Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default A video of me sparring

Hello. I started training in boxing at an MMA gym about 2 months ago(I did a little bit of training prior to that a while ago at another gym), so I'm definitely a novice that is just trying to take things slowly and improve myself by taking boxing. Here is a recent video of me sparring. I'm the guy with headgear and no shirt on. Any advice or criticism is welcome.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdSnq9t7fMM[/ame]
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323
Default Re: A video of me sparring

Get a better camera. Seriously I can't watch that.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Like mentioned, get a better camera and back up from the ring when videoing for a better view of what's going on.

Now from what I can make out, terrible footwork, way too flat footed, legs too far apart. You were really reaching with the punches I could make out, especially the right when you dipped at the waist a few times. Kind of slow and plodding.

Taking into account you are only in this for a couple months and not in shape, you're a work in progress. I'm guessing your size is about 5'10" and 180 or so. You look like you could lose 20+ lbs. and still be fit. Correct me if I'm wrong because it's all guess work from that video.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Christ that was shit, too much to list
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Christ that was shit, too much to list

Come on, tell him how you really feel. I'll bet with a little assertiveness training, you will come out your shell.

Pretty much how I felt but didn't want to bust his bubble too much. I figure he's young and inexperienced, so he has to start somewhere.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Course but let's be real the guys bragging about learning mma at a boxing gym in another thread; no excuse though my mma coach teaches better then that! Id need to see a lot more to give him real advice
Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Course but let's be real the guys bragging about learning mma at a boxing gym in another thread; no excuse though my mma coach teaches better then that! Id need to see a lot more to give him real advice
Actually, I'm taking boxing classes at an MMA gym. I don't do MMA. I'm just starting out, so I'm sure there are tons of mistakes I'm making without realizing it. But that's why I posted this here. ESB is brutally honest about everything, and I'm fine with that. I'm 5'10 and 171 now.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Either you're too fast for the camera or that was filmed at 2 frames per second.
The main thing I can see is your stance, very wide and flat footed. Maybe you were taught to stand like that to help avoid getting taken down in MMA, I don't know. As a boxer, not a good stance to be in. Even in MMA it would make it harder on offence to close distance.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Either you're too fast for the camera or that was filmed at 2 frames per second.
The main thing I can see is your stance, very wide and flat footed. Maybe you were taught to stand like that to help avoid getting taken down in MMA, I don't know. As a boxer, not a good stance to be in. Even in MMA it would make it harder on offence to close distance.
Thanks for the advice, I'll work on my stance and footwork next time I go to the gym. That's probably why I have problems landing head shots on taller fighters. I did some 1-2's on the mitts while chasing my partner down yesterday, and I had problems with my footwork. I'll slow that down and work on it. Advice appreciated.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingwizard View Post
Actually, I'm taking boxing classes at an MMA gym. I don't do MMA. I'm just starting out, so I'm sure there are tons of mistakes I'm making without realizing it. But that's why I posted this here. ESB is brutally honest about everything, and I'm fine with that. I'm 5'10 and 171 now.
Seeming as you take it well i'll help you give me 30 mins.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

OK fundamentally speaking there is a lot wrong with this video. Lefty for me is absolutely right the very first, and most obvious problem is your footwork. Footwork is the most important part of any fighters make up MMA, boxer or whatever.

If your base is wrong, everything else is too. You cannot throw correct punches from an incorrect base, you cannot defend punches correctly, you cannot close distance etc etc. Until your foundation is solid everything else is WRONG.

Front foot points towards your target, back foot offset slightly to the right (or left for southpaws) whatever direction you move in , that foot moves first and the trailing foot travels equal distance to maintain the same stance.

To correct follow this Freddie Roach video....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slhIIc4ORFs[/ame]

You should not be open sparring at this stage, your conditioning and ring experience is secondary to correct 'theory' initially. Get the fundamentals right and then spar - otherwise your just coaching your CNS to operate under incorrect form. The 'boxers' that look shit are 9 times out of ten the same guys who rush off and forget the fundamentals to soon.

Your weight is incorrectly distributed - sometimes you lean too far forward then too far back at other times.

You don't appear to know how to block a jab, let alone counter one.

You constantly move to the right, thus impeding any chance you have of throwing your own jab. And also trap yourself in the corner several times on just 60 seconds. Practice moving both ways and examine the benefits of moving ion one direction or the other. Moving to the right can allow you to fire off a very fast right hand for example as you don't need as much time to shift your weight.

When your in guard position your left hand is too low. When you throw your right you over commit and the left side of your face is unprotected.

My advice would be to find a decent trainer who can afford you some more time. To slow right down and nail foot work before even thinking about anything else.

I have two lads who have started with me last week and thus far have trained for a grand total of two hours and they are already better technically then you. For you to progress you must start again and retrain yourself from the feet up.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
OK fundamentally speaking there is a lot wrong with this video. Lefty for me is absolutely right the very first, and most obvious problem is your footwork. Footwork is the most important part of any fighters make up MMA, boxer or whatever.

If your base is wrong, everything else is too. You cannot throw correct punches from an incorrect base, you cannot defend punches correctly, you cannot close distance etc etc. Until your foundation is solid everything else is WRONG.

Front foot points towards your target, back foot offset slightly to the right (or left for southpaws) whatever direction you move in , that foot moves first and the trailing foot travels equal distance to maintain the same stance.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You should not be open sparring at this stage, your conditioning and ring experience is secondary to correct 'theory' initially. Get the fundamentals right and then spar - otherwise your just coaching your CNS to operate under incorrect form. The 'boxers' that look shit are 9 times out of ten the same guys who rush off and forget the fundamentals to soon.

Your weight is incorrectly distributed - sometimes you lean too far forward then too far back at other times.

You constantly move to the right, thus impeding any chance you have of throwing your own jab. And also trap yourself in the corner several times on just 60 seconds. Practice moving both ways and examine the benefits of moving ion one direction or the other. Moving to the right can allow you to fire off a very fast right hand for example as you don't need as much time to shift your weight.

When your in guard position your left hand is too low. When you throw your right you over commit and the left side of your face is unprotected.

My advice would be to find a decent trainer who can afford you some more time. To slow right down and nail foot work before even thinking about anything else.

I have two lads who have started with me last week and thus far have trained for a grand total of two hours and they are already better technically then you. For you to progress you must start again and retrain yourself from the feet up.

Good luck.
Excellent advice and a great source for good videos with Freddie Roach showing a lot of stuff besides footwork. Like you and others have said, FOOTWORK is the foundation. Without it, most all else is shit.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
Dish
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

frame rate is too low. can't see shit
Dish is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Good luck.
Thanks for the in-depth advice. I'll ask for specific advice at the gym for footwork details.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

The guy that was taking it easy on you was dog shit
Journey Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing