Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970
Default Barry Hall free to box if he chooses as of Sept 2011.

This runour comes and goes every 6 months or so, but here it is again:

$1m pay day may tempt Swan Hall to pull on gloves

Michael Cowley, Sydney | October 10, 2008

BARRY Hall will be tempted to end his football career and take up boxing when he meets one of the sport's biggest promoters next month.

Hall will meet with high-profile American boxing promoter Gary Shaw in Los Angeles, with Shaw expected to offer the Swans forward about $1 million to sign on for a career in the ring.

Hall has been invited to Los Angeles to be Shaw's guest at Vic Darchinyan's super-flyweight unification bout with Mexican Cristian Mijares on November 1, with the pair then to discuss the prospect of Hall pulling on the gloves.

"Elias Nassar, Vic Darchinyan's manager and Gary Shaw's representative in Australia, has told Gary all about Barry, and Gary invited Barry to be his guest and sit next to him ringside at Vic's fight," said leading Australian match-maker Angelo Hyder. "He wants to have a look at Barry move around a bit and he wants to make Barry an offer he can't refuse, which would possibly be a $1 million sign-on fee.

"Myself and Elias have worked with Gary Shaw for a number of years and we completely believe in Barry, but Gary Shaw is the bloke who talks the money and a $1 million sign-on fee for him is peanuts. At this stage, I think Gary wants him to do something straight away. I don't think he wants him to play another year and that's what they will have to talk about when they come face to face. He will have to work out what he wants to do and what's best for his future."

When contacted last night Hall did not wish to comment, only to say he was contracted to the Swans for next year. Hall, a successful amateur boxer as a junior, has often said he would like to try the sport again after football, and the end of that career continues to creep closer. He had been hoping to get an extension from the Swans on his contract which runs out at the end of 2009, but they refused, saying it would be discussed next season.

Another man in Hall's corner is former light heavyweight world champion Danny Green, who revealed yesterday how he met with Hall six months ago to discuss a move into the ring.

Green wants to be Hall's Australian-based promoter and has invited Hall to Perth in the coming weeks to train. He believes the time to make the move is now for the 31-year-old. "I think Barry should be making the call now. I think now is the right time to make the move," Green said. "Business is business and this is his life, no one else's and at the end of the day he's got to look after himself and I tend to think if he was serious about crossing over into boxing, and having a really good go at it, waiting another year I don't think would be beneficial to him. But let's see what Barry wants to do "

Hyder said that while Hall had not fought since his youth, he had seen him train, and would "completely recommend" him as having "the best potential of a boxer I have ever seen in this country, bar none."
"Heavyweight big blokes like Barry don't come along everyday, and he's a supreme athlete, he's got the goods."

Last edited by COULDHAVEBEEN; 07-18-2011 at 04:33 PM.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394
Default Re: Barry Hall tempted again to box!

Bazza has a lot less time on his hands though coz of his age and he already has some boxing ringmanship which means he can probably be accellerated a lot faster into fighting bigger names.
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

The only reason i wanna see Barry box is to stick it to some of you league fans.

Barry KOs Hoppa
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
bushboy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I think barry could do alright, Has a similar build to Kali Meehan and could probably fight that rangy style of boxing. He would be vulnerable to a big puncher though
bushboy is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Barge FTA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
The only reason i wanna see Barry box is to stick it to some of you league fans.

Barry KOs Hoppa
The NRL has teams in Townsville, Brisbane , Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Canberra & Melbourne.

The AFL has teams in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

For the Grand Final TV ratings nation wide, the AFL always beats the NRL. we have no need to stick it up them any more than we already do.
Barge FTA is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mate i'm sure he'll make a very good domestic heavy! that's about it.

Shaw probably thinks because he has a sporting name in Australia, he can do a Anthony Mundine and bleed the domestic public dry.....Thing is Barry Hall is more well known around the country than Mundine when first starting out in boxing.

I think hALL WLD STRUGGLE TO BEAT sOLO...........even after 2years of boxing.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge FTA
The NRL has teams in Townsville, Brisbane , Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Canberra & Melbourne.

The AFL has teams in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

For the Grand Final TV ratings nation wide, the AFL always beats the NRL. we have no need to stick it up them any more than we already do.
dam barge, i think we are on each others side, and thats twice in a month

i accept you humble apology
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Quote:

Barry KOs Hoppa
If u think Bazza ko'ing Hoppa would stick it up us leagies then u are kidding yourself.

How big is Bazza anyway?

Im just curious because the current duds dominating the heavyweight scene are 245plus pounders.And in the Euros cases also stand over 6ft6.

Gary shaw hands out 1m sign ons like its peanuts .

Im yet to see a fighter(even olympic gold medalists) sign on 4 1mill before they have even laced a pro glove.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Also funny how Hyder and Green are talking Hall up.

Show me the money.lol
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Barrera_fan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziebattler
If u think Bazza ko'ing Hoppa would stick it up us leagies then u are kidding yourself.

How big is Bazza anyway?

Im just curious because the current duds dominating the heavyweight scene are 245plus pounders.And in the Euros cases also stand over 6ft6.

Im yet to see a fighter(even olympic gold medalists) sign on 4 1mill before they have even laced a pro glove.
Didn't Audley Harrison get 1 mil when he turned pro, Hall couldn't be any worse than him.
Barrera_fan is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziebattler

How big is Bazza anyway?

Wikipedia have him listed as 102kg, so thats what.. 220-225 pounds? He is 195cm tall or a tad under 6'4 in the old language.
He may well fill out a bit when he changes his training routine that gets him ready for the constant running of AFL.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
dam barge, i think we are on each others side, and thats twice in a month

i accept you humble apology
both sound like fags

oooow that's 3 times in one month you're both on the same side
teke is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Texan Joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera_fan
Didn't Audley Harrison get 1 mil when he turned pro, Hall couldn't be any worse than him.
Yeah but Audley had just won a gold medal at the olympics all Hall has done ko'd someone with a king hit playing fag ball...

The leaguies would smash him, he's an auaaie rules player for ****'s sake
Texan Joe is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Joe
Yeah but Audley had just won a gold medal at the olympics all Hall has done ko'd someone with a king hit playing fag ball...

The leaguies would smash him, he's an auaaie rules player for ****'s sake
teke is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Howdy, does anyone have the link/youtube for when Barry Hall got pushed in a game a cpl years ago,he turned round,raised his fist and the muppet fell down ?

Im thinking it was a Richmond player or West Coast.

cheers

Hairy
HairyHighlander is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum