Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 396
Default Crossfit anyone?

Does anyone have experience with the crossfit protocol? I am thinking about replacing just calithenics with this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know that it is picking up some steam in the military/police, and I wanted to know the opionion of ESB on it for boxing. I like the fact that they change exercice everyday, but I am afraid with no olympic weightlifting training, I might get some forms wrong or something.
SlickMick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
ElGalloNegro
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Crossfit anyone?

Look like killer workout sessions, Ross Training has some really good ones, you can check those out too.

Crossfit is bound to make your conditioning at top level I am sure.
ElGalloNegro is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Lightsout_Ruben
Believer

vCash: 75

I am in love with Cross fit bro, it is very intense and doesn't take up much time during the day. I can get an awesome workout session in 30 mins if I am in a time crunch. In my experience over the past 2 years it has lead to less injuries in those I work with, versus the normal grind of long drawn out workout sessions.
Lightsout_Ruben is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Its a little cult-ish, and some of it's followers get a little ate up by it... but that said, it's a great workout. Recommended.
LongJab is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Not recommended.

There's nothing sensible about having your workout chosen for you every day by a fat guy on the internet.

I know/have heard of exactly zero boxers who follow crossfit. Because it's not for boxers.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Very poor program. No rhyme or reason to the programming. Concept of being crosstrained across energy systems and strength training is good, but programming is all wrong. It is based very little on scientific research and it is VERY dangerous to do olympic lifts with the protocol they require. If you are training like a real boxer(ie. sparring several times a week, bag work) you will burn out very quickly.

My advice is avoid it.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonLPC View Post
Very poor program. No rhyme or reason to the programming. Concept of being crosstrained across energy systems and strength training is good, but programming is all wrong. It is based very little on scientific research and it is VERY dangerous to do olympic lifts with the protocol they require. If you are training like a real boxer(ie. sparring several times a week, bag work) you will burn out very quickly.

My advice is avoid it.
Thanks dudes...

Kill something and vonLPC please give me a bit more info and support for your arguments.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Thanks dudes...

Kill something and vonLPC please give me a bit more info and support for your arguments.
Of course. In all honesty, I can't figure out what they are trying to do with the programming. They will have a power lifting workout, then an absolutely exhausting met con workout, then a workout which takes up to one hour, it makes no sense and is not geared toward anything in particular with the exception of getting better at crossfit.

Most crossfit workouts consists of some type of metcon work, resulting in the heart rate rising above the anaerobic threshold frequently. Boxing, whether amateur or pro, relies primarily on the aerobic system for energy(most figures in energy expenditure charts for muay thai and boxing 3 x 2 rds show a 65% of energy below anaerobic threshold, pro bouts even higher) thus utilizing the oxidative energy system. That being said, crossfit does very little work in the aerobic energy system, far too little to make the cardiac adaptations stable. In addition, Crossfit combined with boxing is a recipe for burnout. The work would be too much, regardless of level of fitness.

In addition, their strength protocols do not support the necessary recovery needed, as so much other work during the week relies heavily on met con workouts, and other taxing methods.

The idea of "CROSS" fit, meaning being fit across all energy systems, strength, agility, etd. is a great concept. In order to train this properly, one would need to assess their areas of weakness, and program 6-8 week training blocks to address that weakness, perhaps much longer. For example, I have always had good strength, but difficulty with cardio. Therefore, I could do 1 weight workout per week 1-2 heavy sets, but would need to program cardio workouts 3-4 times weekly, keeping HR at or below anaerobic threshold for 6-8 weeks in order for cardiac adaptations to begin to stabilize.

I do not believe under any circumstances in any one size fits all workout program. Hopefully it makes sense why not to do O lifts/variations of technical proficiency such as snatches, Overhead squats,etc. with fatiguing types of workouts.

Hopefully that supports my strong original post against Crossfit for boxing.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonLPC View Post
Of course. In all honesty, I can't figure out what they are trying to do with the programming. They will have a power lifting workout, then an absolutely exhausting met con workout, then a workout which takes up to one hour, it makes no sense and is not geared toward anything in particular with the exception of getting better at crossfit.

Most crossfit workouts consists of some type of metcon work, resulting in the heart rate rising above the anaerobic threshold frequently. Boxing, whether amateur or pro, relies primarily on the aerobic system for energy(most figures in energy expenditure charts for muay thai and boxing 3 x 2 rds show a 65% of energy below anaerobic threshold, pro bouts even higher) thus utilizing the oxidative energy system. That being said, crossfit does very little work in the aerobic energy system, far too little to make the cardiac adaptations stable. In addition, Crossfit combined with boxing is a recipe for burnout. The work would be too much, regardless of level of fitness.

In addition, their strength protocols do not support the necessary recovery needed, as so much other work during the week relies heavily on met con workouts, and other taxing methods.

The idea of "CROSS" fit, meaning being fit across all energy systems, strength, agility, etd. is a great concept. In order to train this properly, one would need to assess their areas of weakness, and program 6-8 week training blocks to address that weakness, perhaps much longer. For example, I have always had good strength, but difficulty with cardio. Therefore, I could do 1 weight workout per week 1-2 heavy sets, but would need to program cardio workouts 3-4 times weekly, keeping HR at or below anaerobic threshold for 6-8 weeks in order for cardiac adaptations to begin to stabilize.

I do not believe under any circumstances in any one size fits all workout program. Hopefully it makes sense why not to do O lifts/variations of technical proficiency such as snatches, Overhead squats,etc. with fatiguing types of workouts.

Hopefully that supports my strong original post against Crossfit for boxing.
All of what von said.

Additionally, there's really no progression built into the program. Just random workouts every day, many of which are really complicated and dangerous for some folks.

I especially agree with the idea that Crossfit is designed to make you better at Crossfit. Most of the improvements in workout times that people cite can simply be attributed to better form or worse form. Ie you can cheat your way through a workout and hurt yourself to get a better time. They basically encourage this (look at all the photos they have of folks with the skin ripped off their palms).
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Thanks a lot that makes sense
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks to all, informative posts... I guess I will not be trying Olympic Lifting then.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickMick View Post
Thanks to all, informative posts... I guess I will not be trying Olympic Lifting then.
Olympic lifting has **** all to do with Crossift. Why would you not do OL?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Dio
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 429

Yall put that crossfit thing down, doing this work out here will be making you hit as hard as tyson and as fast as manny. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozvH6VmVeI[/ame]
Dio is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Wait... doesn't crossfit incorporate Oly lifting every now and then in the WOD??? I was under the impression that it was fairly well integrated in it:

Maybe they drastically changed their methodology since that time, but you tell me.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickMick View Post
Wait... doesn't crossfit incorporate Oly lifting every now and then in the WOD??? I was under the impression that it was fairly well integrated in it:

Maybe they drastically changed their methodology since that time, but you tell me.
I was wondering why you wouldn't do olympic lifts just because you're not going to do Crossfit...
viru§™ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing