Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #46
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: just watched the frankie gavin fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
dan,its essential to any budding pugilist
widdy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #47
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
dan,its essential to any budding pugilist
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #48
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirva View Post
for me, woodhouse took the first, second, sixth and tenth clearly enough.

its mostly gavin in the other rounds but there is a case to be made for curtis in those rounds.

i dont think its harsh on gavin to give curtis those 4 rounds, thats pretty fair imo.

they are the ones he won clear enough for me. there is not much in most of the other rounds apart from the 12th
You've changed your tune somewhat, didn't you have Woodhouse winning the fight? lol.

Tell me what Curtis did to take the first and second? Absolutely nothing happened in the first to separate them and Frankie controlled the second and clearly edged it with ring generalship. I'm sorry, but you can't give someone rounds just because they're coming forward and missing wildly. Woodhouse did not win one round clear. Anything he gets is giving him the benefit of the doubt. The 6th for example is close, probabily more even then a Woodhouse round, but i gave him the benefit of the doubt. The 10th he landed 2 clear punches whilst Gavin controlled the majority of the round. But as those two punches (right hand along the ropes and left hook up close) were probabily the most effective of the round then heck why not give him that round too. Hardley winning it clearly.

What happens in these cases is people see a underdog seemingly doing better than expected and they start seeing what they want to see and giving him more credit then he deserves. It's like when a fighter is getting dominated on the cards, suddenly has a round where he does comparatively better then in the previous rounds, but still doesn't win the round and people will give it to him.

Fact is, scoring on a round by round basis Frankie Gavin dominated that fight, didn't look as poor as people are making out and Woodhouse came nowhere near to winning it. It was closer to a shutout then what the judges had it, that's for sure.

What's happened is, people have heard split decision and automatically thought 'robbery' or close fight.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #49
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Just watch this in full and i have to ask what the hell were people oohing and ahhing about? Frankie dominated this fight. I can't believe some people on here had it so close and one or two even had Woodhouse winning, LOL!

You see, sometimes people assume something to be true, except it as the truth and just run with it. Even though it's not the truth. This is what has happened here. People need to watch this fight in full before making any assumptions.

Gavin was boxing beautifully in tight circles, pivoting, turning and apart from a couple of right hands, slipping all the big stuff. The kid was having fun in there for the most part and doing a number on Curtis on the cards.

The only things you could criticise is him not being accurate and assertive enough with his jab. (He simply didn't throw it enough and is timing of the jab was slightly off). He needs to make his opponent pay more for missing and work on his conditioning. Work that body a lot more as that will be a HUGE part of his success. And he was leaning forward to far, leaving him too heavy on the front foot. Apart from that it was a pretty good performance.

Either i've just seen a completely different fight or a lot of people jump the gun because they lost big moolah on the fight going the distance. I saw this as a good workout/learning fight for Frankie. Plenty of positives and not as many negatives as i was expecting to come away with.

round 1: 10-10
round 2: 10-9 Gavin
round 3: 10-9 Gavin
round 4: 10-9 Gavin
round 5: 10-9 Gavin
round 6: 10-9 Woodhouse
round 7: 10-9 Gavin
round 8: 10-9 Gavin
round 9: 10-9 Gavin
round 10: 10-9 Gavin
round 11: 10-9 Gavin
round 12: 10-9 Gavin

10-1-1 Gavin

Unfortunately, fighters like Gavin are not gonna be appreciated and are always gonna be heavily criticised because he's not dynamic. The sad thing is all this negativity seems to have transfered to Frankie himself and he may end up trying to become something he's not. He should forget all this nonsense and concentrate on perfecting the fundamentals, his natural defensive reflexes and putting on clinics.
Yes your right there when the critics blow their horns some fighters react and try to be what they are not and end up falling shot. Frankie has his style, he just needs to up and maintain his dedication and commitment and fight at the weight best suited to him.
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #50
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
You've changed your tune somewhat, didn't you have Woodhouse winning the fight? lol.

Tell me what Curtis did to take the first and second? Absolutely nothing happened in the first to separate them and Frankie controlled the second and clearly edged it with ring generalship. I'm sorry, but you can't give someone rounds just because they're coming forward and missing wildly. Woodhouse did not win one round clear. Anything he gets is giving him the benefit of the doubt. The 6th for example is close, probabily more even then a Woodhouse round, but i gave him the benefit of the doubt. The 10th he landed 2 clear punches whilst Gavin controlled the majority of the round. But as those two punches (right hand along the ropes and left hook up close) were probabily the most effective of the round then heck why not give him that round too. Hardley winning it clearly.

What happens in these cases is people see a underdog seemingly doing better than expected and they start seeing what they want to see and giving him more credit then he deserves. It's like when a fighter is getting dominated on the cards, suddenly has a round where he does comparatively better then in the previous rounds, but still doesn't win the round and people will give it to him.

Fact is, scoring on a round by round basis Frankie Gavin dominated that fight, didn't look as poor as people are making out and Woodhouse came nowhere near to winning it. It was closer to a shutout then what the judges had it, that's for sure.

What's happened is, people have heard split decision and automatically thought 'robbery' or close fight.
you are entitled to your opinion. i posted my scorecard already and i stand by it so i am not changing my tune at all.
lirva is online now  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #51
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ok i ve just finished watching the fight,

1 Sky highlights were very misleading,
2 I dont know what the hell Dave Paris was watching
3 I had Frankie winning easily
4 Frankie was making Curtis mis and countering him bigtime, but just not enough offence except in the last round, more of that earlier and Woodhouse would`nt have lasted.
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #52
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

I’m not sure why everyone’s so upset with Frankie. I thought he basically controlled Woodhouse comfortably. He never really stepped it up, so Woodhouse was able to march forwards, but in terms of Frankie’s performance, I’d say it was pretty good.

Yeah, he needs to tighten up a little – he wasn’t comfortable with Woodhouse’s double jab, and he would sometimes misjudge the distance which led to him falling onto the ropes and eating a right hand. But by and by – I thought that was a good learning fight. He got pushed just enough that he needed to adjust. I’d find it hard to give Woodhouse more than two rounds.

It’s amazing how much Jim Watt’s commentary can sway a viewer’s perception of the fight. Watt’s scorecards can be really strange sometimes when he gives credit for simply throwing punches.

I still think Gavin’s a phenomenal talent. Can’t wait to see him next time out.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #53
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I’m not sure why everyone’s so upset with Frankie. I thought he basically controlled Woodhouse comfortably. He never really stepped it up, so Woodhouse was able to march forwards, but in terms of Frankie’s performance, I’d say it was pretty good.

Yeah, he needs to tighten up a little – he wasn’t comfortable with Woodhouse’s double jab, and he would sometimes misjudge the distance which led to him falling onto the ropes and eating a right hand. But by and by – I thought that was a good learning fight. He got pushed just enough that he needed to adjust. I’d find it hard to give Woodhouse more than two rounds.

It’s amazing how much Jim Watt’s commentary can sway a viewer’s perception of the fight. Watt’s scorecards can be really strange sometimes when he gives credit for simply throwing punches.

I still think Gavin’s a phenomenal talent. Can’t wait to see him next time out.
i think its clear to see what everyones issue with him is.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #54
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
What is it?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #55
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
What is it?
That shower of shite he supports.
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #56
modestbiggles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post

Agreed. Get his conditioning right and he has the talent to go far. Conditioning and perhaps detirmination is all that is required.
modestbiggles is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #57
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I'm sorry but you really have to be a moron to come up with a card that is close or has Woodhouse winning. It's exactly as slip says, people see an underdog/surprise performance on the horizon and start scoring as if the underdog has to do less than the favorite to win a round. He won a couple of rounds, thats about it, the rest aren't even arguable.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #58
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
I'm sorry but you really have to be a moron to come up with a card that is close or has Woodhouse winning. It's exactly as slip says, people see an underdog/surprise performance on the horizon and start scoring as if the underdog has to do less than the favorite to win a round. He won a couple of rounds, thats about it, the rest aren't even arguable.
So two professional judges (not including Uncle Dave), Jim Watt, the whole press corps (excluding Slap) and the fighter himself have got it wrong but a couple of random posters on an internet forum have it spot on....thats some standard. In reality the fight was somewhere between Terry O'Connor and Phil Edwards.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #59
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestbiggles View Post
Agreed. Get his conditioning right and he has the talent to go far. Conditioning and perhaps detirmination is all that is required.
He looked fine. The way everyone was talking you’d think he had a beer gut and had faded down the stretch. He had his best round in the twelfth. Yeah, he could do with being healthier, but the way some of you girls are talking it’s like Woodhouse wrecked Gavin and he was lucky to get the win.

He completely outclassed the guy and it seems most of the irritation comes from the fact that he didn’t blow Woodhouse through the ropes. Gavin’s just not a power puncher. He can dig, especially to the body, but it’s respectable power rather than the sort that puts people on the canvas.

Plenty of others have said it, so I might as well too. This wasn’t a close fight. Other than two rounds where Woodhouse landed the best punches, he was out-landed, out-boxed and eventually out-fought. I know we all love a bit of drama because both fighter and trainer are on here, but perhaps you should post more threads about DeGale’s pudding of a trainer and his own slack learning regime than Gavin’s.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #60
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
So two professional judges (not including Uncle Dave), Jim Watt, the whole press corps (excluding Slap) and the fighter himself have got it wrong but a couple of random posters on an internet forum have it spot on....thats some standard. In reality the fight was somewhere between Terry O'Connor and Phil Edwards.
In reality it was a very clear win for Gavin however you want to dress it up. Scoring it to Gavin by a few rounds or for Woodhouse is absolutely abysmal and giving far too much credit for meaningless pressure.
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum