Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: What do you guys think about in the ring?

In the opening I usually think about asserting my presence in the ring. Try to get the jab working.

Once we've exchanged some punches I am focused on giving more than I'm taking.

Aside from that, I just try to anticipate whats coming based on his habits.
Slacker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #17
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I usually plan setting up a punch or a counter a few seconds in advance. When the pace is faster, more happens on instinct obviously, but I definitely find openings or strategize on how to make some while circling and jabbing. Lots of times I think of basic combinations or moves from famous fights/fighters which I incorporate into my understanding of the basics.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

Anticipating what my opponent will do next so I can counter.
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
dcb154
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

When sparring or competing? Sparring, depending on who I'm working with, I'll work on specific things and let the rest be automatic/reflexes.

In competition, sometimes things slow down so much I'll actually run through a catalog of things. For instance, I kept getting blasted with the right hand, and as my head snapped backward and my vision went to the rafters, I was thinking "dangit, how did I slip that before?" Then it would come back together.

My favorite part about sparring, or even competition, is that it's the one place I'm really at peace. There is nothing else in the world, and you get that intersection of trained reflexes and instinct working simultaneously.

Does anyone else get that almost "soothing" disconnect from the world when you're in the ring?
dcb154 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arranmcl View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Give this a read.
Jab and Look For The Right Hand

Follow your trainer around jabbing everytime he calls it out. The trainer should randomly lift up the rear mitt as he catches your jab. The moment you see the rear mitt lift when you land the jab, you should immediately follow-up with a right hand.

Does anybody do the mitts like this and see any big differences when sparring?
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #21
Phys
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Puss.

Bruce Lee said if u r thinking at all--u r ****ed.
Phys is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #22
SupraTT24
Heart Of A Champion
ESB Full Member

I take the first round a little slower, maybe give it away but not always. During this period i think about my opponents reaction to my feints n my movement. what moves are opening him up. I fire long jabs to the body from distance so in the second i can work in a feint downstairs n blast upstairs. I look at how he throws his punches n where he opens up on offense so i can counter. In the second i pick it up and throw alot more combos and counter everything that he throws. I always try to be the last one to land a punch in a flurry. In the third alot of people come out hard cuz they know its the last round. I start the first part of the third round slow n counter n pot shot, then when he starts changes his pace i blast em till the bell rings
SupraTT24 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I'll be returning to training in 3 weeks or so, and when I get back to sparring I'm going to experiment with thinking about a 'happy place' in the ring lol. Tropical island with ice caves, penguins, two naked models with suds on they booties, some good weed, entertaining midgets, monkeys and baboons and assorted primates, polar bears, extremely large-screen TV (in the ice cave) with continual streaming of awesome boxing fights, a cover band who can do any song exactly perfect playing 24/7, and so on. Just a very happy place.

I feel like this can't hurt my fighting at all and can only help. Or if it doesn't at least I'll be happy when I get ktfo...
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

If you're thinking about something it means that whatever you're thinking about you haven't really learned yet... Everything should be automatic.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
SupraTT24
Heart Of A Champion
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
If you're thinking about something it means that whatever you're thinking about you haven't really learned yet... Everything should be automatic.
I'm pretty sure that includes EVERYONE in here.. hense the training forum... Noone in here is even close to having learned everything as most everyone in here is an amature or green pro. There is always steps to learn. Though things do become automatic NOONE in here fights without thinking. If they do, they are either BRAND NEW, or fighting for a world title soon
Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
One boxer enters the ring trying to memorize everything his trainer & friends tell him, "hands up, chin down, double jab, duck when you see a left hook, throw a right hand to counter a lazy jab"... the list goes on.
The other boxer goes into the ring with just simple instructions to "Just stay relaxed, keep the defense tight, look for the overhand right."
An interesting quote from the link i posted.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #27
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTT24 View Post
I'm pretty sure that includes EVERYONE in here.. hense the training forum... Noone in here is even close to having learned everything as most everyone in here is an amature or green pro. There is always steps to learn. Though things do become automatic NOONE in here fights without thinking. If they do, they are either BRAND NEW, or fighting for a world title soon
I see you don't understand... I didn't claim that anyone has learned everything, I said that whatever you're thinking about you haven't learned yet. Even if you have learned it and it's second nature if you consciously think about it while you're fighting you're going to struggle. Ever done amazing things in a sport while noone is looking then as soon as someone is watching you turn to rubbish? It's because you're thinking about what you're doing. If you have a basic understanding of the nervous system you'll know that when you repeat something enough it becomes automatic. Think about what you're going to do between rounds by all means, as soon as you're in action though you want a clear, relaxed mind and you'll do what you have to do. Ever had a great performance where it felt like you were possessed? Probably not judging by your lack of understanding but that's what happens when you're not trying to think about something. You can unlearn anything by thinking about it in the ring.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #28
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Good point, especially with boxing.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #29
jof
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1363

Owww my face hurts
jof is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
SupraTT24
Heart Of A Champion
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I see you don't understand... I didn't claim that anyone has learned everything, I said that whatever you're thinking about you haven't learned yet. Even if you have learned it and it's second nature if you consciously think about it while you're fighting you're going to struggle. Ever done amazing things in a sport while noone is looking then as soon as someone is watching you turn to rubbish? It's because you're thinking about what you're doing. If you have a basic understanding of the nervous system you'll know that when you repeat something enough it becomes automatic. Think about what you're going to do between rounds by all means, as soon as you're in action though you want a clear, relaxed mind and you'll do what you have to do. Ever had a great performance where it felt like you were possessed? Probably not judging by your lack of understanding but that's what happens when you're not trying to think about something. You can unlearn anything by thinking about it in the ring.
That makes alot better sense lol. My bad, I agree to this up to the point where ur not thinking about what you do. I think even if you've learned how to look for things in a fight you are still always gonna look and think about it in the sense that your not gonna see the same thing from 2 seperate fighter.. the question in the thread is what do you think about in the ring. My first post is my answer, but by yours i didnt catch an actual direct answer

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing