Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #46
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683
Default Re: Which fighters sub-190 pounds could beat Riddick Bowe ?

No one weighing 190 or lower would ever be favored vs the '92 version of bowe. During that short span, Riddick was one of the best heavys I've seen.
kmac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #47
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
No one weighing 190 or lower would ever be favored vs the '92 version of bowe. During that short span, Riddick was one of the best heavys I've seen.
Against who? A hit or miss, completely inconsistent Holyfield who was considered nothing more that a placeholder in the division at the time? The same guy feigning heart problems against Michael Moorer only to be miraculously cured by Benny Hinn? And then who? Who is the second best fighter Bowe ever really beat? It's probably Pierre Coetzer or Herbie Hide. I think that speaks volumes to his true pedigree.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #48
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Bowe was a big heavyweight. Maybe Spinks could do it if he weighed 190, but it would be tough.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #49
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
He shouldn’t have been an underdog. all bowe had on his resume at the time was a wins over coetzer and that Tilery guy who kicked him up the arse!.

Which basically proves my point. His list of opponents wasn't that impressive, yet loads of good writers thought he'd win.

Quote:
he had not faced an unbeaten fighter since turning pro!
He'd faced the same amount of unbeaten fighters Holyfield had- one.

Quote:
holyfeild wasn’t given the credit he deserved knocking out linear champ Douglas and beating old boys Holmes and foreman, he also earned his spurs against dokes a fight of the year if I remember rightly. Bowe had nothing like that on his resume. he failed to impress against tubbs.

The reason this fight was close to pick 'em, was simply down to Bowe's boxing ability and size. What he lacked in experience he had in tools. That's why 46 out of 48 writers picked him to win the rematch (I bet the same amount picked Norton when he went in with Ali for the rematch didn't they? You know because this was oh so similar ) . He looked too big and strong for Evander in fight one, hence why Holyfield came in a bigger & stronger for the rematch. It isn't rocket science you know.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #50
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Against who? A hit or miss, completely inconsistent Holyfield who was considered nothing more that a placeholder in the division at the time? The same guy feigning heart problems against Michael Moorer only to be miraculously cured by Benny Hinn? And then who? Who is the second best fighter Bowe ever really beat? It's probably Pierre Coetzer or Herbie Hide. I think that speaks volumes to his true pedigree.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #51
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamus
Yeah, Holyfield lost all the damn time in the 90's. Moorer is just one example of another man he lost to, and he never really proved it was a fluke in a rematch or anything. I see your point, man, hit or miss perfectly sums up Holyfield. He was just a placeholder for Tyson too, because, you know, he wasn't as good as Tyson. That's what everybody thought, at the time, ya know? Totally important. He was like a fake champion. It's not like Holyfield beat the piss out of Tyson when he was probably farther removed from his prime, right? I mean, damn near every sub-190 fighter would beat Holyfield, you know, man, so Bowe's wins aren't really a big deal. I don't even want to imagine what Tommy Loughran, Roy Jones, or Bob Fitzsimmons would do to Bowe.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #52
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
NOt one.... STyle wise Holyfield is his toughest fight out of the small hws.. Prime ALi at 310 could do it...But even the prospect Ali who weighed under 200 would be to inexperienced and have his hands full.

Louis chin wouldnt hold up,,,Marciano too short,,,Dempsey hell no....Charles would have some good rounds and take an early lead but Bowe would get to him. patterson kod early.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #53
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Quite a few. Loughran, Dempsey, Tunney, Schmeling, Charles, Moore, Marciano, M. Spinks. Guess I forgot a few too.
And the ones I didnt highlight would have a chance.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #54
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
so Bowe's wins aren't really a big deal. I don't even want to imagine what Tommy Loughran, Roy Jones, or Bob Fitzsimmons would do to Bowe.

Tommy Loughran.

ps. By the way I know you're being sarcastic. Just laughing at someone earlier suggesting Loughran could beat Bowe. Their evidence probably being the couple of rounds he won against the mighty Carnera.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #55
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by My Dinner Connteh
Tommy Loughran.

Just laughing at someone earlier suggesting Loughran could beat Bowe. Their evidence probably being the couple of rounds he won against the mighty Carnera.
We all know Loughran would have beaten Carnera had the giant's foot not reduced his own to mush. Think about that: Loughran won those couple of rounds with a hole where his foot should have been! And remember, Carnera was big, Bowe was big. Need I say more?

Quote:
ps. By the way I know you're being sarcastic.
Subtlety. I'm good at.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #56
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Holyfield was unbeaten in 1992.
Holyfield was very good. Who cares if he was seen as a "placeholder" by a bunch of over-critical dicks, most of whom never boxed in their lives ? Holyfield was a very good champion and Bowe had to fight a great fight to beat him.

(Why do you say he feigned heart problems ? That came later, against Moorer, and he didn't "feign" anything. He fought injured, or was just plain old (after two hard fights with Bowe), and was diagnosed by a doctor and told to retire. It's completely irrelevant to the Bowe 1992 fight, just an excessive dig at Bowe and Holyfield.)

You only have to watch the Holyfield-Bowe fight of 1992 to see that these two were extremely good heavyweights on that night.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #57
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Holyfield was very good. Who cares if he was seen as a "placeholder" by a bunch of over-critical dicks, most of whom never boxed in their lives ? Holyfield was a very good champion and Bowe had to fight a great fight to beat him.

(Why do you say he feigned heart problems ? That came later, against Moorer, and he didn't "feign" anything. He fought injured, or was just plain old (after two hard fights with Bowe), and was diagnosed by a doctor and told to retire. It's completely irrelevant to the Bowe 1992 fight, just an excessive dig at Bowe and Holyfield.)

You only have to watch the Holyfield-Bowe fight of 1992 to see that these two were extremely good heavyweights on that night.
I fully agree. Too much time is spent on watching Boxrec instead of the actual fights around here.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #58
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

IT was certainly a good and fun fight but it was also a dumb fight from both, tactically, and exposed holes in the game of both. Big ones, especially in Bowe´s.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #59
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
IT was certainly a good and fun fight but it was also a dumb fight from both, tactically, and exposed holes in the game of both. Big ones, especially in Bowe´s.
It was a great heavyweight fight between two superb heavyweights.
Perhaps Holyfield fought a bit dumb, he hadn't accounted for Bowe's heart and stamina.

I don't think was any "dumber", tactically or strategically, or exposed more holes, than the fights of Ali-Frazier-Foreman.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #60
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
How was it a dumb fight tactically for Bowe and what was exposed concerning him? He fought the perfect fight, I'd say.
Bokaj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum