Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

BORKED
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 963
vCash: 1305
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

good one nice post
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,317
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Fitzsimmons knocked out 7 men in one night with the fights totaling 19 rounds? Wow.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

That may or may not be true. No one has located the date for these alleged exhibitions.
apollack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Fitzsimmons knocked out 7 men in one night with the fights totaling 19 rounds? Wow.
yea, and all those men weighed over 250 pounds!

myth.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,317
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
yea, and all those men weighed over 250 pounds!

myth.
The video says all men weighed over 200 pounds, and one was 250 pounds. It does not say all 7 men weighed over 250 pounds!
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 340
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
That may or may not be true. No one has located the date for these alleged exhibitions.
September 5th, 1893?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Sam Dixon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 229
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpWithEvil
September 5th, 1893?
On that date, I wouldn't think so, seeing as how Fitzsimmons' fight against Hickey was said to have taken place in the late evening on that date (around 10:30 PM), and seeing as how Fitz was reported to already be in New Jersey (he held camp in Eagle Rock, NJ) training for it in the immediate days leading up to it.

It may have happened on another date, but I'm quite sceptical in regards to that specific date.

Fitzsimmons won the scheduled four rounder against Hickey by stoppage, by the way, and not a three round decision as some may view the listing in the link to be (Hickey's corner threw in the sponge during the third after Fitz was said to have knocked him down a couple times in that same round).
Sam Dixon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Sam is absolutely correct. On Sep 5, 1893, Fitz was in Newark, NJ, and stopped Jack Hickey in the 3rd round.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dixon
On that date, I wouldn't think so, seeing as how Fitzsimmons' fight against Hickey was said to have taken place in the late evening on that date (around 10:30 PM), and seeing as how Fitz was reported to already be in New Jersey (he held camp in Eagle Rock, NJ) training for it in the immediate days leading up to it.

It may have happened on another date, but I'm quite sceptical in regards to that specific date.

Fitzsimmons won the scheduled four rounder against Hickey by stoppage, by the way, and not a three round decision as some may view the listing in the link to be (Hickey's corner threw in the sponge during the third after Fitz was said to have knocked him down a couple times in that same round).
apollack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
The video says all men weighed over 200 pounds, and one was 250 pounds. It does not say all 7 men weighed over 250 pounds!
my mistake.

Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

adam how is the book going?
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 340
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

That's odd; I wonder where the 5 September date comes from then?

I also noted on the CBZ page that Fitzsimmons isn't credited with beating a second opponent in Chicago on 25 March, contrary to the Chicago Times the following day. These sorts of exhibitions must be remarkably hard to track; I know in the case of Jim Jeffries' European tours, I have a few newspaper reports from the UK offering short blubs to the effect, "Champion boxer James J Jeffries will be in Cardiff this evening to accept gloved challenges from the audience," but not a word written in the subsequent week.
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Hey, it's great that we all try to help each other figure all this out. That's how we clear history up.

I'm currently working on my Fitzsimmons book. I've already got well over 300 pages written.

First thing's first. Let me know how you all like IN THE RING WITH JAMES J. CORBETT.
apollack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013