Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Retire already !..

Damn , what an embarrassing loss for Wanderlei Silva. I just finished watching this fight and i'm wondering....Why bother ? Retire already !.... What a stupid way to lose too , you'd think that try something else after getting hit by the first uppercut , but nooooo.... Wanderlei still wanted to use the muay thai clinch...he kept holding the guy's head even after the 2nd and 3rd uppercut... is he braindead or what ?

And no offense (to leben's fans).....But losing against Leben ?.....Leben ? !!! and to think that this is the same guy who gave us the epic battle (rematch) vs Rampage Jackson in 2004.

7 years already though....He is done.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Retire already !..

Something tells me that we'll see his glass shattered at least one more time since he'll pull a Chuck and beg to fight again. And, while I do enjoy watching chins crack, it is a bit depressing to watch once great fighters hang around getting smashed by tomato cans just because they love to fight.

But, sad as his case may be, Silva is a perfect example of the message I'm bringing to this forum. Punch resistance is critical in MMA, as well as in boxing, and once they crack they don't come back. Silva is a superior fighter to Leben but lost simply because Leben can take a punch and Silva had his brain shut off by an arm punch to the side of the head.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 441

Yea I'm a huge Leben fan but of was sad watching Silva get KO'd like that. If he wants a winnable fight how about Wandy vs Rivera?
Anarchy99 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Yea it's sad to see these legends getting beat. Time to hang it up.

Wanderelei
Crocop
Arlovski
Couture

Fedor

I only want to see fedor fight couture or just retire.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
Yea I'm a huge Leben fan but of was sad watching Silva get KO'd like that. If he wants a winnable fight how about Wandy vs Santiago?
Different weight class but i would love to see leben vs koscheck again. Koscheck has no chance against gsp so i want to see him move up and fight leben.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
Yea I'm a huge Leben fan but of was sad watching Silva get KO'd like that. If he wants a winnable fight how about Wandy vs Rivera?
Or Wand/Santiago. They can call either one UFC 145: Shattered Glass.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
Or Wand/Santiago. They can call either one UFC 145: Shattered Glass.
crazy but i still want to see belfort vs silva go a it again. Vitor said he is willing to face silva.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
TheBradyHawkes
۞
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
Yea it's sad to see these legends getting beat. Time to hang it up.

Wanderelei
Crocop
Arlovski
Couture

Fedor

I only want to see fedor fight couture or just retire.
Randy said he was done after the Machida fight. Fedor's going to beat Henderson so we'll see him at least once more after that. Against who, I have no idea. Maybe a rematch with Werdum.
TheBradyHawkes is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 441

Yea I mistook Santiago for Rivera but Stann just annihilated Santiago so that's also a good fight.
Anarchy99 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

Quote:
crazy but i still want to see belfort vs silva go a it again. Vitor said he is willing to face silva.
You must really hate Wand if that's something that you want to see because it sure as hell wouldn't be competitive. In their primes Belfort smashed him in under thirty seconds, now that Wand's jaw is completely eroded it'll be the same thing. Fight lasts however long it takes Belfort to get across the cage and hit him.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The saddest part was that Leben was his handpicked opponent. He turned down Belfort and Stann to get what he perceived to be a winnable fight. The guy definitely needs to retire. After the surgery on his face, he doesn't even look like the same person any more much less the same fighter.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
Damn , what an embarrassing loss for Wanderlei Silva. I just finished watching this fight and i'm wondering....Why bother ? Retire already !.... What a stupid way to lose too , you'd think that try something else after getting hit by the first uppercut , but nooooo.... Wanderlei still wanted to use the muay thai clinch...he kept holding the guy's head even after the 2nd and 3rd uppercut... is he braindead or what ?

And no offense (to leben's fans).....But losing against Leben ?.....Leben ? !!! and to think that this is the same guy who gave us the epic battle (rematch) vs Rampage Jackson in 2004.

7 years already though....He is done.
I said prior to the fight this was a waste of time. And i expected that outcome. Leben may as well have been beating up a geriatric. In dog years Wandy is a fossil. He has no place in MMA. But the UFC is willing to hang on to him as long as he sells tickets.
His been fighting once a year for the last 3 years. Suffered some serious career beat downs prior to that, not looking the same since the Mark Hunt beat down CC and Hendo. Went down to 85 and looked physically terrible. Wandy is done. He simply can't execute any more and the years have taken their toll on his body. I admire his warrior spirit but this isn't Japan. Even Sakuraba currently has a better chin than him and that's saying something...
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
I said prior to the fight this was a waste of time. And i expected that outcome. Leben may as well have been beating up a geriatric. In dog years Wandy is a fossil. He has no place in MMA. But the UFC is willing to hang on to him as long as he sells tickets.
His been fighting once a year for the last 3 years. Suffered some serious career beat downs prior to that, not looking the same since the Mark Hunt beat down CC and Hendo. Went down to 85 and looked physically terrible. Wandy is done. He simply can't execute any more and the years have taken their toll on his body. I admire his warrior spirit but this isn't Japan. Even Sakuraba currently has a better chin than him and that's saying something...

Agreed....and like Thom said...(maybe it's just an irrelevant detail) but with all that ****ing surgery , he doesn't even look like the same guy....where is the real wanderlei ? .... You're right he still sells tickets...dana and co will encourage him as long as he's bankable for the compagny....
boxingcar is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
You must really hate Wand if that's something that you want to see because it sure as hell wouldn't be competitive. In their primes Belfort smashed him in under thirty seconds, now that Wand's jaw is completely eroded it'll be the same thing. Fight lasts however long it takes Belfort to get across the cage and hit him.
No actually i don't hate wand. He was one of my favorite fighter to watch. Just want to see these 2 warriors go at it again one last time.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

Quote:
No actually i don't hate wand. He was one of my favorite fighter to watch. Just want to see these 2 warriors go at it again one last time.
I hope they do put it on because then we'll get to see Silva's chin smashed in under thirty seconds, again, and then he'll probably put on another master guard clinic on the referee.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum