Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
BlackFlag2601

vCash: 500
Default Covering up During Sparring

Somebody told me one of my big problems when I was sparring was, although I keep my hands up, when I get hit I tend to drop them because I panic. He said instead as soon as you get hit, cover up and try to find your opponent.

But that was confusing advice for me because I always assumed I would want to see where the punches were coming from so I could do something about it.

Can anyone give me some advice in this respect?
BlackFlag2601 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Smithy

vCash:

BORKED
Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
BlackFlag2601

Default Re: Covering up During Sparring

Thanks for posting that link. Those guys are good. I was watching when they were getting hit and what they were doing.

Its just a tad bit confusing cause I was taught how to block but I can only seem to utilize that tool when I'm anticipating and countering. Maybe there is a way I can mix it up? I will try this when I spar this week.
BlackFlag2601 is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

It is just that you are green. May I ask how long you have been Boxing?

It sounds like you are still in the beginning stages of Boxing. Two things I see...

Maybe you are in the "Boxing in space" phase. This is when you are Boxing using your eyes and don't like being too close to a guy. As you advance you will start punching where your target should be or will be due to X set up. Looking at a guys waist should tell you exactly where his head is. No need to "see" him. Give it time and eventually it will come.

Second there is "save my butt (shell)" blocking and offensive blocking where you block to position yourself to throw. You say you were taught to block... How where you taught? If you were taught to roll your waist and raise your hand? What are you doing with the non-blocking hand? You have just loaded up the other hand for a punch! Be careful when using it at first though. You have to fire QUICKLY after the block. Again, time will give you this skill.

Last edited by bald_head_slick; 06-21-2011 at 11:11 PM.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

you should learn to either slip or parry. blocking is pretty useless.
slipping or parrying get the guy off balance and mess him up. when you block, he's still connecting so it doesn't bug him, and you still get impacted.
furor celtica is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
curly
Fastest hands in the West
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by furor celtica View Post
you should learn to either slip or parry. blocking is pretty useless.
slipping or parrying get the guy off balance and mess him up. when you block, he's still connecting so it doesn't bug him, and you still get impacted.
Disagree completley. Uses very little energey and is a safe bet if fighting a quick and clever boxer who effectivley feints and beats you to the punch.
curly is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

You should still be able to see when you're blocking. Look through your gloves. If one comes up the middle, just catch it like you would any other time.

Don't forget to move your head and counter if you cover up. Should only be a momentary thing, most of the time.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Something simple about getting hit I learned.

Keep your hands glued to your head when the shots are coming in. If they are away from your head, when you get hit your head bounces around in your guard...and that sucks.

Simple, yet effective. Give it a try.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #9
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Disagree completley. Uses very little energey and is a safe bet if fighting a quick and clever boxer who effectivley feints and beats you to the punch.
In my opinion blocking should only be used as a last resort.

Parrying or evading the punch should be your first options.

And I'm not saying don't keep your gaurd up. That goes without saying. But guys who just stand there with there hands over there face are much more likely to get hit than if they try to parry or evade the shot.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418

Thanks for posting. I had this problem for a long time. I think part of the problem is just being afraid to get hit which many guys experience in sparring. My trainer used to spend rounds with my back to the corner - he would attack and try to keep me there. It did two things - one, got me comfortable with getting hit and two, taught me how to block, pick off, and parry punches. Most importantly I learned to parry, step, pivot, and counter - which is a technique I use all the time now especially with guys who apply a lot of pressure.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
Amrn4s
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Honestly it goes away with sparring time. I had the same problem. My coach helped me get rid of that habit. I would do good,keep my form then catch one or two punches with my face or body and start covering up. Lol. But with sparring time and good coaching that habit goes away. Before you know it you'll be catching punches and countering shots.
Amrn4s is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing