Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Benn: Haye has to fight on

BOXING legend Nigel Benn says David Haye should fight on and put right his flop against Wladimir Klitschko.
Haye, 30, who crashed to a huge points defeat in Hamburg on Saturday, had plans to quit in October.
But former world supermiddleweight champion Benn, 47, said: "There is no way David can retire on that performance.
"I am convinced he has the right tools to beat Wladimir and I just hope he can get a rematch.
"He must not walk away in defeat.
"We all know now David used the wrong tactics.
"It looked as if he was fighting the same fight he did against Nikolay Valuev, hitting and running but it was never going to work against a boxer who was far superior to Valuev.
"But Haye caught Klitschko far more than any other boxer I've seen and Klitschko looked worried every time he landed.
"That's why I believe Dave should NOT walk away now - and why I believe he can win if there is a rematch."
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
FrochPascal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pizza Hut, Ukraine.
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 100
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Nigel would have gone out there to win the fight (without needing to talk all that sh*t prior to it).

It's epically embarrassing that Haye talked so much before the fight...but in the end fought like a coward in the biggest night of his boxing career. As I've said before, fighting like that isn't "bad" in itself, but after everything Haye subjected us to...he deserves to be ridiculed.
FrochPascal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,617
vCash: 664
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrochPascal View Post
Nigel would have gone out there to win the fight (without needing to talk all that sh*t prior to it).
Nigel talked as much shit as anyone pre fight. Haye should do what Benn did in defeat...go to the US, get his head straight and come back firing on all cylinders

Quote:
...but in the end fought like a coward
Stupid word to use
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Rob887
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,273
vCash: 533
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrochPascal View Post
Nigel would have gone out there to win the fight (without needing to talk all that sh*t prior to it).
Benn did more than his fair bit of trash talk.
Rob887 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
FrochPascal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pizza Hut, Ukraine.
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 100
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post

Stupid word to use
Why is it stupid? Explain please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob887 View Post
Benn did more than his fair bit of trash talk.
There's trash talk and then there's doing what Haye did.
FrochPascal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,617
vCash: 664
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrochPascal View Post
Why is it stupid? Explain please.
You should only call someone a coward when that person isn't prepared to do something that you are. Anyone who earns a living by getting caught flush by a 6'7" 245Lbs man is anything but a coward

Quote:
There's trash talk and then there's doing what Haye did.
Benn was much worse than Haye in a sense because most of the time he actually meant what was coming out of his mouth.
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
FrochPascal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pizza Hut, Ukraine.
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 100
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
You should only call someone a coward when that person isn't prepared to do something that you are. Anyone who earns a living by getting caught flush by a 6'7" 245Lbs man is anything but a coward



Benn was much worse than Haye in a sense because most of the time he actually meant what was coming out of his mouth.

What did Haye did was cowardly -- fact. I've never seen anyone disrespect a fighter so much and then "perform" in the manner in which Haye did. He did not put anything on the line...in fact, he tried his damnest to avoid fighting bar the odd "closed-eyes-swing-for-fences-desperately-hope-I-don't get-hit-no-risk-bitch-moves". As I said, fighting like that isn't something I'd normally criticise...but for Haye the criticism is deserved. But tell me how a fight fan isn't supposed to call Haye out as a coward after he --on-top of everything -- decides to cry and blame everything on his toe (his little toe at that!)

That was a disgrace to every warrior who has fought in genuinely tough/brutal/life-and-death circumstances.


Oh and about Benn...you're right in a sense.
FrochPascal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South London
Posts: 13,023
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Jean Pascal vs Hopkins in second bout hardly tried to engage with a man he called a cheat and said he'd retire if anything his display just as bad.

He only attacked now and then against a man far older, and who didn't have a size advantage nor a good height advantage. He didn't go all out to get the win only in 12th did he really force the issue IIRC.

Haye's display was poor but standing in punching range with hands down isn't cowardly IMO. It's just he wasn't good enough to make the plan pay or the plan was not good enough (toe or no toe).
Mandanda is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Rob887
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,273
vCash: 533
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrochPascal View Post
I've never seen anyone disrespect a fighter so much
There's plenty who have done worse and meant it too.

I'm not saying Haye doesn't deserve stick, deserves to get the same back, he does, but in the grand scheme of boxing trash talk it was light weight kids stuff.
Rob887 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Didn't Iran Barkley threaten to 'kill' Benn post-fight and Toney pre-fight? He told Benn to watch his back because he was going to kill him. And came into the Toney press conference with a machete. He also said he'd try to 'kill' them in the ring.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,617
vCash: 664
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrochPascal View Post
What did Haye did was cowardly -- fact. I've never seen anyone disrespect a fighter so much and then "perform" in the manner in which Haye did. He did not put anything on the line...in fact, he tried his damnest to avoid fighting bar the odd "closed-eyes-swing-for-fences-desperately-hope-I-don't get-hit-no-risk-bitch-moves". As I said, fighting like that isn't something I'd normally criticise...but for Haye the criticism is deserved. But tell me how a fight fan isn't supposed to call Haye out as a coward after he --on-top of everything -- decides to cry and blame everything on his toe (his little toe at that!)

That was a disgrace to every warrior who has fought in genuinely tough/brutal/life-and-death circumstances.


Oh and about Benn...you're right in a sense.
You haven't a clue what a real coward is so its pointless debating the point.
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South London
Posts: 13,023
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Yeah Barkely attended press conference against Toney with Machete. Toney switched and went to get a gun from a officer in the restaurant so he says ''i was gonna pop him there and then'' he said.

They told Toney is was part of the act but he said it's not how he does things (agree with him) and he wouldn't have it. He soon dished out a beating on Barkley.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,448
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Icemax- The voice of reason in a week of hysteria.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
FrochPascal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pizza Hut, Ukraine.
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 100
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob887 View Post
There's plenty who have done worse and meant it too.

I'm not saying Haye doesn't deserve stick, deserves to get the same back, he does, but in the grand scheme of boxing trash talk it was light weight kids stuff.
I think you're wrong. I've followed everything that has been said -- and there's a reason why Wlad can laugh off most of the things Toney says, for example, but feels genuinely hurt and bothered by what Haye has said and done (distant past, past and present).

Haye has crossed the line loads of times during his [fraudulent] career. I don't see lines of boxers making gang-rape jokes and the thinking they're too big to apologise etc etc.
FrochPascal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
FrochPascal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pizza Hut, Ukraine.
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 100
Default Re: Benn: Haye has to fight on

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
You haven't a clue what a real coward is so its pointless debating the point.

Nice to see that you ducked all the points I made. If David "pink toe" Haye isn't a coward, Arturo Gatti wasn't a warrior.
FrochPascal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013