Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #16
matt_maxx
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: sturm/macklin

It was a clear win for the Irish who was constantly working and scoring against a flatfooted Sturm. Sturm was only standing in front of Macklin as an immobile target, letting Macklin come close without any resistence or footwork. Me thinks Sturm thought Macklin would run out of gas later on but Macklin didnt. And when ever Sturm did fight back and landed a punch Macklin answered immediately. You can give Sturm only 3 or 4 rounds. Thats it. Sturm was to inactive, immobile and tight. Only the last round he convincingly tried to turn the tide which was nice to see but in the end too late and not enough.

It is sad, I became so used to robberies (all over the world) that I dont get angry any more about it.
matt_maxx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

There's a few Irish posters on the general board who feel Sturm won the fight, which is a prime example on why boxing fights and especially close fights like this one are hard to score and its basically up to what your preference whether its high but often inefficient workrate or scarcer workrate combined with the more accurate targeting that wins a fight.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
matt_maxx
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post
One line viewers mean shit, many of them dont even know how a boxing fight is scored.
Thats a knockout argument which never fails. God bless that at least you know how to score a fight.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_maxx View Post
Thats a knockout argument which never fails. God bless that at least you know how to score a fight.
Brilliant, you have convinced me
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
matt_maxx
Journeyman

Quote:
There's a few Irish posters on the general board who feel Sturm won the fight, which is a prime example on why boxing fights and especially close fights like this one are hard to score and its basically up to what your preference whether its high but often inefficient workrate or scarcer workrate combined with the more accurate targeting that wins a fight.
May be the Irish were to drunk to score correctly .

When I look at German boxing boards the tune is pretty different. Most had Macklin winning. Even the commenators were critical about the decision and Sturm didnt show up for an interview after the fight. I wonder why?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
May be the Irish were to drunk to score correctly .

When I look at German boxing boards the tune is pretty different. Most had Macklin winning. Even the commenators were critical about the decision and Sturm didnt show up for an interview after the fight. I wonder why?
Firstly I would have felt comfortable with Macklin just nicking a close decision as I have pointed out. But I feel its way out of line to call this a robbery, macklin wasnt convincing enough for that, he was the more active boxer but neither the harder punching one nor the more accurate one.

Sturm was interviewed right after the fight in the ring, if Im not mistaken.

I cant speak for foreign broadcasters, only for the german ones, most often they re the most critical of commentators (except for sauerland events) because when the home town fighters they present to the viewers fails to fulfill the expectations, like Sturm here who was expected to dominate the guest, they feel its their job to point out to the viewers what is it he's doing wrong and falling short of expectations.

I was disappointed with sturm's display and felt he fought a bad fight, but does that mean this was as clear cut a macklin win as some screamers make it out? nope, not in my opinion. It was simply a close fight.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
One line viewers mean shit, many of them dont even know how a boxing fight is scored. According to your own article the judge who came up with the 115-113 score in favour of Macklin was the "more realistic" one, that's incidentally the same score I felt would have been fairest (see above), and thats a far cry from a robbery. Schulz saw him three instead of two rounds ahead,
zbik and former matchmaker nartz were out of line with their scoring, as simple as that, whats concerned with zbik, one shouldnt forget he s a home rival of sturms and the worse sturm's performance is protrayed the better for zbik, who himself got robbed in a title fight in the states last month.
It reflects the general view on that disgraceful decision in Strumīs home country
and at least the 115-113 judge had the right man winning yet he was still too cautious towards Strum with that scoring after Sturm got abused as a punching bag by Macklin who won 9 rounds crystal clear
Zbik beat Chavez as well but that doesnīt make the things better
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escopeta View Post
It reflects the general view on that disgraceful decision in Strumīs home country
and at least the 115-113 judge had the right man winning yet he was still too cautious towards Strum with that scoring after Sturm got abused as a punching bag by Macklin who won 9 rounds crystal clear
With that statement you re at least as far out as the ones saying sturm actually won the fight. Its simply the other extreme end of scoring done here, I gave you a link to boxing news, the author said is should have been 115- 113 macklin or at least a draw. Your 9-3 score in favour of macklin is outright laughable
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
matt_maxx
Journeyman

Quote:
Firstly I would have felt comfortable with Macklin just nicking a close decision as I have pointed out. But I feel its way out of line to call this a robbery, macklin wasnt convincing enough for that, he was the more active boxer but neither the harder punching one nor the more accurate one.
He landed enough clear shots in the infightand many bodyshots as well. He busted Sturms face up and that was the leather of his gloves and not his forehead as Sturm claimed. That many clear shots Sturm didnt had at all either. And it doenst matter who punches harder. When a punchs connects it should count but hey people dont know to score fights, isnt it .

Quote:
Sturm was interviewed right after the fight in the ring, if Im not mistaken.
Yes in the ring. But usally they meet after the fight, show highlites and let the boxer commentate. Schulz and Kerner were waiting for Felix but he didint show up. May be he knew that his performance didnt justify the verdict.

Quote:
I cant speak for foreign broadcasters, only for the german ones, most often they re the most critical of commentators (except for sauerland events) because when the home town fighters they present to the viewers fails to fulfill the expectations, like Sturm here who was expected to dominate the guest, they feel its their job to point out to the viewers what is it he's doing wrong and falling short of expectations.
You are joking. Usally the German commentators brushing the fight in favour of their hometown fighter missing to point out when the oponent scores emphasise on the action of their home fighter. Back in the day Tobias Drews used to be an neutral commentator (as long Osar del a Hoya wasnt fighting). But that was when he worked for the pay tv channel. That changed when he went to RTL. When a tv channel is behind a boxer the commentator will always speak in his favour him. The worst of them all was Guenter Peter Ploog.

Quote:
I was disappointed with sturm's display and felt he fought a bad fight, but does that mean this was as clear cut a macklin win as some screamers make it out? nope, not in my opinion. It was simply a close fight.
Well, in my opinion u know u are wrong but defending Germans boxing here on this borad became a such strong reflex for u (and Bhodi) that u write before u think.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #25
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
With that statement you re at least as far out as the ones saying sturm actually won the fight. Its simply the other extreme end of scoring done here, I gave you a link to boxing news, the author said is should have been 115- 113 macklin or at least a draw. Your 9-3 score in favour of macklin is outright laughable
the link ainīt even working in the first place and the quote from that article you posted just says that the one judge who had Macklin winning saw a very close contest and the other two judges were terribly wrong
i call it how i see it and Macklin threw more punches, landed more clean punches, hurt Strum and made Sturm to fight his fight throughout while Sturm tried to hide himself behind his guard for at least two minutes in nearly every round and got punished and pushed around by a superior fighter that night 117-111 easy win for Macklin who got blatantly robbed after he dominated the fight
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
He landed enough clear shots in the infightand many bodyshots as well. He busted Sturms face up and that was the leather of his gloves and not his forehead as Sturm claimed. That many clear shots Sturm didnt had at all either. And it doenst matter who punches harder. When a punchs connects it should count but hey people dont know to score fights, isnt it .

Yes in the ring. But usally they meet after the fight, show highlites and let the boxer commentate. Schulz and Kerner were waiting for Felix but he didint show up. May be he knew that his performance didnt justify the verdict.

You are joking. Usally the German commentators brushing the fight in favour of their hometown fighter missing to point out when the oponent scores emphasise on the action of their home fighter. Back in the day Tobias Drews used to be an neutral commentator (as long Osar del a Hoya wasnt fighting). But that was when he worked for the pay tv channel. That changed when he went to RTL. When a tv channel is behind a boxer the commentator will always speak in his favour him. The worst of them all was Guenter Peter Ploog.

Well, in my opinion u know u are wrong but defending Germans boxing here on this borad became a such strong reflex for u (and Bhodi) that u write before u think.

Nope, so much text and so little meaning , and repeating it wont make it any better. I stick to what I saw and this has been backed and confirmed by most sources that I have read or heard, most reliable sources I should add and not the ones trying to prove a stereotype, like escupir ieta.

This fight was a close fight that could have gone either way. Sturm did have the cleaner shots on target but less of them than the more active and agile guest. He also had the better finish which is the last big impact made on the judges. The guest had to show more for being the underdog abroad fighting the titleholder on his hometurf.

Pressed for a scoring I d say the guest took it by a very slight margin, confirmed by most journalist opinions I ve read. THis includes the possibility it was a draw or a narrow homefighers win.
Lets stick to the basics and not invent fairy tales, so in case you come back come back with something essential and not online scoring or so

Last edited by Flurry; 06-26-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escopeta View Post
the link ainīt even working in the first place and the quote from that article you posted just says that the one judge who had Macklin winning saw a very close contest and the other two judges were terribly wrong
i call it how i see it and Macklin threw more punches, landed more clean punches, hurt Strum and made Sturm to fight his fight throughout while Sturm tried to hide himself behind his guard for at least two minutes in nearly every round and got punished and pushed around by a superior fighter that night 117-111 easy win for Macklin who got blatantly robbed after he dominated the fight
It proved my point, namely that it was a close fight and that he (the guy writing the article) saw a narrow winner, the guest from ireland. Before you even first posted in this thread I had come up with exactly the same score. You re right Sturm often did wait for some time after the rounds had started, in the obvious intent of letting the guest outpunch himself before unleashing, not in all rounds though, i remember it was the 10th or 11th when he came out storming bombing the Irishman with 10 punches non stop, admittedly he couldnt keep it up.

All in all theres no disputing (and not even by the commentartors) that Strum had the neater shots. He did have the more cleanly landed shots. Period. The question is if that sufficed to nick rounds compared to the much higher workrate though often also more inaccurate work of the guest who was often punching to Sturms guard or arms. Or his body, the guest also had a lot of body shots on target.

I hope they can arrange a rematch
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #28
matt_maxx
Journeyman

Quote:
Nope, so much text and so little meaning , and repeating it wont make it any better. I stick to what I saw and this has been backed and confirmed by most sources that I have read or heard, most reliable sources I should add and not the ones trying to prove a stereotype, like escupir ieta.
What sources? U are always talking about your opinion which u are repeating over and over again !

Quote:
Sturm did have the cleaner shots on target but less of them than the more active and agile guest.
How can u have Sturm winning as one of the few persons here who know how to score the fight. U wrote here clearly that Macklin landed more on Sturm than the other way round. Thanx for that!!

Quote:
He also had the better finish which is the last big impact made on the judges.
The finish won him the last round. Not the whole fight. 10:9 for Sturm in rd 12. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Pressed for a scoring I d say the guest took it by a very slight margin, confirmed by most journalist opinions I ve read. THis includes the possibility it was a draw or a narrow himefighers win.
Lets stick to the basics and not invent fairy tales, so in case you come back come back with something essential and not online scoring or so
Boxing journalists are just people like u and me. Zbik said that Macklin should have won and if anybody knows anything about boxing than a boxer and not a journalist who is paying more attention to the ring girls than anything else.

But may be u take a look here:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But I know in good ESB manner u will again answer saying the same thing over and over again becoz the one who posts last must be the one who is right. But its Sunday, weather is becoming good. I am out.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #29
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
It proved my point, namely that it was a close fight and that he (the guy writing the article) saw a narrow winner, the guest from ireland. Before you even first posted in this thread I had come up with exactly the same score. You re right Sturm often did wait for some time after the rounds had started, in the obvious intent of letting the guest outpunch himself before unleashing, not in all rounds though, i remember it was the 10th or 11th when he came out storming bombing the Irishman with 10 punches non stop, admittedly he couldnt keep it up.

All in all there is no disputing (and not even by the commentators) that Strum had the neater shots. He did have the more cleanly landed shots. Period. The question is if that sufficed to nick rounds compared to the much higher work rate though often also more inaccurate work of the guest who was often punching to Sturm's guard or arms. Or his body, the guest also had a lot of body shots on target.

I hope they can arrange a rematch
a rematch would be good and apparently both boxers have agreed but it will have to be in germany.sturm is one boxer however that i can understand being reluctant to leave germany , a robbery not in the whitaker/ramirez (I) sense no, but macklin clearly won more rounds than sturm and deserved better from the judges
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I wonder if you cried robbery too when Froch won that close fight with Dirrell
i thought froch just won but that was a fight that could of gone either way .and one which i would not choose to watch again
Mr Butt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum