Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Why does HBO care

Why does HBO care if files of the 24/7 episodes are spread across the net? Wouldn't it be to their advantage cause it can only result in more buys....?
cardstars is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Default Re: Why does HBO care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evisceration
I think it just has to do with the fact that HBO prides itself on being like this holier than thou, above all (it's not tv it's HBO) thing and so it wants to separate itself from all the other stations that have their shows all over you tube so that it retains that aura of being on a 'higher level' as if HBO is aristocracy to the serfdom of network television. And so they feel that ANYTHING, even a 24/7 show that appears on youtube may tarnish that untouchable image. They want EVERYONE to pay(subscribe to hbo) for being given the PRIVILEGE to watch HBO.
well la-de-dah they can bite me!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
lyraus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What's even more retarded is that initially they put the first episode of 24/7 on their website so anyone could log on and watch it free of charge. They then suddenly decided, "No, we won't do that anymore, bad idea" and have since taken them down and now only show small clips from the show.

Youtube has such a massive reach, that if HBO actually created their own channel on their and let people watch the 24/7 on it, they would probably literally DOUBLE then amount of views it gets. Plus, if anyone actually has HBO they'd still watch the regular version anyway because it's better to watch it on a real TV, so it wouldn't even hurt their ratings at all.
lyraus is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyraus
What's even more retarded is that initially they put the first episode of 24/7 on their website so anyone could log on and watch it free of charge. They then suddenly decided, "No, we won't do that anymore, bad idea" and have since taken them down and now only show small clips from the show.

Youtube has such a massive reach, that if HBO actually created their own channel on their and let people watch the 24/7 on it, they would probably literally DOUBLE then amount of views it gets. Plus, if anyone actually has HBO they'd still watch the regular version anyway because it's better to watch it on a real TV, so it wouldn't even hurt their ratings at all.
Good points you have there. I just think that they have to have some sort of other reasoning for not letting them out.....they are only hurting themselves from my viewpoint
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

yeah that doesnt make any sense either 2 pull them from youtube
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

I don't understand it either - perhaps it has something to do with copyright laws, but keeping it up on the web would ensure more people actually see it. Which in turn would lead to more buys.

At least they could put it on On-Demand the very next day.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i dont give a shit i get that and all the other channels for 99.99thats 8 hbos 8 sho 6 cinimax,10 starz 8 encors and 4 tmc. plus a hole lot more through dish i also got comcast on back up in case there is ever a problem.

quit crying and just shell out or go over a friends house ....
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tays001
i dont give a shit i get that and all the other channels for 99.99thats 8 hbos 8 sho 6 cinimax,10 starz 8 encors and 4 tmc. plus a hole lot more through dish i also got comcast on back up in case there is ever a problem.

I have hbo....the point is that it is a pain in the ass (if not impossible) to find it if you miss it. With my schedule and work I spend more time on the internet and away from home than anything else.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tays001

relax dude, I got HBO and I seen it already. For the people who cant aford HBO and have the internet, it makes no sense to take it off youtube. This would explose more people to seeing it, and mayb want 2 buy the fight. So this is bad marketing strategy on HBO's part.
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstars
I have hbo....the point is that it is a pain in the ass (if not impossible) to find it if you miss it. With my schedule and work I spend more time on the internet and away from home than anything else.
my next point, about peoples schedules, you beat me to it
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 289

To me it makes sense why boxing has become so unpopular. No other sport makes it so impossible to actually watch it! Trying to follow boxing and not go broke is like trying to be a junky and not get busted for smack. The truth is it is very hard just talking to people about boxing because the sport has become so removed from the mainstream that most people have never heard of Hatton or Mayweather until only recently with the 24/7 shows. I see greed as the one thing that can truly kill this great sport that was once as American and mainstream as baseball and apple pie.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #12
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

They most likely do it for legal purposes guys. No need to get your panties ina bunch.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #13
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut
They most likely do it for legal purposes guys. No need to get your panties ina bunch.
Figured that was the case....but they have to know it is hurting them in the long run, so is there really nothing they can do about it? Its just extremely annoying and makes it harder for boxing to become mainstream. Sorry but my panties are indeed in a bunch
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #14
knockout
Make my day
ESB Addict

Good question i guess there morons.
knockout is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #15
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

In a similar vein has anyone posted a 'non Youtube' site with Episode 3 yet?? I dont fancy watching the edited Sky Sports version tonight, would rather watch the real deal!!
grayggr is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum