Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
matbel8

vCash: 500
Default SPARRING video feedback needed

my 2nd time sparring im in red gloves and white shirt a different gym came to us

wanting to sparr so thats what we did i know i need work on my footwork but

criticism is appreaciated and watch the whole thing please thank you.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZ6C_hrnmY&feature=channel_video_title[/ame][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZ6C_hrnmY&feature=channel_video_title"]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYFpreRU-k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYFpreRU-k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]
matbel8 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
rokurota
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: SPARRING video feedback needed

you move around way too much.
rokurota is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Move both ways round the ring.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Your chin seems to be sticking out, keep your chin down and hands up.
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

-- Calm down. No need to move that much and pumping your gloves isn't faking anyone out that far away. Save energy.

-- You seem to be a rangy fast Pure Boxer. Why is your stance so wide, square, and forward? Legs that far are good for power. A stance that square is good for hooks, uppercuts, and straight right hands. A stance that forward is good for bobbing. You don't seem inclined to do either.

-- Since you seem like a Boxer, don't lean forward. Shift your weight to your back foot, keep your feet shoulder width apart, narrow the target (bring your right shoulder back), tuck your chin, and "crunch" (bring your torso chin and shoulders down toward your groin like a C).

-- Build slowly. You are forcing your right hand. That is why you throw it so far away. Learn to survive then look good with your left keeping your right hand glued to your temple/cheek. Add shots to your arsenal after perfecting throwing them on the heavy and double end bags.

-- Don't reach/second guess yourself. If you want to hit something? Fire at it 100% and bring it back at 100%. Don't throw it halfway, see he slipped, then step more, adjust the shot, etc... then fully extend. Your arm is out in space the whole time. See it, fire, bring it back.

Considering how long you have been sparring? You look like you have the tools to be a decent Boxer. You seem to have decent speed and nice balance. Your cardio seems good too. Keep up the good work! It will come together soon!
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
matbel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
-- Calm down. No need to move that much and pumping your gloves isn't faking anyone out that far away. Save energy.

-- You seem to be a rangy fast Pure Boxer. Why is your stance so wide, square, and forward? Legs that far are good for power. A stance that square is good for hooks, uppercuts, and straight right hands. A stance that forward is good for bobbing. You don't seem inclined to do either.

-- Since you seem like a Boxer, don't lean forward. Shift your weight to your back foot, keep your feet shoulder width apart, narrow the target (bring your right shoulder back), tuck your chin, and "crunch" (bring your torso chin and shoulders down toward your groin like a C).

-- Build slowly. You are forcing your right hand. That is why you throw it so far away. Learn to survive then look good with your left keeping your right hand glued to your temple/cheek. Add shots to your arsenal after perfecting throwing them on the heavy and double end bags.

-- Don't reach/second guess yourself. If you want to hit something? Fire at it 100% and bring it back at 100%. Don't throw it halfway, see he slipped, then step more, adjust the shot, etc... then fully extend. Your arm is out in space the whole time. See it, fire, bring it back.

Considering how long you have been sparring? You look like you have the tools to be a decent Boxer. You seem to have decent speed and nice balance. Your cardio seems good too. Keep up the good work! It will come together soon!
thanks this is my second time really sparring i have sparred with other older

guys in the 20 plus range for my first time and just got whooped that made

me want to be better and the hand movement is just a habit thats my fault i

will work on it my trainer told me all these things after

and i honestly wasnt trying to stand there and let him unload on me because he was bigger than me by at least 50-70 pounds so i tryed to use that to my advantage
matbel8 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbel8 View Post
thanks this is my second time really sparring i have sparred with other older

guys in the 20 plus range for my first time and just got whooped that made

me want to be better and the hand movement is just a habit thats my fault i

will work on it my trainer told me all these things after
Word up man. No matter the faults you look decently athletic. Being comfortable and everything coming together comes with time.

Make sure you are shadow Boxing, training your jab on the double end bag, and getting your power up on the heavy bag. It will all help it seem easier in the ring.

Depending on your freedom, try not to over commit to sparring. Especially since it sounds like you were taking some beatings (we all do though). I used to spar once a month to see where I was at then go back to training solo. No point in just taking head shots when you are physically/mentally not ready.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

I'm no expert (I only sparred a few times myself) but you waste too much energy! Maybe moving a bit less and slipping some punches would be a good idea. You seem to have good athleticism anyway
Squire is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
matbel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I'm no expert (I only sparred a few times myself) but you waste too much energy! Maybe moving a bit less and slipping some punches would be a good idea. You seem to have good athleticism anyway
the reason im not slipping is because ive been boxing for a month and a half so i dont feel comfortable doing that right now mane
matbel8 is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I'd say for now work on staying on your toes and keeping your right shoulder pointed at your opponent while you move around. If you get good at doing that without squaring up and stuff, it can be a really effective style.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I'd say for now work on staying on your toes and keeping your right shoulder pointed at your opponent while you move around. If you get good at doing that without squaring up and stuff, it can be a really effective style.
I'd say that this is the best advice thus far. I would second this notion.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Obviously your just starting off, dont expect to be perfect just press yourself to improve..
Honestly dont ask for advice here on the forums, nobody here knows your bad habits or knows you or your attributes only your trainer does, so if there is anybody you should ask for advice ask your trainer. he knows your mistakes he knows your strong areas as well.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
red boy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I like watching these videos but the best people to listen to is your trainer.
red boy is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

Don't cross your legs!
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Yung
The Humble, Quiet, Tough.

You are moving a bit way too much mate, Keep yourself and feet calm and just be stabilized and only move when you want to avoid getting hit.

Guards up, chin down and remember to use your shoulders as well.

Not bad for a 2nd spar I guess, just keep sparring you will get better after practice.
Patience is key.
Yung is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing