Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #31
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which fighters sub-190 pounds could beat Riddick Bowe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
To all you naysayers, the answer is Jack Dempsey. Not for nothing was his style and punching power and speed a nightmare for his opponents from 1919-23. Many posters are obsessed with weight,and disregard speed and toughness....
Hey Burt, who do you think would win between Wladimir Klitschko and Jem Mace?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #32
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post

Paul Malinaggi !
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

All of the excellent ones would beat him, Never thought much of Bowe, he got hit to easily...He had good size but Dempsey,Charles,Marciano,Louis were too good for Big Lazy Bowe
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #34
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
All of the excellent ones would beat him, Never thought much of Bowe, he got hit to easily...He had good size but Dempsey,Charles,Marciano,Louis were too good for Big Lazy Bowe
that is how I see it. Bowe was like Greg page, he had talent and skills a plenty but not the mental discipline to go with it. Bowe was a fruit loop. This was the guy that as soon as he made money he demanded a bedroom with a walk in kitchen rather than a walk in wardrobe!

Truly great fighters have that extra focus that was absent with talents like bowe, page, tubbs and to an extent buster douglas - they were riddicks level. Holyfeild was a great fighter but he should not have lost to bowe.

I liken the way Evander lost to bowe in much the way ali should not have lost to Norton and Tommy hearns should not have lost to Barkley. A great fighter having a problem with a great performance but not a beter fighter. The thing is barkley and Norton are never spoken of in the way bowe is.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #35
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
that is how I see it. Bowe was like Greg page, he had talent and skills a plenty but not the mental discipline to go with it. Bowe was a fruit loop. This was the guy that as soon as he made money he demanded a bedroom with a walk in kitchen rather than a walk in wardrobe!

Truly great fighters have that extra focus that was absent with talents like bowe, page, tubbs and to an extent buster douglas - they were riddicks level. Holyfeild was a great fighter but he should not have lost to bowe.

I liken the way Evander lost to bowe in much the way ali should not have lost to Norton and Tommy hearns should not have lost to Barkley. A great fighter having a problem with a great performance but not a beter fighter. The thing is barkley and Norton are never spoken of in the way bowe is.
Evander had a period of time that he was troubled with his stamina and was diagnosed as having a heart problem. According to Evander he was healed by Spiritual Christian Benny Hinn but through the Bowe fights and Moorer he had some health issues and overcame them.

You have a point about Barkley and Norton but I think some people are still impressed with Kenny's muscles and a lot of guys like Bowes size as an end-all Bowe was one of the best of the Big guys top 5-10 after Klitschko's and Lewis and possibly better than Carnara and Willard but not so sure how well Bowe would do against Dempsey, Louis,Baer I think Dempseys stops him,Louis chops him down and Max had a good chance as well the way Bowe got hit.

I know he was past it vs Golota but he got his ass handed to him for most of the fight despite Golotas subsequent history of quitting when the going got tough.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #36
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Evander had a period of time that he was troubled with his stamina and was diagnosed as having a heart problem. According to Evander he was healed by Spiritual Christian Benny Hinn but through the Bowe fights and Moorer he had some health issues and overcame them.

You have a point about Barkley and Norton but I think some people are still impressed with Kenny's muscles and a lot of guys like Bowes size as an end-all Bowe was one of the best of the Big guys top 5-10 after Klitschko's and Lewis and possibly better than Carnara and Willard but not so sure how well Bowe would do against Dempsey, Louis,Baer I think Dempseys stops him,Louis chops him down and Max had a good chance as well the way Bowe got hit.

I know he was past it vs Golota but he got his ass handed to him for most of the fight despite Golotas subsequent history of quitting when the going got tough.
bowe was behind lewis the klits and carnera but above buddy baer, abe simon, terrel, carl williams and tony tucker among the tall super heavyweights. wilard was on par with him, I dont think holyfeild was considered the best heavyweight in the world when bowe beat him unlike johnson when willard beat him.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #37
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post

Holyfield shouldn't have lost to Bowe? That's why Bowe was widely tipped going into the fight and 'massively' tipped in the rematch. Their trilogy ended how it always was going to- with Bowe on top.

The Norton/Barkley comparisons were just awful and quite laughable. They were big underdogs, Bowe certainly wasn't.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #38
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Herbie Hyde had him out on his feet, so it should certainly not be taken for granted that he beats Dempsey or Marciano.

"Out of his feet" I must have missed that. Can you point out when?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #39
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post

"Out of his feet" I must have missed that. Can you point out when?
I am going by Bowes testimony.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #40
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post

What ruleset?
janitor is online now  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #41
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post

The Norton/Barkley comparisons were just awful and quite laughable. They were big underdogs, Bowe certainly wasn't.

He shouldn’t have been an underdog. all bowe had on his resume at the time was a wins over coetzer and that Tilery guy who kicked him up the arse!, he had not faced an unbeaten fighter since turning pro! holyfeild wasn’t given the credit he deserved knocking out linear champ Douglas and beating old boys Holmes and foreman, he also earned his spurs against dokes a fight of the year if I remember rightly. Bowe had nothing like that on his resume. he failed to impress against tubbs.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #42
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tommy Gibbons.begin thread.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #43
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Tommy Gibbons.begin thread.
Are you gonna make a case, or just trying to get a rise? genuinely interested.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #44
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

Gotta go with Dempsey. He had the speed and power to get it done. Jack would be moving in and out and side to side waiting for the opportunity to whip in some devestating blows. He wouldn't be standing right in front of him eating jabs and crosses. It all boils down to styles and Jack would be the best under 190lb candidate in my opinion based on his style.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #45
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
Are you gonna make a case, or just trying to get a rise? genuinely interested.
Bowe wasn't the fastest of foot or fist. Gibbons escaped much faster for victory or at least pushed to close decisions. Also, I always thought Bowe was rather ponderous and predictable, which can be effective if backed by superior power and/or speed. However, this wasn't the case. Gibbons could get a decision here, clearly, using guile, shiftiness and his underrated power.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum