Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default One hour circuit training class

I'm going to do a circuit training class tonight; one hour long accomodating 10-20 people.

What would you do?

How would you make it interesting?

Equipment minimal....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: One hour circuit training class

We do a session in one half of the boxing studio on Mondays and Fridays for about 50 minutes. Participants range from us young boxers, Thai boxers and Martial Artists to old women looking to keep fit. Our coach has something different every week. Some times we're doing small circuits of different exercises such as burpees, skipping, jump squats, press-ups, jumping jacks with squats etc. there is always an option for the less fit in the class to ease the workout up a abit, squats instead of jump squats, squat thrusts instead of burpees, press-ups on knees etc. We also sometimes do circuits of resistance exercises for a minute at a time such as jump squats, bench dips, press-up variations, dumbbell exercises.

The coach makes sure that everyone is moving, even if it's an easier variation or a slower pace. Rest intervals are usually short of about 30 seconds and the warm-ups are light aerobic exercises and stretching.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
I'm going to do a circuit training class tonight; one hour long accomodating 10-20 people.

What would you do?

How would you make it interesting?

Equipment minimal....
What level are the people you're training at? I'm sure you know everything you can include so I'm thinking you're after a fun activity that isn't common...
You could pair people up, get them in the push up position with their heads facing each other with the goal being to pull the other persons arm/arms away, first to go down 5 times has to do 10 push ups. Good for a laugh and promotes core stability.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
democritus2k

vCash: 500

lots and lots of burpees
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
wayneflint
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ive been in similair situations with no equipment so i just used some simple cheap things like masking tape to mark up the floor, washing lines or rope for slip lines, very cheap aswell. some thin elastic about 30p for a meter i got 50m of it and tennis balls was all i had 3 for 1 in a quid shop, i didnt have any bags and had a lot of gloves, focus mitts, bags and hand wraps and stuff stolen by a partner just before the classes lol. i had next to no equipment but i still had to give it a shot, i was trying to make it more for family type classes to get fit and also where they could get a hint on what boxing training is about and the activities involved in training, to get them more interested in boxing as a sport rather than simply using it as a tool to get fit.

Bands made from elastic for footwork
Masking tape for squares, circles, lines. footwork
1-1 drilling, stops, blocks, parrys, counters, natural counters, etc
Mirrors for shadow boxing
Shadow box sparring
Knotted towels, newby safe body shot drills etc.
Slip lines, rope ladders for head movement
Paper or cloth hanging on string from a ceiling for snappy straight shots, stops pushing
Tag boxing supervised
Workable slip bags- made from line and tennis balls (can be punched aswell if ceiling is strong) can also make double end ball out of elastic and tennis balls.
masking tape ring generalship squares
Masking tape ring gen squares bouncing tennis balls moving around for hand eye foot co-ordination.
Masking tape ring gen squares bouncing balls + with live partner to move around/work with.
Tag boxing on the slip line.

Ive got a lot of activities like this saved in a big file on the computer so if you think any may be useful let me know and ill send you the lot to have a look through, i like to think im quite the DIY man so a lot of equipment i used i made myself and it can all be made quite easily and cheap. Good luck, hope it goes well.
wayneflint is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
What level are the people you're training at? I'm sure you know everything you can include so I'm thinking you're after a fun activity that isn't common...
You could pair people up, get them in the push up position with their heads facing each other with the goal being to pull the other persons arm/arms away, first to go down 5 times has to do 10 push ups. Good for a laugh and promotes core stability.
love this drill. i still do that now when training with mates ect and we always end up having a laugh. i think with circuits its just the trainers attitude that makes all the difference. Its got to be hard and to push people but its got to feel rewarding. It sounds daft but praise for beginners goes along way.

Also anything team or competitive is always good. With mini punishments like the 10 push ups left said. But piggy back races. sprint races, leap frog races ect are always "fun".

What sort of equipment have you got jeff? I go to a great circuit training and they use a school gym. The trainers themselves have nothing just cards with the names of exercises. But steps benches get pulled out. And we found like those gymnastic boxes which we put in the center and have to jump/climb over. Also last week pulled out 3 big crash matts and army crawled on them then sprint round the gym ,crawl , sprint ect ect.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

also i keep pushing for them to get the climbing ropes out that are against the gym wall..... but they are a tad worried about liability
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

One thing that I know to be true is to make it something that all can accomplish. People will not come back if it is too hard or they are too sore to walk for days. I say this based on the assumption that some/most are going to be non athletes looking for a fun, upbeat workout. I think as far as exercises you probably have about 20 times the amount of knowledge on drills they can do than I have.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Like that
Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Thanks all, great advice got me thinking, Wayne can I look at that file?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
PESTFROMWEST
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Bomber how did the class go?

What programme did you do?
PESTFROMWEST is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Not doing it yet mate
Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Jabhook

wayneflint can you send me some more of your ideas please?
Jabhook is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wall sits!
rampant is online now  Top
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
ant-man
ant