Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: cook purse

How do you know he had a prolapsed disc before his MRI ? Same question re the surgery ? If he was injured before the fight , which he clearly was, he should not have 1 taken it or 2 been allowed to take it. His health should come first.
riggers is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv'nor View Post
I was there ringside & then backstage and Cooke was in extreme pain & distress. So theswan this thread and you are both shit you idiot. Cooke suffered a PRO-LAPSED DISC and was kept in hospital overnight to have a MRI scan today with a view to a possible operation today on his spine. So obviously not a fake or made up ilness, unfortunatly it is bad that it happend in such a big fight and for all paying and traveling fan's but nothing could be done or avoided so tough luck. I'm damn sure Cooke did'nt want it more than anybody else in the arena. My own boxing career was cut short due to a accident where i damaged my spine which required 2 major operation's and months of rehabilitation and i can tell you the pain would of been un-real, i was lucky enough to be able to get back on my feet again and become a trainer and still be involved in the sport. i applaud Cooke for trying to stay on his feet let alone try too carry on.
well well well if it isn't mr "i was there with the fighter mate, hes my mate, i saw things you didn't see because im more connected than you are"

the chap conned the fans, knew he was going into a fight injured and put in an absolutely dismal performance and should get paid his full purse?

nobody gives a toss about your injuries mate, we are talking about cook here.

he knew exactly what was going to happen and just turned up for his paycheck. he had no intention of winning the fight, simple as.
lirva is online now  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

First Haye's toe, now Cook's back.... if your injured, don't fight. It's giving a strong message that your only turning up for the cash. Boxing needs to deal with this.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Julie.H
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I was sat next to 2 lads from Perth who were there to follow Burns. They went for a piss and missed the entire fight!

I was in the ladies being sick, from the dodgy pizza I had from that pizza express across the way from the Echo and I missed the fight. All the way down to liverpool from Glasgow to not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetinlids View Post
I know 2 boys from Coatbridge who missed their bus home and had to get a taxi back up the road. 250 haha

I got lost driving home, I ended up traveling to Birmingham not thinking I was going the wrong way I must have had Frankie Gavin on the brain yesterday morning
Julie.H is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
SimonTemplar
Contender
ESB Senior Member

At least there was strength in depth on the bill so the Mitchell-Murray fight still gave good entertainment. If Cook knew that he was carrying an injury then he should have looked to delay the fight, but he could have thought that he was fit enough (particularly as Burns is often criticized for having fought lower-level opposition so Cook might have viewed this as a 'soft' title shot. Looked to me as though he was in real pain caused by a punch, so I don't see a case for withholding his purse. Sportsmen compete with niggling injuries all the time, goes with the territory. Trouble is, Cook got hit right on his and it affected him worse than he thought. Shame it went that way, but I don't feel that it was anyone's fault, particularly the promoter - as he said afterwards, Cook was passed fit to fight. If anything, credit to the promotor for having four decent, interesting fights on the bill, which offset the negative impact of Burns-Cook being disappointing.
SimonTemplar is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #21
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

It looked genuine to me. You could see his legs twitching when he went down.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i dont doubt he was genuinely hurt but he came into the fight with a bad injury. burns was backed off the boards to win by ko. cook basically conned his way to his paycheque. he should never have been in the ring and the fans and the boxing game are the ones who suffer as a result of his greed. coming into a fight with a bad injury knowing that you are not going to win the fight but just coming to collect your cheque is disgraceful
lirva is online now  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
jinks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

There is no doubt nicky cook was in pain but he could never have been fit for twelve rounds of boxing a pro boxer does thousand sit up he would twist and turn maybe ten thousand time press ups now he looked in shape no doubt but a lot of people paid good money and travel cost some with hotels so you don,t have to be a genus to work it out he had problem so should have pulled out instead of looking for a last pay day but didnt expect it to happen so quick maybe 5 or 6 rounds. now here another thing went to the bookies to bet ricky to win middle half and bet stoppage ladbrokes at 12 oclock on the day said to me all bet frozen as there a problem with cook.
jinks is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
It looked genuine to me. You could see his legs twitching when he went down.
Trust me that was absolutely genuine. Im not sure why anyone's doubting it. Cookie has had back trouble his entire career. That was common knowledge. Looks like most people seem to have forgotten that.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv'nor View Post
I was there ringside & then backstage and Cooke was in extreme pain & distress. So theswan this thread and you are both shit you idiot. Cooke suffered a PRO-LAPSED DISC and was kept in hospital overnight to have a MRI scan today with a view to a possible operation today on his spine. So obviously not a fake or made up ilness, unfortunatly it is bad that it happend in such a big fight and for all paying and traveling fan's but nothing could be done or avoided so tough luck. I'm damn sure Cooke did'nt want it more than anybody else in the arena. My own boxing career was cut short due to a accident where i damaged my spine which required 2 major operation's and months of rehabilitation and i can tell you the pain would of been un-real, i was lucky enough to be able to get back on my feet again and become a trainer and still be involved in the sport. i applaud Cooke for trying to stay on his feet let alone try too carry on.
Fair play, Guv.

Out of interest, did you place a bet on the fight and if so, how much?
richard mossley is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

He tried to continue. The BBBofC and Frank are to blame.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #27
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
He tried to continue. The BBBofC and Frank are to blame.
How can anyone be to blame? Cook has a freak injury. Obviously trained for the fight. Passed his medicals. Certainly looked in shape. But then has an accident in the ring and injures himself and someone's to blame for that?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

i think he was genuinley in pain but he purposley got hit on the back. he turned his back to the punches twice. its so obvious if u look for it
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
i think he was genuinley in pain but he purposley got hit on the back. he turned his back to the punches twice. its so obvious if u look for it

agree 100%
lirva is online now  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #30
girv
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have no doubt Cook's injury was genuine however the fact that booking was suspended suggests that there was some sort of word on the street.

When do boxers get their medicals in terms of days/hours before a fight?
girv is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum