Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
diehard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Tua vs Barrett II Redemption

They fight their rematch August 13th. Tua said that if he wins in spectacular fashion (Translation: KO) he may be in line to get a shot at the title. He first needs to beat a top WBO for a mandatory in order to get decent money from WLAD.

Anybody have any predictions about this fight? Anyone care?
diehard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Tua vs Barrett II Redemption

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Fists o Foreman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
They fight their rematch August 13th. Tua said that if he wins in spectacular fashion (Translation: KO) he may be in line to get a shot at the title. He first needs to beat a top WBO for a mandatory in order to get decent money from WLAD.

Anybody have any predictions about this fight? Anyone care?
Firstly If you have to name a rematch with 40 year old Monte Barrett "Redemption".....then you know you are in trouble!

Tua is wishful thinking if he thinks that beating Monte Barrett....however "spectacular" is going to earn him a title shot with Wlad!

Barrett has been Koed all too easily relatively recently by Haye and Solis.........and that was in one fight with Barrett not two.

The ONLY chance Tua will have of getting a title shot would be to KO a string of young unbeaten upcoming fighters......not old "never was" fighters like Barrett!

Last edited by Fists o Foreman; 08-05-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Fists o Foreman is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists o Foreman View Post
Firstly If you have to name a rematch with 40 year old Monte Barrett "Redemption".....then you know you are in trouble!

Tua is wishful thinking if he thinks that beating Monte Barrette....however "spectacular" is going to earn him a title shot with Wlad!

Barrett has been Koed all too easily relatively recently by Haye and Solis.........and that was in one fight with Barrett not two.

The ONLY chance Tua will have of getting a title shot would be to KO a string of young unbeaten upcoming fighters......not old "never was" fighters like Barrett!
Agreed!
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
chico g
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1038

Tua had a bad shoulder apparently......well apparently....
chico g is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Tua is wishful thinking if he thinks that beating Monte Barrett....however "spectacular" is going to earn him a title shot with Wlad!

Agreed. Tua simply having to rematch a 2011 Barrett says Tua is done and should probably hope he gets a big fight sooner than later. I agree with your post except for the part about Barrett being a "never was". Barrett isn't going into the hall of fame or anything but he was, for a few years, a solid fighter. From the late 90s til around the mid 2000s Barrett was either a top ten or borderline top ten guy. He knocked a few prospects off along the way.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Fists o Foreman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGART View Post
Agreed. Tua simply having to rematch a 2011 Barrett says Tua is done and should probably hope he gets a big fight sooner than later. I agree with your post except for the part about Barrett being a "never was". Barrett isn't going into the hall of fame or anything but he was, for a few years, a solid fighter. From the late 90s til around the mid 2000s Barrett was either a top ten or borderline top ten guy. He knocked a few prospects off along the way.
I hear what you are saying about Barrett......maybe it's me being bitter because I lost a whole heap of money when Barrett beat the then undefeated hot prospect Dominic Guinn!

I guess what I mean by "Never was" is that Barrett perhaps did beat a few "prospects"...... but those "prospects" actually didn't turn out to be much after all.
To me Barrett was a solid tester for the likes of Joe Messi etc......but not much beyond that.

Last edited by Fists o Foreman; 08-05-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

I am interested in this, most certainly.

I think Barrett will outbox Tua and win a decision, with probably a couple KDs in the process. Tua is a shell of hls former self, as is Barrett, but he's got more left than Tua.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
when Barrett beat the then undefeated hot prospect Dominic Guinn!
I saw that fight, too. Long time ago. I think it was on a Joe Mesi undercard, right?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Fists o Foreman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand View Post
I saw that fight, too. Long time ago. I think it was on a Joe Mesi undercard, right?
Not too sure........but I do know my pockets were much much lighter that night!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I hear what you are saying about Barrett......maybe it's me being bitter because I lost a whole heap of money when Barrett beat the then undefeated hot prospect Dominic Guinn!

I guess what I mean by "Never was" is that Barrett perhaps did beat a few "prospects"...... but those "prospects" actually didn't turn out to me much after all.
To me Barrett was a solid tester for the likes of Joe Messi etc......but not much beyond that.

Yeah, I remember Barrett upsetting Guinn and getting the ball rolling on the downfall of Guinn's once promising career. He was a good test for top prospects, guys like Guinn and Beck got beat by Barrett while Mesi got by him. I'll always be grateful to Barrett for putting an end to that awful push Top Rank was giving to Tye Fields at one time. Barrett ko'd him in one round and Arum finally put an end to his Tye Fields era.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Just to point out, their first fight was superb.

However limited they might be these days, I never got the sense that either one was trying to cash out. They both gave it 100%.
Yes, agree.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
james5000
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1400

If Chisora beat Fury he was going to get a title shot lol.

Between the two of them they have beaten sweet f all.

Tua's had 1 shot in an era where every man and his dog has had multiple undeserving shots.

If Tua takes Barretts head off he will have proven his past few performances have been injury hampered. Why not give Tua one last pay day? There are way less deserving people out there i can think of.
james5000 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum