Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #16
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: The lightweight division is there for Mitchell’s taking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook82 View Post
@vano,he didnt wink in the 2nd. he was badly buzzed in that round and prompted me to stick 20 on Murray inside the distance
I'm not sure he was badly buzzed at all. He was tagged hard no doubt, and he obviously felt the weight of the shot (the first 1 in particular). But the second time he was caught flush he winked at his corner. Jim Watt mentioned it, and so did the guy commentating for Frank's website.
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

"Kevin was suburb the weekend" Excellent stuff.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #18
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed7890 View Post
So you're reasoning is that everybody better than him is moving up in weight?
What I'm saying is that these guys are all moving up in weight which leaves the division wide open. I think JMM, Guererro and Rios all beat him handily, Soto would be closer but is still favour him. But with these guys gone, there's very much a gap in the division which Mitchell could fill.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #19
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
"Kevin was suburb the weekend" Excellent stuff.
superb I would blame the iPhone if I could
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #20
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

My Lightweight rankings right now.

Lightweight (135lbs)
World Champion: Juan Manuel Marquez (WBO) - Beat Michael Katsidis November 2010
2. Brandon Rios (WBA)
3. Robert Guerrero
4. Humberto Soto
5. Miguel Vasquez (IBF)
6. Miguel Acosta
7. Michael Katsidis
8. Urbano Antillon
9. Jorge Linares
10. Paulus Moses
11. Antonio DeMarco
12. Kevin Mitchell
13. Vincente Escobedo
14. Leonardo Zappavigna
15. John Molina

WBC title Vacant

what you gotta look at is the fact Marquez, Guererro and Soto are all 100% moving up in weight in there next fights. It means the WBO title will be left vacant and with *****s connections Mitchell will be in line for a crack at the title.

To be honest I think the way you need to look at Kevin Mitchell's future career is like this. If his head is right he will be good enough to win a world title agaisnt a lower level champion. The title fights and defences may not be agaisnt the true elite but its Kevin Mitchell so its going to be an exciting fight and fun to watch.

Eventually ***** will look for a big PPV fight, maybe in the states or they will try and fill Upton Park again. When that does happen they will need a legit world class opponent. If Kevin is on his game, and with 3-4 world title fights behind him he might have a good chance of winning especially if ***** times it right simular to Hatton vs Tysuzu.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #21
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd have him just above Antillon on them ratings as he has lost his last two (against very good opposition granted). I also think a Mitchell - Antillon fight would be a goodun for Frank to make.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #22
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
I'd have him just above Antillon on them ratings as he has lost his last two (against very good opposition granted). I also think a Mitchell - Antillon fight would be a goodun for Frank to make.
He beats Mitchell right now.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #23
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Tbh lets get this into perspective. Mitchell allowed a one dimensional come forward in straight lines accumulative European level puncher to get inside from the first round. He took a fair bit of punishment. Murray is not and never will be world class because of his limitations and unlike a guy like Rios he lacks power to help style work.

I still feel Mitchell looks vulnerable at times and his defence will never be world class and a guy like Rios won't take long to find him. Takes Mitchell out in 4 rounds i'd say. Vazquez is very underrated he's a very decent boxer who will present a whole set of different problems for Mitchell who's gone from aggressive puncher to a back foot boxer in his lightweight career.

Guerrero beats Mitchell and i've never been a big Guerrero fan but that would be a mismatch. My mate said last night ''he should fight Katsidis again but i'd take Katsidis to take him out again''. I agree i think Mitchell still wouldn't be able to stop Katsidis getting on the inside. I think Katsidis has the power Murray never had and once he gets close he will punish. Look at how Katsidis set Mitchell up for the stoppage he actually stepped of Mitchell and draw'd him into a false sense of security.

Katsidis did hurt Guerrero people tend to forget that. He still had ability to stop lower level world class fighters such as Mitchell.

For me he's done himself proud beating Murray after all the trouble's but i'd take a large chunk of them top 10 guys to beat Mitchell.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Tbh lets get this into perspective. Mitchell allowed a one dimensional come forward in straight lines accumulative European level puncher to get inside from the first round. He took a fair bit of punishment. Murray is not and never will be world class because of his limitations and unlike a guy like Rios he lacks power to help style work.

I still feel Mitchell looks vulnerable at times and his defence will never be world class and a guy like Rios won't take long to find him. Takes Mitchell out in 4 rounds i'd say. Vazquez is very underrated he's a very decent boxer who will present a whole set of different problems for Mitchell who's gone from aggressive puncher to a back foot boxer in his lightweight career.

Guerrero beats Mitchell and i've never been a big Guerrero fan but that would be a mismatch. My mate said last night ''he should fight Katsidis again but i'd take Katsidis to take him out again''. I agree i think Mitchell still wouldn't be able to stop Katsidis getting on the inside. I think Katsidis has the power Murray never had and once he gets close he will punish. Look at how Katsidis set Mitchell up for the stoppage he actually stepped of Mitchell and draw'd him into a false sense of security.

Katsidis did hurt Guerrero people tend to forget that. He still had ability to stop lower level world class fighters such as Mitchell.

For me he's done himself proud beating Murray after all the trouble's but i'd take a large chunk of them top 10 guys to beat Mitchell.
I agree, which is why the tactics moving forward for Mitchell need to be get a vacant belt and fight guys around 25-15 in the world for a year. Then maybe he can get the Katsidis rematch. Mitchell will only improves and Katsidis fall backwards in the next 1-2 years.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #25
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I agree, which is why the tactics moving forward for Mitchell need to be get a vacant belt and fight guys around 25-15 in the world for a year. Then maybe he can get the Katsidis rematch. Mitchell will only improves and Katsidis fall backwards in the next 1-2 years.
Yep that's a good call Rob. Kevin's still young and still developing under Tibbs. He's only fought at world level once really IMO. (Don't count Prescott as real world class). He still growing into the weight as well and i think what you said would be a smart way to maintain longevity and also a realistic career @ world level.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #26
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Mitchell doesn't have the chin to stand upto the punchers at 135 imo. Murray who isn't a puncher had him hurt quite a few times. Vasquez is a winnable fight for Mitchell.

Last edited by BoxingAnalyst; 07-21-2011 at 06:49 AM.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #27
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
He beats Mitchell right now.
Antillon is a much better version of John Murray.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #28
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post

That's exactly what im saying Mand. JMM, Rios and Guererro definitely beat Mitchell, as does probably Soto. But my point was, all of these guys are stepping up in weight. So we are left with guys like Vazquez, Acsota and Katsidis as potental world champions. These fighters, while still very good, are not AS good as those moving up. The lad has a great chance to put himself on the world stage now.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #29
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
That's exactly what im saying Mand. JMM, Rios and Guererro definitely beat Mitchell, as does probably Soto. But my point was, all of these guys are stepping up in weight. So we are left with guys like Vazquez, Acsota and Katsidis as potental world champions. These fighters, while still very good, are not AS good as those moving up. The lad has a great chance to put himself on the world stage now.
Oh i see where your coming from. Yeah i think what your saying along with what Rob just said makes lot more sense. Mitchell has a fair bit of work to do he needs to steer clear of these draining wars. He's still a young man and already had a fair few. If managed correctly he can make a decent run of things.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #30
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Murray doesn't have the chin to stand upto the punchers at 135 imo. Murray who isn't a puncher had him hurt quite a few times. Vasquez is a winnable fight for Mitchell.
I don't think he has a bad chin at all. He was stopped by a very hard punching Katsidis (who had Marquez on his arse). I don't recall too many other times he has been hurt badly at 135

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum