Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Guillard is coming off two great wins over Evan Dunham and Shane Roller, but has stiff competition for the number 1 contender spot from Clay Guida, while the winner of the Jim Miller vs Ben Henderson fight in August will surely have a claim as well.

Who should be next in line for the Edgar-Maynard winner?



And Condit is on a stunning tear right now, beating Kim, Hardy, MacDonald and Ellenberger in his last four. The only other viable contender for a title shot would be Fitch (though he is injured, has unfinished business with Penn, and has already been dominated by GSP), seeing as Rick Story lost recently, though if Jake Ellenberger beats Jake Shields in September he surely becomes viable.

Who should be next in line for the GSP-Diaz winner?


Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Condit is next for GSP, he'll be the threat on the feet that people think Diaz is

Mel is probably 3rd in line, maybe Clay or the loser of Miller Hendo
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Guida Guillard should happen next , should Melvin Guillard beat Clay Guida , he would have to get a shot at the title , and likewise Guida .......

Fitch Condit should now take precedence over Fitch Penn 2 IMHO .......

Condit for me is the closest challenger to Fitch's #1 contender ranking , that ofcourse is in the UFC , Nick Diaz is obviously getting his shot before Fitch and Condit , one more big win for Condit and for me he's worthy of a shot , knowing the UFC and the way they work , they will probably match Condit with Brenneman and have him wait in the wings for St Pierre , this a) stops St Pierre moving to MW and b) keeps Condit out of harms way thus creating a credible WW title fight starring St Pierre against an opponent he hasnt already beaten
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Guida Guillard should happen next , should Melvin Guillard beat Clay Guida , he would have to get a shot at the title , and likewise Guida .......

Fitch Condit should now take precedence over Fitch Penn 2 IMHO .......

Condit for me is the closest challenger to Fitch's #1 contender ranking , that ofcourse is in the UFC , Nick Diaz is obviously getting his shot before Fitch and Condit , one more big win for Condit and for me he's worthy of a shot , knowing the UFC and the way they work , they will probably match Condit with Brenneman and have him wait in the wings for St Pierre , this a) stops St Pierre moving to MW and b) keeps Condit out of harms way thus creating a credible WW title fight starring St Pierre against an opponent he hasnt already beaten
Good post.

Guillard-Guida and Fitch-Condit would be great fights next, both title shot eliminators.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Condit should be next. Not because he beat Kim, Kim barely beat Nate Diaz; but because there will be no one left if GSP beats Nick Diaz.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Condit should have to beat the winner of Shields Vs Ellenberger first IMO.

Guillard should fight Pettis next I think. See who is sticking around near the top for the forseeable future (Guida would've been better but they're both Jackson fighters so very doubtful) After Frankie and Maynard finally finish their trilogy, with Guida beating a guy who was primed for a shot and I think he deserves a shot. After last night, his run of Dos Anjos, Gomi and Pettis is looking pretty damn good.

Lightweight is stacked.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Condit should be next. Not because he beat Kim, Kim barely beat Nate Diaz; but because there will be no one left if GSP beats Nick Diaz.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Mel v Pettis would be pretty epic fight. Good call, shame on me for forgetting him
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
TheBradyHawkes
۞
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 2362
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Who should be next in line for the Edgar-Maynard winner?
If Jim Miller beats Henderson he deserves a shot, end of story. After that then we can start talking Guillard, Guida, and whoever else is in line.
TheBradyHawkes is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Condit should have to beat the winner of Shields Vs Ellenberger first IMO.

Guillard should fight Pettis next I think. See who is sticking around near the top for the forseeable future (Guida would've been better but they're both Jackson fighters so very doubtful) After Frankie and Maynard finally finish their trilogy, with Guida beating a guy who was primed for a shot and I think he deserves a shot. After last night, his run of Dos Anjos, Gomi and Pettis is looking pretty damn good.

Lightweight is stacked.
Sheilds got a title shot because it was in his contract , regardless of all the hype and the UFC primetime build up show IMHO after his performance against Kampmann he didnt deserve it .

Jon Fitch is the number 1 contender behind GSP , Condit has to be ranked number 3 in the world IMO , therefore he's right in the mix .

GSP Diaz is happening , so Fitch Condit is a no brainer , until Condit beats Fitch , he should not be allowed to step in the cage for the title .........

Guida and Guillard have already said they will fight each other if it comes to it
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Fitch has got to rematch BJ first.

Fitch will only hold back others from getting a chance to beat GSP, as he himself has no chance.

Fair play to Clay and Melvin if true
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Fitch has got to rematch BJ first.

Fitch will only hold back others from getting a chance to beat GSP, as he himself has no chance.

Fair play to Clay and Melvin if true
Penn Fitch 2 is a fight nobody barring the UFC really wants

Agree'd on your second point , but Condit loses to Fitch IMO so what do you do ??
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Penn Fitch 2 is a fight nobody barring the UFC really wants

Agree'd on your second point , but Condit loses to Fitch IMO so what do you do ??
Agree with the first point, but it will happen.

On your 2nd point, I agree, but if Fitch wants to be champ but cannot beat the champ, why not let someone more stylistically suited have a go and then Fitch can try and beat them for the title. Fitch is the clear no.2 in the div' IMO, but he has little chance of beating the champ. Then again, not many Welters do (here's hoping Nick will just be too f'n hard )

I'm not saying I think Condit would beat GSP though!!!!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

I would love to see diaz vs condit
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Condit and Guillard be next in line for ww and lw title shots?

Quote:
And Condit is on a stunning tear right now, beating Kim, Hardy, MacDonald and Ellenberger in his last four. The only other viable contender for a title shot would be Fitch (though he is injured, has unfinished business with Penn, and has already been dominated by GSP), seeing as Rick Story lost recently, though if Jake Ellenberger beats Jake Shields in September he surely becomes viable.

Who should be next in line for the GSP-Diaz winner?
I won't pay to see Fitch fight GSP again. He got demolished the first time and has showed nothing in the past few years that says a 2nd shot would be any different, meanwhile GSP is still improving in leaps and bounds, even if he has forgotten how to finish a fight.
Condit could be a very convincing challenger, not that I think he'd win, but he certainly has the highlight reel to justify a shot. IF Ellenberger beats Shields then he has a strong case for a shot as well. I don;t see either Shields, Fitch or GSP going particularly well for Ellenberger considering was Rocha did to him in the first round.
So anyway, Condit first, then Ellenberger if he gets past Shields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Guillard is coming off two great wins over Evan Dunham and Shane Roller, but has stiff competition for the number 1 contender spot from Clay Guida, while the winner of the Jim Miller vs Ben Henderson fight in August will surely have a claim as well.

Who should be next in line for the Edgar-Maynard winner?
LW is a ****ing nightmare right now.

Miller, Guida and Guillard are all deserving of a shot, in that order, IMO. But there's also guys that are a little green or on shorter winning streaks that still look amazing and would make for fantastic fights, Siver, Barboza, Olivera, Bendo, Cerrone. Even the guys with recent losses have looked awesome leading up to (or even during) their defeats, Sotiropoulos, Pettis, Lauzon, Bocek.

No matter what happens at the top of the division, the mid-top tier guys are going to keep trading losses, and we're going to see less guys on 6, 7 and 8 fight win streaks and it's going to end up more like middleweight with guys coming into title fights after 2 or 3 wins.
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013