Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
rjko23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 304
Default just watched the frankie gavin fight!

very close fight with very little consistent punches landed from either fighter. frankie was trying to pull off his silky moves but he couldn't quite manage it. before he could slip a punch and counter he was stopped in his tracks by a good stiff jab.

woodhouse to his credit must of worked on beating gavin to the punch and not giving him time to think. he did look very fit and very game but really is taylor made for someone with gavins ability and style.

im no expert but from what i can tell frankie needs to work on his basic boxing. develop a solid jab and let hand down the middle. instead of ALWAYS looking for clear openings he needs to start throwing combinations more often. too often he was waiting for woodhouse to commit so he could throw the counter uppercut or body shot. by being so unorthordox and technical he's become strangely predictable. he was losing rounds by waiting and waiting then getting tagged.

if he can improve his basics and become more aggresive he has the natural ability to become a very good world champion.
rjko23 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
dandur55
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: just watched the frankie gavin fight!

From what i saw in his last 2 fights Gavin going nowere, EBU is the limit
dandur55 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandur55 View Post
From what i saw in his last 2 fights Gavin going nowere, EBU is the limit
He looks a little unmotivated right now, but the above is ludicrous. He's massively talented. Definite world-level defence, just needs to work more consistently.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
tjf81
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Based solely on his last 2 performances then I'd say he hasa valid point. Talented but not looked it in his last 2 fights. Hopefully he reaches his potential.
tjf81 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Gavin is obviously a very talented young man...I know that its a different code but the fundamentals are basically the same...winning a world amateur title is significantly more difficult and more of an achievement than winning any old ABC strap
icemax is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Gym fighter?

I'm just saying...
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Gym fighter?

I'm just saying...
nah,wouldent say gym fighter
in his 1st 8 fights he looked class,just seems to have lost some interest,needs to get down to lightwelter though,no doubt

in the woodhouse fight,and the mutley fight,just looked lacklustre,like he couldent be arsed,woodhouse just outworked him half the time,looked the busier fighter.
he needs some motivation and quick
widdy is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
troy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

he seems to be struggling so soon against guys he should be blowing away plus he gets cut up pretty easy not looking to good at the moment for fun time frankie.
troy is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Gym fighter?

I'm just saying...
A little unfair that slip. He's had a pretty 'below par' performance last time out. Once again against Mutley he looked a little flat but I can 100% confirm he had been I'll prior to that and IIRC he didn't lose a single round that fight either.

I read a thread last night after the Lomax fight, he wasn't being called a gym fighter then was he? I appreciate Lomax isn't the greatest but he wasn't a gym fighter when he consistently did the business in the AM's either

Frankie will come good, I have no doubts whatsoever about that, he's seen the error of his ways with regards to his weight, diet etc etc and has already started putting those things right.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
he seems to be struggling so soon against guys he should be blowing away plus he gets cut up pretty easy not looking to good at the moment for fun time frankie.
Who (apart from Woodhouse) has he struggled against. Prior to Lomax he didn't lose a single round. He completely took the piss and outclassed Lomax, he never lost a single round against Mutley despite him obviously looking a little flat?????
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
A little unfair that slip. He's had a pretty 'below par' performance last time out. Once again against Mutley he looked a little flat but I can 100% confirm he had been I'll prior to that and IIRC he didn't lose a single round that fight either.

I read a thread last night after the Lomax fight, he wasn't being called a gym fighter then was he? I appreciate Lomax isn't the greatest but he wasn't a gym fighter when he consistently did the business in the AM's either

Frankie will come good, I have no doubts whatsoever about that, he's seen the error of his ways with regards to his weight, diet etc etc and has already started putting those things right.
We were both there talking to him after that one. And then I went and had a pint with Lomax! lol.

My worry with Frankie is the seeming lack of pop in his shots!
Will is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
We were both there talking to him after that one. And then I went and had a pint with Lomax! lol.

My worry with Frankie is the seeming lack of pop in his shots!
He may not have huge power pal but he has enough, especially when he's back down at 140
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
bigboxingfan
Hypejob
ESB Senior Member

Good defensive fighter but from what I have seen he really lacks in offense. He doesn't have the power so he should be letting his hands go more and become a fighter that knows how bag the rounds. It seems he is too hesitant to lead even when the opportunity is there. A very defensive counterpuncher..........will be boring and hence not get many fans.
bigboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
He looks a little unmotivated right now, but the above is ludicrous. He's massively talented. Definite world-level defence, just needs to work more consistently.
going of his last two performances he would lose to Purdy, Theophane etc. so its not a ludicrous comment.

if he has a world class defence how the **** did curtis woodhouse hit him repeatedly???
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
He may not have huge power pal but he has enough, especially when he's back down at 140
he was fighting a Light Welterweight and had a huge weight advantage. moving down won't increase his power
Jonsey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum