Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #152
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Green Tarver RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likatiga View Post
IMO and going off tonights performance he showed that even at 42 he still has the hand speed and power (**** me especially in the left) to challenge some of the bigger names. I am not saying he will dominate but he certainly looked very impressive.
No he doesn't. There is a massive difference between fighting a Danny Green to fighting a Chad Dawson or a Steve Cunningham.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #153
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
No he doesn't. There is a massive difference between fighting a Danny Green to fighting a Chad Dawson or a Steve Cunningham.
Abso-****ing-lutely Today/Tonight proved how awful Green is If anything.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #154
Likatiga
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

You must have been watching a very different fight mate if you don't think Tarver didn't look impressive. He stalked Green for the whole fight and picked his mark superbly. He is not going to be a P4P contender but he could certainly take out a few more before hanging up the gloves.
Likatiga is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #155
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You must have been watching a very different fight mate if you don't think Tarver didn't look impressive. He stalked Green for the whole fight and picked his mark superbly. He is not going to be a P4P contender but he could certainly take out a few more before hanging up the gloves.
I don't think you get it mate. Please refer to my previous post.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #156
boxing_source
Contender
ESB Senior Member

First time Green fights a cruiserweight at the cruiserweight limit and gets exposed big time. Thank god Tarver ended this phony.
boxing_source is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #157
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing_source View Post
First time Green fights a cruiserweight at the cruiserweight limit and gets exposed big time. Thank god Tarver ended this phony.
You would hardly call 42.5 yr old career light heavy Antonio Tarver a genuine cruiserweight though.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #158
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
I agree with what you say but are you one of the people who criticise Anthony Mundine for essentially doing the same thing ?

not at all, at times i read something about Mundine & bristle to a certain extent, then a smile comes over my face & i realise what he does he does well, he generates puiblicity

mundine surrounds himself with some smart people, love them or loathe them they do their job, they manage him to retain his health & make money, responsible management

i imagine when mundine leaves the sport, he'll be the recipient of a fairly decent bank account also, people can talk of Katsidis taking on the best in the states, & good luck to him, but i dont know if hes being managed as well as Mundine, he takes a hell of a lot of punishment for what he is making ( & i have no idea what he makes)
wide_open_road is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #159
bulij
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_open_road View Post
not at all, at times i read something about Mundine & bristle to a certain extent, then a smile comes over my face & i realise what he does he does well, he generates puiblicity

mundine surrounds himself with some smart people, love them or loathe them they do their job, they manage him to retain his health & make money, responsible management

i imagine when mundine leaves the sport, he'll be the recipient of a fairly decent bank account also, people can talk of Katsidis taking on the best in the states, & good luck to him, but i dont know if hes being managed as well as Mundine, he takes a hell of a lot of punishment for what he is making ( & i have no idea what he makes)
bulij is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #160
Likatiga
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What am I missing. The bloke picked apart a champion and made him look second rate. He may not be in the Dawson (obviously) or Cunningham class (IYO) but his performance both physically and mentally was superb, whether he is 42 or not. He will certainly get oppurtunities to fight better fighters then Green. I am saying on tonights performance (IMO) he will give them a fight, he might not win but he will certainly hold his own.
Likatiga is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #161
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
What am I missing. The bloke picked apart a champion and made him look second rate. He may not be in the Dawson (obviously) or Cunningham class (IYO) but his performance both physically and mentally was superb, whether he is 42 or not. He will certainly get oppurtunities to fight better fighters then Green. I am saying on tonights performance (IMO) he will give them a fight, he might not win but he will certainly hold his own.
Cunningham at cruiser would very comfortably beat an old Tarver imo. Very comfortably.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #162
Likatiga
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Cunningham at cruiser would very comfortably beat an old Tarver imo. Very comfortably.
You maybe right mate. What about a Lebedev V Tarver fight? He only recently destroyed Jones Jnr and has Kostya in his corner. Didn't see the fight but I was told he went to school on Jones Jnr.
Likatiga is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #163
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You maybe right mate. What about a Lebedev V Tarver fight? He only recently destroyed Jones Jnr and has Kostya in his corner. Didn't see the fight but I was told he went to school on Jones Jnr.
Yes that would be a better fight for Tarver.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #164
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

I agree with Francis totally. Tarver gets schooled by the top level guys today around cruiser. Tarver would have a very tough night against lebedev ross and afolabi and get beaten by Cunningham no doubt and probably Huck too. Imo i would only squeeze Tarver into the top 10 at cruiser.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #165
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Actually Jones was very competitive and I think he was probably leading the fight until the stoppage with 10 seconds left. I still believe that Jones would've went on to win a decision against Green if the ref let it go on, Jones wasn't out like he was against Tarver, Johnson and Lebedev and would've recovered imo
lefty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum