Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #31
Macky
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What now for Murray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
I'm sure there'll be certain posters here who will have seen him supporting Macklin in Germany smashed out of his head whilst telling Joe G to '**** off Joe I'm 27 I'll do what I want"

I suggest you try and find out what the he'll you was watching that night as it certainly wasn't Murray vs Mitchell. To suggest Mitchell picked Murray apart landing his shots at will with Murray having no success Borders idiocy
This

i had Murray winning the fight after round 6......gave him 4 out of the 6 rounds......sure Mitchell was landing but murray landed more.

Fair play to Mitchell, was professional before the fight, during the fight and he was brilliant after the fight in his interview.

All the best to him
Macky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #32
mani0
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

If I was Murray I would call out Khan if he gets KOed by Judah.
Dont think he would have a chance of winning but at least he would get paid.
If not that then Gavin Rees or Andy Murray.
mani0 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #33
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Murray could try moving his head. He was well in the fight but head movement let him down.
Headmovement isnt as simple as simply moving your head. It takes a certain amount of reflexes, and skill to slipping punches that Murray just doesnt have. And in his late 20's, he wont just automatically add it to his style.

He is what he is.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
lusop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
About what? I think I was paying more attention than you.
He looked the same fighter that lost to kats... haha do me a favour, in a much better state of mind in this fight and won the 1st imo, ever thought Mitchell was staying to a game plan, as much to say in every interview up to the fight he was saying he will win by KO in later rounds, knew Murray would be strong 1st half of fight then to take over 2nd half and thats what happened.......
lusop is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #35
skellington
Bogbrush
ESB Senior Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

John Murray may have tasted defeat for the first time – but he remains a hero to his army of loyal fans. Or perhaps that should be superhero.

The former British and European lightweight champion flew out to Greece on Monday dressed as Batman’s sidekick, Robin.

And the 26-year-old, from Levenshulme, showed he is still in good humour despite his eighth-round knockout by Kevin Mitchell last Saturday, insisting: “I know I could have won – but my little toe was killing me.”

Murray, who accepted he was beaten by the better man on the night, was poking fun at David Haye’s limp excuse for his own defeat to Wladimir Klitschko at the start of the month. In an open letter to MEN Sport, he was quick to thank fans for their support at the Liverpool Echo Arena and vowed to get back on the world title trail right away.

On Monday, he headed off to Greece with his brother, Joe, and a group of friends after being involved in a contender for fight of the year against Mitchell.

Murray had been promised a shot at WBA champion Brandon Rios if he had managed to come through against Mitchell.

But defeat to the Londoner could now see him take on new European champion Gavin Rees as he rebuilds his career after relinquishing the longest unbeaten record in the country.

Promoter Frank ****** remains convinced he will pack out the MEN Arena like his idol, Ricky Hatton, promising to help him fulfill his dream of becoming a world champion.

And Murray says his ambition to conquer the sport has not been diminished by defeat.

“I always believed I would be world champion one day and I still believe I can do that,” he said.
skellington is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

I had Mitchell 3 rounds up at the stoppage, but those going overboard about the performance need a reality check. Murray landed a lot of good shots, and rocked Mitchell in the second but couldn't follow it up. He hit a lot of arms and around the back and was pretty crude looking but still roughed Mitchell up at times and found it fairly easy to land.

What would have happened if that had been Katsidis? Same as last time IMO. Mitchell did throw the uppercut much better in this fight and does have the speed, timing and power to hurt someone like Kat and throw him off his game plan. But he was still there to be caught in every single round and was caught in pretty much every single round.

As for Murray, well it is too late to start trying to drastically change him, but he could certainly work on head movement and using the jab more. That is nothing major, just tweaks and at least if he is popping out a quick double jab as he tries to close the ground and get in close it is not just an open invite to the opponent to fire off free shots at will as John attempts to get close.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #37
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

John Murray stands far too square on. I also hate the way he holds his guard with a giant gap in the middle just asking to be punched through and he doesn't have the reflexes to adjust. I know he wants to see the punches coming but he ends up taking a far closer look at the punches than he ought to be. Standing square on with a big hole in your defence, you can't really be shocked when you eventually get tagged too much.

It would be good if they adjusted his posture a little and got him working on jabbing his way in. His footwork is mediocre, we accept that, but if you occupy your opponent with a jab you've got a chance of distracting them as much as anything. You can't just plod in and tee off at this level. There are little changes to be made, whether they happen is another matter.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #38
KingMonkey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
John Murray stands far too square on. I also hate the way he holds his guard with a giant gap in the middle just asking to be punched through and he doesn't have the reflexes to adjust. I know he wants to see the punches coming but he ends up taking a far closer look at the punches than he ought to be. Standing square on with a big hole in your defence, you can't really be shocked when you eventually get tagged too much.

It would be good if they adjusted his posture a little and got him working on jabbing his way in. His footwork is mediocre, we accept that, but if you occupy your opponent with a jab you've got a chance of distracting them as much as anything. You can't just plod in and tee off at this level. There are little changes to be made, whether they happen is another matter.
Totally agree with this. His guard is shocking and he was so square on at times against Mitchell he almost looked southpaw.
KingMonkey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum