BG91
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Mayweather looks fit, sounds tired

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

by David Mayo | The Grand Rapids Press
Tuesday December 04, 2007, 9:03 AM

LAS VEGAS -- Some of my favorite times with Floyd Mayweather have been the daily hand-wrapping sessions. In what only can be taken as a sign of maturation, he now agrees.

Our reasons are different. For me, it's 25 minutes, every day of his gym life, that he consistently sits still and focuses on an interview, virtually without interruption. He ordered the three-minute bell turned off in the gym while we talked Monday. He ordered the hip-hop music muted, too, which is pretty serious stuff around here, wrapping without rapping.

For him, it's the easiest 25 minutes of a difficult daily grind.

"This is the best part of training, right here, the hand-wrapping," he said. "That's when you know it's time to re- ..."

He stopped short of uttering the R-word.

"... take a vacation."

Five days until the rumble, and the welterweight champion and pound-for-pound king of boxing is tired. He also is fit, and ready for Ricky Hatton Saturday night.

He still loves to spar, and if he could satisfy his commitment simply by lacing up gloves and dicing up opponents, no problem.

It's all the rest of it -- the roadwork after midnight, striking the bags, the weight training, the hundreds of sit-ups -- that burdens him now. Yes, the physical strain factors in, but the real intrigue is his dulled mental acuity for the sport at large.

He rarely watches fights. He says he has better things to do than watch inferior practitioners attempt his craft. He would not describe himself as a boxing fan.

These hand-wrapping chats first started when he was a teenager, when he loved every second of his brilliant future. Today, at 30, two decades in boxing and vast riches in the vault have made their impact.

"I enjoyed it as an amateur. I didn't mind going to the gym," he said. "But now, when I come to the gym, yeah, I'm going to train, and I'm going to train hard -- but the thing is, getting me to the gym. Before, nobody had to come wake me up, like, 'Floyd, let's go to the gym,' because I'd be the one waking them up and saying, 'Yo, let's go to the gym.' Now, they've got to come wake me up, and say, 'Floyd, you know you've got to go to the gym today.' It's been like that for a while.

"I get up in the morning, I look around, everything I've got is paid for, eight figures in the bank, and I'm like, 'What do I want to keep doing this for?' "

He says there is no magic number of victories that appeals to him. Larry Holmes got caught up chasing Rocky Marciano's record, Julio Cesar Chavez got caught up chasing 100 wins, and both ended up losing undefeated records along the way.

Many more fighters lose because the appeal of the money and fame is too alluring.

Mayweather said he and his mother, Deborah Sinclair, discuss his retirement frequently.

Mayweather said he was reminded of her feelings when he went to a movie Sunday night, "Awake," in which a man undergoing surgery meets his mother in some pre-death netherworld, and gets a good dose of I-told-you-so.

"She just thinks I've done enough in the sport, and made enough money in the sport, and I should give it up," he said.

He sounds like a fighter looking for the exit door. He insists he hasn't walked through yet.

"Hell yeah, I'm still dedicated to the training, because I know that these young kids are trying to knock me off the block," he said. "They're trying to knock me off the throne. Everybody wants my spot."

He hurts. He's rich. He wants to retire.

And as Rafael Garcia put his finishing touches on yet another hand-wrapping session, Mayweather admitted that's exactly the image he wants to leave with Hatton.

"That's the weakness I want him to chase," he said. "Everything is a trap. It's just like a mouse trap. We want him to eat the cheese and go in the hole."
BG91 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
sweed
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Mayweather looks fit, sounds tired

Sounds like Mayweather looking for a excuse if he lose..?
sweed is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just sounds like an honest self assesment and I appreciate it after all the 3-ring cricus stuff
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Win or lose then, he should retire. He should also except the fact that if he does and his legacy isn't what he wants it to be five or ten years down the road that he has no one to blame but himself.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

I dont think he should retire yet. I say fight the other 2 title holders in the division. WIn them and then go out
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

I thought something like this would come along.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

He has Cotto to take care of after he beats Hatton.
After that then retirement would be well timed and deserved.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Illstate
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2333
I dont think he should retire yet. I say fight the other 2 title holders in the division. WIn them and then go out
NAh, there's no reason to fight.
At the end of the day it's for the money. He has enough money to make money outside of the ring now.
HE talked about retirement before the Hatton fight. I guess he couldn't turn down easy money
Illstate is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
lillarry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illstate
NAh, there's no reason to fight.
At the end of the day it's for the money. He has enough money to make money outside of the ring now.
HE talked about retirement before the Hatton fight. I guess he couldn't turn down easy money
Nah man, if he beats Hatton he needs to fight Cotto and than retire. Beating Cotto and retiring undefeated would make the haters so mad
lillarry is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Knob McDude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Articles like this show Floyd's human side.

Not his circus act of flashy and flamboint.

I like the guy, but hopefully this will proves to others he's not the **** he ACTS like. (keyword=act)

Just like this last episode of 24/7, his friend and former olympic teammate he has on the payroll now, really good stuff. Of course it doesn't sell, so don't look for stories about that stuff in print too often, in regards to PBF.

If this is his last fight, it has been a pleasure watching him over the last 10 years. Might not see another with his skillset for a looooong time.
Knob McDude is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

The writing is on the wall for this one. Between the rumors of Floyd's hand injury, to the judges, to Golden Boy. Don't be shocked when it happens.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
BOOKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He'll still be 100 % focused come fight night
BOOKA is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Can you guys read? He said at the end of the interview that he wants Ricky Hatton to believe the things that he was saying in the interview, because it's a trap. He want Ricky to throw out a normal gameplan, and just try to make Floyd fold up shop an quit.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

double post
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

He rarely watches fights. He says he has better things to do than watch inferior practitioners attempt his craft. He would not describe himself as a boxing fan.

Is that why he shows up to some of the big fights in Vegas, such as when he was seen celebrating during Pacquiao-Morales 2, or when he implied that Castillo quit/took a dive against Hatton?

"I enjoyed it as an amateur. I didn't mind going to the gym," he said. "But now, when I come to the gym, yeah, I'm going to train, and I'm going to train hard -- but the thing is, getting me to the gym. Before, nobody had to come wake me up, like, 'Floyd, let's go to the gym,' because I'd be the one waking them up and saying, 'Yo, let's go to the gym.' Now, they've got to come wake me up, and say, 'Floyd, you know you've got to go to the gym today.' It's been like that for a while.

Quite a contrast from what was shown (or how it was edited) on 24/7. when Floyd called Leonard at 2 in the morning to work out, or when he was speeding to get to the gym.

And as Rafael Garcia put his finishing touches on yet another hand-wrapping session, Mayweather admitted that's exactly the image he wants to leave with Hatton.

"That's the weakness I want him to chase," he said. "Everything is a trap. It's just like a mouse trap. We want him to eat the cheese and go in the hole."

Sounds right, although I don't know why he'd admit this at the end of an interview if the plan is to get Hatton to think that Floyd has lost his edge.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum