Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Routine Advice

Hi all,

I normally train just as and when and make it up as i go along. Last night i sat down and decided to try and plan my routines out a bit. Just looking for any input really (hopefully from some of the resident experts) I know iv probably missed some glaringly obvious things but thats why im posting here.
Some info on me. I dont box at the moment due to injury and also im moving to oz soon. Id say im pretty fit and already train pretty hard just fancy getting things a bit more organized. I like alot of the ross training stuff and tried his 50 day program as closely as possible. Looking at my routine i think im really lacking quality Max strength training but im always crap at what to do and how to incorporate it. And for me personally out of Max strength explosive strength and endurance id probably consider max strength not quite as important to me.

Like i said probably loads im missing and not thought of but thats why i want the extra eyes to have a look. And no offence but if youve not done this sort of stuff yourself or not qualified kindly refrain from posting

Monday

Bootcamp... This is a circuit class i go to. Like any other i guess except i know the trainer and he knows im reasonably fit so its worth going as i get pushed that extra little bit than i would on my own

Tuesday

Sprints - Full sized football(soccer) pitch 4 laps of the outside
8 sprints of the length
16 sprints of the width

1 min rest between (working to get down to 30 seconds) except with the 16 sprints of the width of the pitch i was thinking perhaps windsprints (jog back and start straight away)

Then
Wide pull ups 6x4
Box jumps (on a bench) 1 min x 3 ( 1 min rest working to get down to 30 seconds)
Decline Push ups 20x 4
Squat jumps 1 min x 3 (1 min rest working to get down to 30 seconds) - this is done on steps but they are huge concrete ones each step comes up to around waist height jump up 2 then jump backwards down 2.
Chin ups 15x4

Ross training Core work out

Wednesday

Skip 10 mins
Ross Training Work Capacity 101 (20 mins on the clock on every 2nd minute you start 5 chins, 10 med ball slams, 15 burpees and 20 star jumps no break between exercises)
Heavy Bag work 6 x 3 min rounds 1 min rest inbetween

the finish with 2 min rounds 1 rest
R1 Push ups
R2 Squats (light weight)
R3 Calf raises (light weight)
R4 Sit ups
R5 leg raises
R6 trunk curls
R7 Side bends (dumbells in hands)
R8 Plank

Thursday

Skip 10 mins

Circuit 2 mins dead lift
1 min star jumps
2 min kettle bell swings( its a light kettle bell 6 kg)
1 min burpees
2 lunges holding dumbells
1 min med ball slams
2 min push ups (one hand raised then move over to other hand if you get me ??)
1 min star jumps
2 mins lifting 75lb heavy bag to shoulder.
1 maybe 2 mins rest then repeat 3 times
Note originally all the 1 minute exercises were going to be rest periods but i never find this challenging enough.

Ross training Core work out

Now thats what i have planned so far

I need a friday session which iv left free for suggestions, maybe a max strength training day as i think iv got conditioning covered. Or i may do a shorter pure sprints day. This is where i need your help , although im already picking what iv already done apart. This is my problem with planning workouts i always pick them apart and worry what iv left out thats why i need you guys
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Routine Advice

is this just your strength and conditioning stuff, or all your training?
Cos I don't see any boxing specific skill training. Just saying, not being a douche.
You could try a lot more shadowboxing, slip bag, slip line, shadowboxing with weights, etc.
Oh and no jogging, neck exercises, biking, shorter timed sprints?

Its also fun to mix stuff up, for example 30 sec sucides, 30 sec shadowboxing with weights, 30 sec shadwoboxing without weights, repeat once, makes a 3 min round.

Oh and you'll definitely want to throw in a lot of flexibility stuff because of all this strength training and sprints, it will help with general coordination.

I'm just saying what comes to mind and what my trainer always tells me. Carry on.
furor celtica is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by furor celtica View Post
Cos I don't see any boxing specific skill training. Just saying, not being a douche.
You could try a lot more shadowboxing, slip bag, slip line, shadowboxing with weights, etc.

Its also fun to mix stuff up, for example 30 sec sucides, 30 sec shadowboxing with weights, 30 sec shadwoboxing without weights, repeat once, makes a 3 min round.

Oh and you'll definitely want to throw in a lot of flexibility stuff because of all this strength training and sprints, it will help with general coordination.

I'm just saying what comes to mind and what my trainer always tells me. Carry on.
Im not boxing at the moment so not doing any boxing related stuff except shadow boxing on rest days probably. Dont believe in doing anything without a trainer or coach there to correct. Well nothing too technical. This is just about training side of things. When i move to oz im going to find a boxing gym there hopefully as good as my old one!

Deffinatly agree on the flexibilty but i thinking maybe on the rest day
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

No jogging dont believe in long slow jogs pretty pointless. Neck exercises yes i need to try and include something for that , biking i dont have a bike and dont quite know what that will achieve that sprints wouldnt. Shorter timed sprints yes i do want to include those. Im thinking on the friday i could do that working on maybe 100 m and just getting my times down.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
No jogging dont believe in long slow jogs pretty pointless. Neck exercises yes i need to try and include something for that , biking i dont have a bike and dont quite know what that will achieve that sprints wouldnt. Shorter timed sprints yes i do want to include those. Im thinking on the friday i could do that working on maybe 100 m and just getting my times down.
I find jogging very useful but it seems like you've already taken sides on it so I won't waste our time.
Well biking could be on a stationary bike, its like strength training for the legs + cardio. Mike Tyson used to do it. If you go maximum tension it can be pretty tough.

I do pilates and used to do yoga as well. I don't think I'll ever know if they actually help(ed), but I just keep it up out of superstition.

BTW you might want to take a break on the strength training though, like not three days in a row, try to space them out more evenly.

Anyway I guess its up to your daily schedule, I'm just throwing stuff around.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I find jogging very useful but it seems like you've already taken sides on it so I won't waste our time.
Well biking could be on a stationary bike, its like strength training for the legs + cardio. Mike Tyson used to do it. If you go maximum tension it can be pretty tough.

I do pilates and used to do yoga as well. I don't think I'll ever know if they actually help(ed), but I just keep it up out of superstition.

BTW you might want to take a break on the strength training though, like not three days in a row, try to space them out more evenly.

Anyway I guess its up to your daily schedule, I'm just throwing stuff around.
Iv not got access to a stationary bike, what im looking for isnt necessarily exercises its what its lacking and then the exercise i need to make it up. For example im not cycling, swimming, long distance running, rowing, cross trainer ect ect but am i not working a certain energy system, or need to work something more. Or is my max strength training lacking ect.

Dont need to do biking without a reason. If you do it great but i might be doing something else to get similar or the same results

Reasons being as well is i have no gym access and have an achillies injury so long distance would be out anyways.

Really like the idea of flexibility i need to come up with a good stretching routine which iv been looking into. I would love to go to a Pilates class but unfortunatly i have no money to spare at the mo.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

damn it I have a complete flexibility program but the uploader is skrewing up, maybe later sorry bro
Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
damn it I have a complete flexibility program but the uploader is skrewing up, maybe later sorry bro
no worries mate if you get a chance at any time it would be greatly appreciated even if you wanted to PM me it. Thanks for the help
Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

sorry man the picture files are too heavy for the forum, if you have an email address i can send them there
Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

seriously though, try jogging a bit, it can't hurt to try right. run 15 km a week for a month and see the difference it makes, it doesn't even take that much time or energy.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
seriously though, try jogging a bit, it can't hurt to try right. run 15 km a week for a month and see the difference it makes, it doesn't even take that much time or energy.
i used to do 6 miles every day and 10 miles on a Sunday mate. I love road work! I would much prefer to run 6-10 miles at a steady pace than do a sprints session. Unfortunately my Achilles wont take the pounding, and besides that i haven't found it benefits anything except being able to run further.

I do think though its good when your starting out to build a decent cardio base from jogging. And i dont think its something you loose easily either. After about a year of no long distance running a few weeks ago i was feeling a tad low (running was always my cure for this ) and went out and did 8 miles.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

oh well good for you then i guess, you definitely don't want to mess up your injury even more. its just some people diss roadwork without ever having done it, just cos its lame.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
oh well good for you then i guess, you definitely don't want to mess up your injury even more. its just some people diss roadwork without ever having done it, just cos its lame.
yup there called ignorant idiots. You can only know by trying and what works for some might not work for everyone. And it works both ways too plenty of people say you need to do morning road work everyday to have the stamina for boxing. But without ever trying sprints or HIIT and just doing because thats what the old timers did

Ignorance
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
luluxiu
Greenhand

It stationary bike in the bike, its the same leg strength training + cardio. Tyson used to do. If you go to maximum tension can be very difficult. I do pilates, yoga is also used to do so. I do not think I will ever know whether they really help, but I just kept it superstition.
luluxiu is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
digit
Journeyman

vCash: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Im not boxing at the moment so not doing any boxing related stuff except shadow boxing on rest days probably. Dont believe in doing anything without a trainer or coach there to correct. Well nothing too technical. This is just about training side of things. When i move to oz im going to find a boxing gym there hopefully as good as my old one!

Deffinatly agree on the flexibilty but i thinking maybe on the rest day

Where in Oz you moving to mate?
digit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing