Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
rjko23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 304
Default Re: just watched the frankie gavin fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
he was fighting a Light Welterweight and had a huge weight advantage. moving down won't increase his power
he said himself that his diet isn't very good. im not supprised looking at him. he doesn't exactly look muscle bound does he? fleshy if anything. all he needs is that extra bit of snap in his punches and he'll be a completely different fighter. he just didn't have the power to keep woodhouse at bay, even when he caught him clean woodhouse barely blinked so with that bit more speed and pop in his punches those counters would of had more of an effect.
rjko23 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandur55 View Post
From what i saw in his last 2 fights Gavin going nowere, EBU is the limit
Have to agree with that...hasnt impressed me at all, for all the hype that goes with him!

Disappointed.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
Who (apart from Woodhouse) has he struggled against. Prior to Lomax he didn't lose a single round. He completely took the piss and outclassed Lomax, he never lost a single round against Mutley despite him obviously looking a little flat?????
Prior to Lomaz who's he fought? he's been bigged up and should be blowing away all the guys before Lomax, so as expected.

The point is since he has stepped up to the level of Lomax, Mutley, Woodhouse they arent exactly potential world beaters! and he has struggled.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Just watch this in full and i have to ask what the hell were people oohing and ahhing about? Frankie dominated this fight. I can't believe some people on here had it so close and one or two even had Woodhouse winning, LOL!

You see, sometimes people assume something to be true, except it as the truth and just run with it. Even though it's not the truth. This is what has happened here. People need to watch this fight in full before making any assumptions.

Gavin was boxing beautifully in tight circles, pivoting, turning and apart from a couple of right hands, slipping all the big stuff. The kid was having fun in there for the most part and doing a number on Curtis on the cards.

The only things you could criticise is him not being accurate and assertive enough with his jab. (He simply didn't throw it enough and is timing of the jab was slightly off). He needs to make his opponent pay more for missing and work on his conditioning. Work that body a lot more as that will be a HUGE part of his success. And he was leaning forward to far, leaving him too heavy on the front foot. Apart from that it was a pretty good performance.

Either i've just seen a completely different fight or a lot of people jump the gun because they lost big moolah on the fight going the distance. I saw this as a good workout/learning fight for Frankie. Plenty of positives and not as many negatives as i was expecting to come away with.

round 1: 10-10
round 2: 10-9 Gavin
round 3: 10-9 Gavin
round 4: 10-9 Gavin
round 5: 10-9 Gavin
round 6: 10-9 Woodhouse
round 7: 10-9 Gavin
round 8: 10-9 Gavin
round 9: 10-9 Gavin
round 10: 10-9 Gavin
round 11: 10-9 Gavin
round 12: 10-9 Gavin

10-1-1 Gavin

Unfortunately, fighters like Gavin are not gonna be appreciated and are always gonna be heavily criticised because he's not dynamic. The sad thing is all this negativity seems to have transfered to Frankie himself and he may end up trying to become something he's not. He should forget all this nonsense and concentrate on perfecting the fundamentals, his natural defensive reflexes and putting on clinics.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Funny how the judges also saw it quite differently.

He is way too easy to hit for starters.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
rjko23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 304

not suere about gavin winning 10 rounds! he definatly lost 3 rounds on my cards and there were about 3 rounds pretty even. he kept getting caught with the jab. whats supprising is he didn't adjust and figure out woudhouse style. he's supposed to be a smart fighter.
rjko23 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
bigboxingfan
Hypejob
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

My earlier comment was based on Frankie's last fight and his career so far. I didn't bother watching this fight cuz Gavin is quite boring. Interesting to see Slip's scorecard here. I might check out the fight now and score it myself
bigboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Just watch this in full and i have to ask what the hell were people oohing and ahhing about? Frankie dominated this fight. I can't believe some people on here had it so close and one or two even had Woodhouse winning, LOL!

You see, sometimes people assume something to be true, except it as the truth and just run with it. Even though it's not the truth. This is what has happened here. People need to watch this fight in full before making any assumptions.

Gavin was boxing beautifully in tight circles, pivoting, turning and apart from a couple of right hands, slipping all the big stuff. The kid was having fun in there for the most part and doing a number on Curtis on the cards.

The only things you could criticise is him not being accurate and assertive enough with his jab. (He simply didn't throw it enough and is timing of the jab was slightly off). He needs to make his opponent pay more for missing and work on his conditioning. Work that body a lot more as that will be a HUGE part of his success. And he was leaning forward to far, leaving him too heavy on the front foot. Apart from that it was a pretty good performance.

Either i've just seen a completely different fight or a lot of people jump the gun because they lost big moolah on the fight going the distance. I saw this as a good workout/learning fight for Frankie. Plenty of positives and not as many negatives as i was expecting to come away with.

10-1-1 Gavin

Unfortunately, fighters like Gavin are not gonna be appreciated and are always gonna be heavily criticised because he's not dynamic. The sad thing is all this negativity seems to have transfered to Frankie himself and he may end up trying to become something he's not. He should forget all this nonsense and concentrate on perfecting the fundamentals, his natural defensive reflexes and putting on clinics.
Interesting, very interesting. I need to take a look.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post

The only things you could criticise is him not being accurate and assertive
enough with his jab. (He simply didn't throw it enough and is timing of the jab was slightly off). He needs to make his opponent pay more for missing and work on his conditioning. Work that body a lot more as that will be a HUGE part of his success. And he was leaning forward to far, leaving him too heavy on the front foot. Apart from that it was a pretty good performance.

Either i've just seen a completely different fight or a lot of people jump the gun because they lost big moolah on the fight going the distance. I saw this as a good workout/learning fight for Frankie. Plenty of positives and not as many
negatives as i was expecting to come away with.

10-1-1 Gavin

I had it 9-2-1 for Gavin

I (and everyone around me seemingly). Was genuinely stunned to hear "Split Decision" called out.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #25
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Up to round 5

Round 1 - A bit untidy, nothing much in it.

Round 2 - Gavin getting caught with the jab too much, but sneaked the round

3-5 - I thought Gavin boxed nicely in these rounds. Tightened up his defence and started to work his way into this fight, Woodhouse hitting nothing and getting outboxed now by sharp little counters through the guard and chopping shots to the body.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
HitmanHatton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcTTtK7tRks&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

This is off Frank ******'s Youtube channel for anyone who hasn't seen it. The only problem is Colin Hart is commentating on the fight lol!!
HitmanHatton is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #27
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Dave Parris

Scoring that to Woodhouse is beyond awful. I would say shocking but nothing shocks me where big Dave is concerned.

It was no way near as bad as people were saying, but at the same time there were spots that weren't particularly good from Gavin. Woodhouse was pretty decent despite his losses, put on the pressure, good chin and kept a nice tight defence, he was just a bit too limited but he really did raise his game for this fight. Gavin's lack of power is worrying though, but overall I do think he's underappreciated due to style. If a pressure fighter put on a similar level performance I don't think he'd get half as much stick as Gavin.

Gavin's only performing to half his potential in that shape, fueled by Beans on Toast. He could and should be a lot better. A real diet and dedication will transform him, he'd be faster, punching a little harder, his reflexes would be even sharper. He'd be a different animal, but he's got to find the resolve to make that happen.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
HitmanHatton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just watched the whole fight and I can't believe some of the comments on here. Gavin won every round IMO and thats no exaggeration, he looked like he was just warming up in the first two rounds and took the the piss out of Woodhouse after that.

For Dave Parris to give the fight to Woodhouse, he must have had a bet on down at the bookies on a split decision!! Anytime Gavin stepped up a gear, Woodhouse looked in trouble of being stopped.
HitmanHatton is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
Havik
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 902

I scored it 10-1-1 Gavin. Over the whole fight that seems harsh on Woodhouse, who made it interesting throughout, but it's the score I get.

1. 10-10
2. 10-9 Gavin (close)
3. 10-9 Gavin
4. 10-9 Gavin
5. 10-9 Gavin
6. 10-9 Gavin (close)
7. 10-9 Gavin
8. 10-9 Gavin
9. 10-9 Gavin
10. 10-9 Woodhouse
11. 10-9 Gavin (close)
12. 10-9 Gavin
Havik is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

1. Cw
2. Cw
3. Fg
4. Fg
5. Fg
6. Fg
7. Fg
8. Fg
9. Fg
10. Cw
11. Cw
12. Fg