Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664
Default Re: just watched the frankie gavin fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
I scored it 10-1-1 Gavin. Over the whole fight that seems harsh on Woodhouse, who made it interesting throughout, but it's the score I get.

1. 10-10
2. 10-9 Gavin (close)
3. 10-9 Gavin
4. 10-9 Gavin
5. 10-9 Gavin
6. 10-9 Gavin (close)
7. 10-9 Gavin
8. 10-9 Gavin
9. 10-9 Gavin
10. 10-9 Woodhouse
11. 10-9 Gavin (close)
12. 10-9 Gavin
I must have missed the rematch
icemax is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
going of his last two performances he would lose to Purdy, Theophane etc. so its not a ludicrous comment.

if he has a world class defence how the **** did curtis woodhouse hit him repeatedly???
He was boring against mutley, not bad. He completely shut him down. Haven't seen the woodhouse fight, but will do tonight. One bad night at the office hardly makes him an easy mark.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
Havik
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
I must have missed the rematch
Looking at this thread, I'm far from the only one to have it a clear Gavin win. So, how did you score it?
Havik is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #34
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think it's all down to expectation on how you view Frankie Gavin and his recent performances. I've always said Frankie is a really good talent, but a little style over substance. By that i mean he has what it takes to pick up a strap along the way and have a very good career, but he needs to have exceptional attributes with his style to operate at truly world class level. I have never got that vibe of a Calzaghe type of special talent from Frankie. It's very difficult for fighters like Gavin to compete at the top for any sustained period if they don't have incredible gifts in their tool box. Frankie is talented, but not special. I hope this makes sense.

His reflexes and anticipation are good, but not great. He can make you miss but doesn't always make you pay. His power is lacking so he needs to fight really intelligent, be spot on all the time and as he moves up fight close to perfect fights, as he doesn't have that game changer to bail himself out. His boxing IQ needs to be top notch. Basically for him to succeed at world level with his disadvantages he needs perfect fundamentals or incredible defensive reflexes, which he doesn't have. You can't be hit with a double jab from Curtis Woodhouse, if you're gonna stay in hitting range like that your eyes have to be first-rate. You need to take care of the little details like always staying off centre and constantly keeping your foot outside of your opponents lead, which Frankie wasn't always doing against Woodhouse.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #35
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboxingfan View Post
Good defensive fighter but from what I have seen he really lacks in offense. He doesn't have the power so he should be letting his hands go more and become a fighter that knows how bag the rounds. It seems he is too hesitant to lead even when the opportunity is there. A very defensive counterpuncher..........will be boring and hence not get many fans.
Agreed. He simply doesn't throw a lot and doesn't pack much power in his shots. He is primarily a defensive fighter so its not going to pack the crowd into the arena as he moves on. He is a defensive counterpuncher and is not content to lead.. maybe that needs to be taught to him by a better trainer than farnell as i do believe he should get better training. he needs to work on his offense
lirva is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #36
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
I scored it 10-1-1 Gavin. Over the whole fight that seems harsh on Woodhouse, who made it interesting throughout, but it's the score I get.

1. 10-10
2. 10-9 Gavin (close)
3. 10-9 Gavin
4. 10-9 Gavin
5. 10-9 Gavin
6. 10-9 Gavin (close)
7. 10-9 Gavin
8. 10-9 Gavin
9. 10-9 Gavin
10. 10-9 Woodhouse
11. 10-9 Gavin (close)
12. 10-9 Gavin
This is probabily the most spot on scorecard. No arguments if anyone gave Woodhouse the 10th. I probabily gave him the wrong round.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirva View Post
Agreed. He simply doesn't throw a lot and doesn't pack much power in his shots. He is primarily a defensive fighter so its not going to pack the crowd into the arena as he moves on. He is a defensive counterpuncher and is not content to lead.. maybe that needs to be taught to him by a better trainer than farnell as i do believe he should get better training. he needs to work on his offense
You really do need to stop this obsession. You're making yourself look a knob.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

Quote:
Looking at this thread, I'm far from the only one to have it a clear Gavin win. So, how did you score it?
I'm not saying it wasn't a clear Gavin win but after watching it the impression I got was that the 116-113 score was closer than the virtual shutouts people on here had it...You only have to look at Gavins post fight reaction to realise that he knew it wasn't anywhere close to some of the scores you lads have got it.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #39
Arnie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Such a nob u
Arnie is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #40
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'm not saying it wasn't a clear Gavin win but after watching it the impression I got was that the 116-113 score was closer than the virtual shutouts people on here had it...You only have to look at Gavins post fight reaction to realise that he knew it wasn't anywhere close to some of the scores you lads have got it.
That was probabily more to do with Frankie being dissappointed with not getting Woodhouse out of there or letting him do better than he expected. He was hard on himself i thought, which isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Such a nob u
Take no notice of him, Arnie.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #41
Havik
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 902

Quote:
Despite the score I got, he wasn't quite blowing Woodhouse away. The fight doesn't feel like a 119-110 affair to me either btw, it's just one of those fights where round-by-round scoring doesn't give a wholly accurate view of how the fight went.

Pre-fight, Gavin was saying he was going to stop Woodhouse, that Woodhouse was nowhere near good enough to be in the ring with him etc... Turns out Woodhouse easily went 12 with him and made most rounds competitive. Frankie can't be happy with that, I'd be worried if he was.
Havik is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #42
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
That was probabily more to do with Frankie being dissappointed with not getting Woodhouse out of there or letting him do better than he expected. He was hard on himself i thought, which isn't a bad thing.
It was more than disappointment, the lad was beside himself, completely down and deflated.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #43
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Just watch this in full and i have to ask what the hell were people oohing and ahhing about? Frankie dominated this fight. I can't believe some people on here had it so close and one or two even had Woodhouse winning, LOL!

You see, sometimes people assume something to be true, except it as the truth and just run with it. Even though it's not the truth. This is what has happened here. People need to watch this fight in full before making any assumptions.

Gavin was boxing beautifully in tight circles, pivoting, turning and apart from a couple of right hands, slipping all the big stuff. The kid was having fun in there for the most part and doing a number on Curtis on the cards.

The only things you could criticise is him not being accurate and assertive enough with his jab. (He simply didn't throw it enough and is timing of the jab was slightly off). He needs to make his opponent pay more for missing and work on his conditioning. Work that body a lot more as that will be a HUGE part of his success. And he was leaning forward to far, leaving him too heavy on the front foot. Apart from that it was a pretty good performance.

Either i've just seen a completely different fight or a lot of people jump the gun because they lost big moolah on the fight going the distance. I saw this as a good workout/learning fight for Frankie. Plenty of positives and not as many negatives as i was expecting to come away with.

round 1: 10-10
round 2: 10-9 Gavin
round 3: 10-9 Gavin
round 4: 10-9 Gavin
round 5: 10-9 Gavin
round 6: 10-9 Woodhouse
round 7: 10-9 Gavin
round 8: 10-9 Gavin
round 9: 10-9 Gavin
round 10: 10-9 Gavin
round 11: 10-9 Gavin
round 12: 10-9 Gavin

10-1-1 Gavin

Unfortunately, fighters like Gavin are not gonna be appreciated and are always gonna be heavily criticised because he's not dynamic. The sad thing is all this negativity seems to have transfered to Frankie himself and he may end up trying to become something he's not. He should forget all this nonsense and concentrate on perfecting the fundamentals, his natural defensive reflexes and putting on clinics.
for me, woodhouse took the first, second, sixth and tenth clearly enough.

its mostly gavin in the other rounds but there is a case to be made for curtis in those rounds.

i dont think its harsh on gavin to give curtis those 4 rounds, thats pretty fair imo.

they are the ones he won clear enough for me. there is not much in most of the other rounds apart from the 12th
lirva is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #44
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:
seriously,mate,lad,lady,what ever the **** you are,will you shut the **** up.

some questions for you : what experiance do you have i boxing
have you boxed
have you hit a bag
have you been in a ring and hit some pads with a trainer
have you sparred
have you shadow boxed
have you skipped
have you walked past a boxing gym
have you watched rocky 1 2 3 4 5 6 ?

im just asking,cos you got a ****ing lot to say for yourself sweetie
widdy is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #45
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
seriously,mate,lad,lady,what ever the **** you are,will you shut the **** up.

some questions for you : what experiance do you have i boxing
have you boxed
have you hit a bag
have you been in a ring and hit some pads with a trainer
have you sparred
have you shadow boxed
have you skipped
have you walked past a boxing gym
have you watched rocky 1 2 3 4 5 6 ?

im just asking,cos you got a ****ing lot to say for yourself sweetie
Dan684 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum