Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Those annoying, stupid injuries

This is a thread for all those niggling, tiny injuries that sound pathetic but still put you out of action for a while.

I'm sure we all know guys (or have been the guys) who have broken their hands or blown out their knees or torn a shoulder to pieces, but what about the annoying little shit injuries that still affect you in a big way?

Things like broken toes, or dislocated fingers. I knew a guy once who lost the nail off his thumb (doing something stupid), it put him out of training for about 2 weeks.

The inspiration for this thread is that I woke up this morning with acute wry neck. I'd never heard of it until today, and the physio tells me there's no way to predict it, they don't really know what causes it, and you don't need a history of neck injuries to acquire it.

I just woke up this morning with an insanely stiff neck, and if I try to turn my head to the left I drop to the ground and literally scream in pain. Every now and then there's a muscle spasm that will pretty much knock me on my arse for a second or two.

It should loosen up as the day goes on, and I've just got to keep it stretched and mobile, but when I wake up tomorrow morning I'll be ****ed again, because it will stiffen up over night. I've just got to put up with it until it's better. Could be a week, could be a month... either way I'm out of training for a little while.
Primate is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Re: Those annoying, stupid injuries

damn sorry to hear about your neck. Shin splints screwed me up a little when I got an extreme case of them from jump roping in the drive way
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
This is a thread for all those niggling, tiny injuries that sound pathetic but still put you out of action for a while.

I'm sure we all know guys (or have been the guys) who have broken their hands or blown out their knees or torn a shoulder to pieces, but what about the annoying little shit injuries that still affect you in a big way?

Things like broken toes, or dislocated fingers. I knew a guy once who lost the nail off his thumb (doing something stupid), it put him out of training for about 2 weeks.

The inspiration for this thread is that I woke up this morning with acute wry neck. I'd never heard of it until today, and the physio tells me there's no way to predict it, they don't really know what causes it, and you don't need a history of neck injuries to acquire it.

I just woke up this morning with an insanely stiff neck, and if I try to turn my head to the left I drop to the ground and literally scream in pain. Every now and then there's a muscle spasm that will pretty much knock me on my arse for a second or two.

It should loosen up as the day goes on, and I've just got to keep it stretched and mobile, but when I wake up tomorrow morning I'll be ****ed again, because it will stiffen up over night. I've just got to put up with it until it's better. Could be a week, could be a month... either way I'm out of training for a little while.
Pretty sure I've had that one, if it's what I had then HAHAHAHA GOOD NOW SOMEONE FEELS MY PAIN.

Knuckle injuries are a bitch. Especially because you can't prove you have one, so everyone thinks you're just lazy for the 3 months or so that you can't hit anything more than once without almost crying.

Twisted ankles from playing soccer or basketball. Once you get it bad they get easier and easier to get. I pretty much had to ice after every game toward the end of high school. Played soccer two weeks ago and almost broke my own leg trying to bust a rad trick. It would appear that my injury history, plus the fact that I'm 40lb heavier than I was, has stuck with me.

Shin soreness. Not actual shinsplints. All you can do is rest/ice, and who has time for that?

Plantar Fasciitis. ****ING. HURTS. The only thing that got rid of it for me was going to OCS where we got to run/speedwalk everywhere and only sleep 3 hrs a night if we were lucky. Couple days of that and the injury worked itself out.

Tennis Elbow/Golfer's Elbow. Not conducive to boxing. Whatever I had felt like shinsplints in my forearms, like the muscle was separating from the bone. Got it doing sandbag PT along with too much weightlifting and pullups...Forearms are not to be overtrained. Resurfaced when I started boxing.

Any sort of back injury. Got mine from drilling/speedhiking in boots that didn't fit me at all. Still resurfaces from time to time and does not feel good. Pretty much impossible to train through.

The worst thing about these little injuries is they're in no way badass and they're usually your own fault. And most of them you can train through but it just isn't worth it.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

My two which have bothered me for a long time. My shoulder which is alot better than it used to be and feels strong enough now to do just about anything ...except when i punch and my right Achilles is bad again lately.

I know how to fix them both... rest, stupidly i kept training on both injuries especially my shoulder and now i fear its stuffed good and proper
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Antsu
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1347

I have had minor shin splint for three weeks now. It’s ****ing annoying and it doesn’t seem to get better, because I’m still training 5 times per week
Antsu is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
pahapoisu
Superman!
ESB Addict

vCash: 105

Every now and then again when i get tagged on the chin it ****s my neck up.
Hate being white. Weak chin...
Probably need to train my neck a lot more.
pahapoisu is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

sciatic nerve injuries, any hand/wrist injuries.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
sciatic nerve injuries, any hand/wrist injuries.
I did my sciatic nerve 2 days before my wedding. Not good.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
MrSmall
Journeyman

Its bullshit mate.

But a massage fixes it, really.

Carrying a bag on one shoulder, sitting at a desk leaning to one side slightly, all shit!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
digit
Journeyman

vCash: 851

My neck was stuffed a few weeks back, started on the shoulder, spread to the neck and then down to the shoulder blade all because I slept on it the wrong way.

No doubt it was linked to a shoulder injury I did early this year after falling on it in soccer.

All up, Ive had my training disrupted for about 3mths out of the last 7!
digit is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
MrSmall
Journeyman

although, keeping healthy and injury free is just as important as your training, and is just as much a skill and quality of a top athlete, it isn't just pure luck. usually we don't have anyone but ourselves to blame for injury.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418

Have had em all...Shin splints, soreness/swelling in my surgically repaired knee, nasty muscle pain in my jabbing shoulder, bruised ribs, jammed fingers, wrist pain, bruised carpals in the hand (after hard sparring)........They all suck - but one thing I've realized, I'll take all the little ones to avoid to big ones (my torn ACL).
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by digit View Post
My neck was stuffed a few weeks back, started on the shoulder, spread to the neck and then down to the shoulder blade all because I slept on it the wrong way.

No doubt it was linked to a shoulder injury I did early this year after falling on it in soccer.

All up, Ive had my training disrupted for about 3mths out of the last 7!
Same situation for me except mine was a grade 2 separation while playing rugby. Getting better slowly but surely although it honestly would have healed already if I didn't have to work. Stabilization and complete rest are crucial to the timely healing of a shoulder injury. I was unable to do either lol.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

I learned to heal my shin splints by actually strengthening my shin.

I sat on my brother's bunk bed and put weights in a plastic bag and hung it from my foot and just lifted them up with my foot turned at different angles and it actually made it a lot better
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Damn tell me about it. I strained my right ulnar in Judo. It was quite obvious why, arm leg entanglement and I sure has hell felt it go. Then just as my right elbow has healed I'm lifting with a very light weight just to see how it feels on my right elbow and my left elbow immediately starts bothering me. I immediately stop. I go see the doc and the left ulnar is now strained and I cant for the life of me think of what caused it. I think it must have strained itself out of sympathy for the right.
Windigo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing