Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
northbakbren
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default An honest question to team khan and primetime (venusdiablo)....

How do you expect the MAJORITY of sky owners to know that the fight is on without an actual ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN.

It not boxing fans im talking about, im talking about the general public. I've spoken to loads of people who didnt even know he was fighting this weekend.

Boxing coverage in the british papers in minimal. And it seem primetimes budget on advertising is ZERO.

So how do team khan and primetime enhance or help amir in his career by litterally no advertisement for the fight other than on the massivly unknown channel that is primetime.

How are primetime helping themselves by not spending on advertising?

How can team khan be happy with this?

Feel sorry for amir for mismanagment by both his own promotional team and his tv network.
northbakbren is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: An honest question to team khan and primetime (venusdiablo)....

Theres been adverts in the daily rags in the sports sections today.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
northbakbren
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Theres been adverts in the daily rags in the sports sections today.
What about those that dont by papers?

Paper sales are at an all time low, as are the prices for advertising spaces, especially with the news international crisis at the moment.

How big were the ads? Even a quarter of a page or less?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

About a 3rd/ 4th of a page.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
northbakbren
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
About a 3rd/ 4th of a page.
Really, which paper?

Surpised by that, but still tv advertising is key. And it seems they've forgotten about the british public.

They're on HBO in the USA so they couldnt care less about the UK. And it showed not only with the ticket sales of the mcloskey fight but also the ppv buys, which were enhance by the massive advertising campaign that sky had already done for them....it flopped.

Primetime need to step up their game, as do team khan.

I mean how can you honestly take a company seriously that are charging a tenner to watch jordans ex fight.

And team khan need to realise who made them...the uk fans.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
venusdiablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

There is a lot of advertising in the national press, there are TV adverts going out and there will be a number shown during the Fury vs Chisora fight, however it would be impossible for us to advertise on every channel all the time....
venusdiablo is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This fight appears to be practically invisible to the general public. Even Chisora Fury seems to be off the radar. It just goes to show how much Sky Sports News has an effect on fight publicity.

The entire Khan-Mayweather press nonsense which Team Khan used during the last few weeks in order to promote the fight using Mayweather's name seems to have failed aswell. Since it began I've had many different casual sports fans mention in conversation after seeing the stories, saying "They were saying in the paper Khan is going to fight Mayweather".. discussing it for a few minutes about what it said, and not one of them seemed to have taken notice of the fact it mentioned he was fighting on the 23rd against Judah.
boxing4eva is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
Wig
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbakbren View Post
Really, which paper?

Surpised by that, but still tv advertising is key. And it seems they've forgotten about the british public.

They're on HBO in the USA so they couldnt care less about the UK. And it showed not only with the ticket sales of the mcloskey fight but also the ppv buys, which were enhance by the massive advertising campaign that sky had already done for them....it flopped.

I mean how can you honestly take a company seriously that are charging a tenner to watch jordans ex fight.

Dude, the fights on at 3 in the morning, why would any casual sports fans want to stay up for that?? I consider myself a keen boxing fan but its only really the big ones I'll stay up for, Khan Judah doesn't do it for me yet.

As for Khan needing to worry about his UK fans, I disagree entirely, he's clearly gone for the US market and its probably fair to say is more well liked over there than here where we seem to resent successful sportsmen on the whole, so not surprising he's aiming for the US, sensible business move surely!

Wig is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
Clayton Bigsby
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
How do you expect the MAJORITY of sky owners to know that the fight is on without an actual ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN.

It not boxing fans im talking about, im talking about the general public. I've spoken to loads of people who didnt even know he was fighting this weekend.

Boxing coverage in the british papers in minimal. And it seem primetimes budget on advertising is ZERO.

So how do team khan and primetime enhance or help amir in his career by litterally no advertisement for the fight other than on the massivly unknown channel that is primetime.

How are primetime helping themselves by not spending on advertising?

How can team khan be happy with this?

Feel sorry for amir for mismanagment by both his own promotional team and his tv network.
You clearly haven't heard of such a thing called 'marketing budget', have you? Primetime is new, young, and doesn't possess the muscle that Sky has. Their promotion of fights will always be second best.
Clayton Bigsby is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Clayton Bigsby
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Really, which paper?

And honestly, this whole "Khan must think about the UK fans that made him" bullshit is overblown. The man would occasionally get jeered by his own fans on his own soil. See the Barrera fight. And last December when he was fighting an Argentinian who made it known it was an Argentina vs England thing, a lot of the UK fans were supporting him over Khan (lol). He's hated here more than he's loved. No one should blame him for wanting to make it in the US instead. A place where success is welcomed, not resented.
Clayton Bigsby is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

i agree, i have mates that would be more clued up than your casual fan and none of them knew about this fight when i invited them up to my gaf to watch it
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
tomj
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 966

To be fair, Primetime aren't Sky Sports, most people who watch sports watch SS, Khan burnt bridges with SS and thus he has no hype.
tomj is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #13
Coldhearted
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 502

It should be looked at neutrally, Sky are just as equally at fault by making a statement to team khan saying we have no interest in the Judah or the Bradley fight therefore team khan HAVE to use primetime anyway.

I know the team had disagreements with sky but broken ties can always be mended and as far as I see it sky don't want anything to do with team khan anymore so it is not team khan that don't want to be on sky
Coldhearted is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusdiablo View Post
There is a lot of advertising in the national press, there are TV adverts going out and there will be a number shown during the Fury vs Chisora fight, however it would be impossible for us to advertise on every channel all the time....
i read the Edinburgh Evenign News ,and its not advertised in there .do you not thinkthat edinburgh boxing community would like to know that mr khan is fighting on saturday ,or dont they matter to you ?
alba is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
And honestly, this whole "Khan must think about the UK fans that made him" bullshit is overblown. The man would occasionally get jeered by his own fans on his own soil. See the Barrera fight. And last December when he was fighting an Argentinian who made it known it was an Argentina vs England thing, a lot of the UK fans were supporting him over Khan (lol). He's hated here more than he's loved. No one should blame him for wanting to make it in the US instead. A place where success is welcomed, not resented.
was it a argentian v england thing ,or an argentine v uk think ? make your mind up
alba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum