100/90, the other 100/71.

The fatal flaw in ten point must is that whether you win the round because you landed an extra jab, or because you dominated but did not floor your opponent the round is scored 10/9. Thus a fighter could in theory get a draw in a 12 rounder by landing a single extra jab in six rounds, and could be pasted but not knockdown in the other six...

That is why as much as it pains me to say it, a Hearns/LeonardII was no robbery. If you score it properly you struggle to get it better than 113/112 to Hearns, thus a draw seems fair.

Personally I would like to see a system where the judges just judge who won the round. If a judge awards two points to the person who they think won the round, or one each if they think it is even. Theese scores are combined together; then if all three judges score a round to one fighter that fighter gets a bonus two points, thus a fighter could win a round 8/0.

Six points would be awarded for knocking down your opponent, and a referee could take between one and six points off a fighter for an infriogement depending on the seriousness of it.

Thus if a fighter dominates a round, but does not score a knockdown, then in the next round loses a close round, two judges to one, he would lead the fight 10/4, rather than the fight being so even on scorecards (19-19, 19-19, 20-18.).
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
Goose
Russian oligarch
ESB Addict

vCash: 550

I think that a 10-8 round without a KD should be when a fighter gets outclassed ala Gatti-Mayweather, or if a fighter gets hurt somewhere in the middle of the round and spends the rest of the round just running and holding.

A 10-9 round with a knockdown could be if a fighter gets a flash knockdown and the other guy gets up immediately and fights back enough to show the judges that he is not hurt at all.
Goose is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
You probably do not want to watch the Czyz/O'Mara from a few years back then. Bobby won a clear shutout, but did not floor George; two judges had it 100/90, the other 100/71.

The fatal flaw in ten point must is that whether you win the round because you landed an extra jab, or because you dominated but did not floor your opponent the round is scored 10/9. Thus a fighter could in theory get a draw in a 12 rounder by landing a single extra jab in six rounds, and could be pasted but not knockdown in the other six...

That is why as much as it pains me to say it, a Hearns/LeonardII was no robbery. If you score it properly you struggle to get it better than 113/112 to Hearns, thus a draw seems fair.
I dont score rounds on who just landed the most punches though . You dont win rounds on landing an extra jab. Theres plenty of aspects to tak into consideration when judging a round. You can edge a round with a defensive move against a flurry. Like Duran in the 15th against Leonard the first time
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
I think that a 10-8 round without a KD should be when a fighter gets outclassed ala Gatti-Mayweather, or if a fighter gets hurt somewhere in the middle of the round and spends the rest of the round just running and holding.

A 10-9 round with a knockdown could be if a fighter gets a flash knockdown and the other guy gets up immediately and fights back enough to show the judges that he is not hurt at all.
I cant agree sorry , if you go down you should lose the 1 point. Its always been like that. Doesnt matter if you show you're not hurt. The other guy deserves his credit for putting you there.

What if a guy with hardly any punching power knows he needs that one extra point difference to get the decision and shows the character to get the knockdown in the last round , then the guy gets up and proves he wasnt hurt. Thats wrong
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum