Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
globenerd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 484
Default Re: 'Gifted' underachievers who were never all that gifted in your opinion

I haven't seen the other thread, and this guy is probably in it, but Donald Curry. I know he appeared to have everything and more, but he always struggled with the B+ and A- guys, (Starling-Honeyghan, etc.) and when he stepped up to A and A+ guys, he was blown out.

And anyone who wants to take issue with me calling Starling A- or B+, I would be glad to concede. He very well might've been that good. But not as good as McCallum, who of course, blew Curry up.
globenerd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Gifted' underachievers who were never all that gifted in your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
True, but in the context of the thread you've kind of defeated your own argument. Quarry wasn't the type of flash, physical talent or natural athlete that usually attracts the 'gifted' label, nor was he really an underachiever. He was exactly what you said he is, but it's almost the exact opposite of what the thread was asking after.
He's seen by many as someone who could have achieved much more in any other circumstances. I personally think he just wasn't gifted enough. Had little to do with circumstances. Should work with the thread.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #18
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
A quick attempt at listing the most genuinely talented of the underachievers(looking more at fighters with bad lifestyles or headcase mentality rather than those who maybe just lacked one key fighting attribute like power, or were stymied by bad promotion etc)from the past 30-40 years..

Fighting Harada
Benny Lynch
Wilfred Benitez
Ruben Olivares
John Conteh
Eddie Gregory
Chan-Hee Park
Hilario Zapata
Jung-Koo Chang
Jiro Watanabe
Mike Tyson
Raul Jibaro Perez
James Toney
Chris Eubank
If you´ve got Tyson and Toney on that list than so muct be Jones and Mayweather Jr.

My number one choice would be Cleveland Williams.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
If you´ve got Tyson and Toney on that list than so muct be Jones and Mayweather Jr.

My number one choice would be Cleveland Williams.
Great call on Williams.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by globenerd View Post
I haven't seen the other thread, and this guy is probably in it, but Donald Curry. I know he appeared to have everything and more, but he always struggled with the B+ and A- guys, (Starling-Honeyghan, etc.) and when he stepped up to A and A+ guys, he was blown out.

And anyone who wants to take issue with me calling Starling A- or B+, I would be glad to concede. He very well might've been that good. But not as good as McCallum, who of course, blew Curry up.
Curry is an awful call. have you seen the Starling fights? the 2nd one in particular is one of the most technical fights of the 80s.

McCallum didn't "blow Curry up" that was a chess match that Curry had the edge until a momentary mental lapse got him knocked out
kopejh is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
Jacquot
Cruiserweight Paper Champ
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I always kind of thought Curry had "the gift" until he lost it in 86/87. I've never heard anything substantiated about what happened, but I know he had a drug trial after his career was over, in which he was found not guilty. Who knows?

My first thought for this topic was Zab Judah. Good enough fighter, but never this P4P type that his fans make him out to be.

My second thought was David Tua. One hell of a puncher, but more interested in eating a cake.

You know one guy that was pushed hard by boxing magazines in the early 1980's was Johnny Bumphus. I never did see why he was considered the "heir apparent" to Pryor. Even if he hadn't gotten hooked on nose candy he would have been bombed out a few times.
Jacquot is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #22
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globenerd View Post

Bad call on Curry.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
Coetzeefan101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Daniel Zaragoza,

Hes a boxer I hugely respect and one of boxing's true warriors. But his skills arent what they make out to be, he usually won his fights by outlasting his opponents.
Coetzeefan101 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #24
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Jermain Taylor.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #25
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Bernard Mays
Pinklon Thomas.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
Pinklon Thomas.

You've got to be kidding me...
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coetzeefan101 View Post
Daniel Zaragoza,

Hes a boxer I hugely respect and one of boxing's true warriors. But his skills arent what they make out to be, he usually won his fights by outlasting his opponents.

I'd put Zaragoza closer to the hard working overachiever category.Great longevity, not a lot of obvious gifts.
lora is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #28
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post

You've got to be kidding me...
Good to Very Good Heavy, just outside of that jab, never thought he was all that.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #29
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Danny Torres is the first name that immediately came to mind.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

David Haye @Heavy - what a overrated hypejawb, big mouth though!!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum