Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default sturm/macklin

i asked yesterday in a thread if decision's like the one yesterday for sturm might make credible contenders stay away from germany .when it appears you have to KO the german fighter to get a draw.

then by magic overnight the thread vanished with-out explanation. does this mean that quite a few girlie germans cried to the mods and it was removed . come on germans be honest there is something wrong in german boxing
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: sturm/macklin

Yiddle, it wasn't a robbery at all, it was a close fight that could have gone either way. A draw or a close points decision in favour of any of the two would have been acceptable, imo. Sturms performance no doubt was dissapointing, his trying to fight toe to toe with the guest was plain wrong strategy, his style can never be that of a slugger, he lacks the workrate for it, and the punching power, he should have stuck to the jab and move style thats made him successful, keeping the guy at bey, fighting from the outside. He s become so immobile, especially lacked lateral movement which would have been the key yesterday.

But it was no robbery, it simply was a close fight, which in itself speaks badly of sturms performance, because the guest as busy, ambitious and game as he was, is a one dimensional fighter.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

To me this was a clear robbery, and I am not boxing in Germany hater. No way in the world did Sturn win more than 4-5 rounds, I mean, you need to actually land punches to win rounds.
madpuppy is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Sturm did land the cleaner shots while the guest was way busier overall, though it has to be said the majority of his shots were blocked by sturms gloves and thus come under the label of called ineffective aggresiveness
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

You lot get that mixed up, clear robberies is what you see when german based fighters fight for a title in the states, all of them have been robbed, Schulz vs foreman, sturm vs de la hoya and most recently zbik vs Chavez, even grigorian freitas was dodgy.

In this one here, had Macklin taken the title by a 115-113 verdict Id not have complained as he worked more and by quite a bit. It has to be noted, he did land on Sturms arms/gloves a lot, he did fade towards the end, he did fight the titleholder in his backyard, he wasnt rocking or wobbling sturm at no moment, all in all it would have been insolence to expect a clear verdict for the guest under these circumstances. Its calling for a rematch and from what sturm said there will be one.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

flurry i think the absolute best sturm could of hoped for was a home decision lucky draw (which he did not deserve)by the way i had expected sturm to win by UD.

if you were an oversea's fighter or manager of a fighter going for world honours would you take a fighter to germany to face a german champion .i would look for a different path myself and in the long run that will only hurt boxing in germany surely
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Same BS as susual, a close fight and itīs a robbery. Who were the same people a few weeks back when the same happened in Mexico with Chavez-Zbik? Or where were the same people when the corrupt ref waved the fight of as soon as Cleverly landed a solid punch in his last outing? Double standards and whining ... get over it.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Same BS as susual, a close fight and itīs a robbery. Who were the same people a few weeks back when the same happened in Mexico with Chavez-Zbik? Or where were the same people when the corrupt ref waved the fight of as soon as Cleverly landed a solid punch in his last outing? Double standards and whining ... get over it.
not double standards at all bodhi the zbik fight i have not seen so i cant comment on that one, but the cleverly fight was a stopped way to quickly and the vast majority of uk boxing fans slammed that decision.so shut the **** up with the double standards and whining bollocks you are trying to cloud the issue with.
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
not double standards at all bodhi the zbik fight i have not seen so i cant comment on that one, but the cleverly fight was a stopped way to quickly and the vast majority of uk boxing fans slammed that decision.so shut the **** up with the double standards and whining bollocks you are trying to cloud the issue with.
I wonder if you cried robbery too when Froch won that close fight with Dirrell
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
Goodhill
Iron Horse - born to lose
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

IMO Macklin won by 1-2 rounds, but this wasnīt a robbery. A draw would have been OK as well. There were close rounds in which either of them could be called a winner of the round. I wished for Mack to win, he has pitbull -like attitude and keeps on pressing his opponent. What was surprising was how clueless Sturm seemed in various occasions when Mack got his barrage in full gear. Where was Sturms jab? After the fight I was thinking that we just might see similar start in Wlad vs Haye next Saturday.

Alexander vs Matthysse was a robbery. There was clear rounds (at least 5 + KD) in which nobody can see Devon as the winner. Also Kotelnik got robbed against Alexander if my memory serves well.
Goodhill is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

I repeat if Macklin - who fought with a lot of heart - had walked away with the title after a 115-113 in his favour I d have said "fair decision", but the fight was too close to call a SD in Sturms favour a robbery.

The most intrigueing thing I learned was sturm's sliding by all accounts, his best assets always used to be his jab and his mobility, in the last few rounds you could see what a mobile and active sturm could have done to macklin had he kept it up but things the way they were for the majority of the fight he stood still behind his gloved glued to his face defence awaiting for maklin to unleash and throwing occasional (though often accurate) counters. THis was barely enough for macklin but they re other calibres out there.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I had it 115-113 to Sturm.

And I wanted Macklin to win.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Germany thinks Macklin won easily

Axel Schulz gave Macklin 9 rounds
Sebastian Zbik gave Macklin 10 rounds
Sat.1 (broadcasting channel) online viewers voting 75% of the Germans had Macklin winning
veteran official Jean-Marcel Nartz called the decision "a disgrace to the sport of boxing in Germany"
the artical says Sturm got an undeserved gift and the decision was scandalous and most spectators were shocked when the decision was announced
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

obvioulsy not not everyone from Germany is clueless joke like Flurry and bodhi
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

One line viewers mean shit, many of them dont even know how a boxing fight is scored. According to your own article the judge who came up with the 115-113 score in favour of Macklin was the "more realistic" one, that's incidentally the same score I felt would have been fairest (see above), and thats a far cry from a robbery. Schulz saw him three instead of two rounds ahead,
zbik and former matchmaker nartz were out of line with their scoring, as simple as that, whats concerned with zbik, one shouldnt forget he s a home rival of sturms and the worse sturm's performance is protrayed the better for zbik, who himself got robbed in a title fight in the states last month.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Boxing news calls it a "robbery" but aside of using this term backs my opinion of the fight 100%:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"One judge gave the bout rightfully to Macklin in an extremely close contest scoring it 115-113. "

"However, the other two judges both scored the bout 116-112! That is by far the widest wrong decision I have seen in a while as Macklin’s work rate was tremendous throughout never stopping even for breath. Sturm was always dangerous and played a huge part in possibly the fight of the year.

Sturm in small bursts showed champion quality especially in the last round which if it had gone any longer Macklin would have been knocked out. Last round aside Macklin deserved the win if not then at least a draw. "

The author of the article basically says a 115-113 score would have been most correct, yet admits macklin at least deserved a draw.
How the **** can that be a robbery as witless user escupita claimed?
Flurry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum