boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
jam26
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default My first fight vid

Well, I'm probably a sucker for punishment by posting this here, but what the hell?

This is video of my first fight held recently. I am in red. I had a couple years of boxing lessons under my belt and a good gameplan consisting of lots of combinations going into this fight. That all went out the window when the bell went.

There are lots of obvious flaws: looking at the canvas when covering up, lacking conditioning etc. It wasn't an ideal condition for my first fight, my opponent was 14 lbs heavier and taller and I had to try to put on weight while training. But I accepted the matchup.

The only positive I can take from it is that I had the heart to keep coming forward against a bigger opponent who was manhandling me. But I'll put it out there for further critiques. Please keep it constructive. It's probably the end of my amateur boxing career anyways. At least it was a great experience!

Oh yeah, last thing...I got clocked hard by a straight right on the nose when I got the standing 8. My head didn't clear up for a while after that and I was strictly in survival mode.

Here it is: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
jam26 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Default Re: My first fight vid

Oh god, the calm before the storm......
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
welshwonder
G.O.A.T
ESB Jr Member

dont say you wont fight again. i will be honest with you i believe that you had lost this fight even before you stepped in the ring, the guy was clearly a good few inches taller than you and so had reach advantage, not only that but he was a stone heavier than you, as an amateur you really dont want to be rushing to put on weight for a fight it will completely destroy any chances you have, this should come gradually as it does in the pros.

he seemed alot fitter than you also u seemed tired towards the end of the first round and you basically had no punch output, you wer obviously tired so i would say before you fight next (which i hope you do) maybe you should fight a division down or mayb wait for a fighter who is a little closer to yourself - what division was that BTW - and work work work on your muscular endurance because your punches had nothing behind them after the first round, you showed you heart by getting up and carryin on even when the other guy was landing on you, you got up very quick from the knock down also.

in the second and third round i also noticed that you would come out of your corner and start swinging wildly furthremore tiring you and then the guy was just soaking it up and waiting for you to run out of steam before picking you off at ease, your head was constantly down during this period and u looked like you wer out on your feet.

as soon as you composed yuorselfa little bit more you landed a good few combos in quick succession which statrled your opponent, if you could keep these combinations up by increasing your endurance and fighting in the right division then your would improve tenfold, even if you just increased your stamina you cold have beaten that guy because when you hit him he took a step back it frightened him. so keep training hard and please dont say that you wont fight see how it goes, sorry if i have been a bit negative hopefully it was ****structive
welshwonder is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
jam26
Journeyman

WW...thank you for taking the time to watch and for the thoughtful response. My opponent weighed in at 216 and I was 202. I think 185ish is my ideal weight and 180 is achievable. Thanks again for the constructive feedback.
jam26 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
welshwonder
G.O.A.T
ESB Jr Member

think you cou most def make 185 you would be much quicker aswel, keep at it man the other guy just had height and weight advantages over you, he looked natural there aswel, it would have been like a SMW or LHW fighting a natural and in condition heavyweight it just not a fair matchup, dont abandon all hope yet tho champ keep it up good on you for getting in there and not giving up
welshwonder is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
IOANNIS
Journeyman

You took a lot of punishment there! Dear Lord!
You are courageous but your corner should stop the fight at the first round.
Don't worry there were times I lost badly also. Try to remember that
match and toughen yourself.
You need a lot of work in all departments especially technique and speed.
IOANNIS is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
Des
Journeyman

first of all: respect!!!! You stepped in the ring and try to put up a good fight.

This was your first fight, wasn't it?
My first fight was terrible too and i also losed, but you got to get over that first time!!!

Like IAONNIS said focus on technique and like WELSCHWONDER said try to lose some ponds.
Your body did not look trained at all, how serious have you been training for this fight?? and on what part of boxing was your focus during training? was it power, speed, footwork, etc.?? what are your strengths??

I think you learned alot of this fight, am i wrong?
I should not give up so easily, that isn't a boxers mentality.
Keep boxing, keep training and prepare for battle!
Des is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
BeGGeRs
god
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1256

I give you respect for getting in the ring and trying to put up a fight...

But neither you or your opponent look conditioned, you didnt have any form, you had no head movement, no jab and i dont think you landed one clean shot..
I think you should box again. But you need to leave the white collar boxing lessons (they rip you off) and go to a proper boxing gym, condition yourself, learn skills and do the drills. If trainers see your determination they will devote time to you. Practice makes perfect mate. I hope to see your second fight coming up.
BeGGeRs is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Filmnpuck
Journeyman

Your opponent has the worst nickname ever.

Last edited by snoop; 10-24-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Filmnpuck is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Filmnpuck
Journeyman

Okay, I have to make this quick because I'm on my way to work:

I agree with the others. Don't say you'll never fight again! I have no doubt that if you had used proper form, kept your hands up, moved your head, and stuck to throwing straight punches you would have easily owned that guy. (Every once in a while you kept your hands up and threw straights, and guess what? That's when you landed your best shots.) Really the only reason he beat you was because he was bigger. His actual boxing skills were not better than yours.

Basically, get conditioned and get some proper training. Did you spar very much before this fight? I would guess that you didn't. If this was your first time fighting an actual human being fighting back at you, then you definitely shouldn't say that you won't fight again.

By the way, those ring girls... jesus, I should move to Toronto.
Filmnpuck is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
jam26
Journeyman

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll keep at it. I need to get serious and get my weight down to a more reasonable level, improve my conditioning and defence and give it another go.

The most frustrating part was that I spent so much time working on technique and it all went out the window in there! I think I'll be much more collected next time in the ring and with some additional sparring under my belt.
jam26 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing