Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #61
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: The lightweight division is there for Mitchell’s taking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
You gave him the fifth at “a push”? That just sounds like bias, dude. Murray worked Kevin over in that round. And even then, you’ve hardly disproved my point. If we all agree that Mitchell took over in the sixth (although Murray still did some good work after that), then we’ve got five rounds. Even if Mitchell won three of those (which he didn’t) it’s still basically a one round fight – and pretty damn close whatever way you look at it.

Mitchell needs a lot more work technically on his balance and footwork before he steps up further. He’s got the physical ability, but he needs to refine his technique. But at 25 and lacking defence in the way he does… I can’t see him ever being world-class.
I think your picking at thoughts to much. We all do it as we are all "experts". He does allot of good things and some very very good. I agree he will never be an elite fighter but I think he will have some solid wins by the time he finishes.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #62
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Rewatch the fight on Franks website. When I did it seemed that Mitchell was dominating a lot more (maybe I got caught up with the commentator?) But I has Mitchell winning the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th and obviously the 8th, to Murray's 2nd and 5th. That's pretty much dominating. Seriously, re-watch the fight, and watch how often Murray misses when Kevin is on the ropes.
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #63
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Mate I am pretty bias towards Kev but you take it to a new level. You make Slap look like an andy lee hater.

although i had it 5-2 as well lol
fair enough. Usually I'm over critical of the boxers I want to win. Perhaps I swung too much on this 1. Still, nice scorecard
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #64
harry the haddo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

have to say I thought mitchell was the one on top from the very first round, and it was great to see him back to his old standard.
what nobody has mentioned is that mitchell came straight into the toughest possible fight after 14 months out, and following a period of personal 'turmoil'. his confidence must've been shaken by the way katsidis battered him, whilst murray had been keeping busy and must've been very confident.
can anyone see mitchell moving up to lightweight, where there would be large amounts of wonga to be earnt or is he just too small to do it successfully?
harry the haddo is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #65
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Harry, he is at lightweight. If you mean lww, then no. He's not a big lw as it is
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #66
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
fair enough. Usually I'm over critical of the boxers I want to win. Perhaps I swung too much on this 1. Still, nice scorecard
Yeah mate i scored it about the same as you did, Kevin needs to pivot a bit more and then go in with those combo`s right after hes turned his opponent. Kevins upper body movement is good defensively his footwork is good but theres too much of it (maybe if he watches morales fight with Maidana he might get the idea) Kev has got some class attributes.

Across the pond is where hype and oppotunities are to a point, ive watched Rios fights whats the big thing here??? Hes noticed cos he fights in America thats the plus that all fighters across the pond have over euro and british fighters they automatically get hailed as top dogs. Rios seems like a brawler with a punch,its obvious he`ll get found out by a boxer with a tough chin at some point.
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #67
harry the haddo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Harry, he is at lightweight. If you mean lww, then no. He's not a big lw as it is
ta - meant light welter, but that answers my question.shame coz people were even salivating over the prospect of a khan - mitchell meeting 8-10 years ago
harry the haddo is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #68
HitmanHatton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry the haddo View Post
ta - meant light welter, but that answers my question.shame coz people were even salivating over the prospect of a khan - mitchell meeting 8-10 years ago
****ing hell, Khan was still at school then!!
HitmanHatton is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #69
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
Yeah mate i scored it about the same as you did, Kevin needs to pivot a bit more and then go in with those combo`s right after hes turned his opponent. Kevins upper body movement is good defensively his footwork is good but theres too much of it (maybe if he watches morales fight with Maidana he might get the idea) Kev has got some class attributes.

Across the pond is where hype and oppotunities are to a point, ive watched Rios fights whats the big thing here??? Hes noticed cos he fights in America thats the plus that all fighters across the pond have over euro and british fighters they automatically get hailed as top dogs. Rios seems like a brawler with a punch,its obvious he`ll get found out by a boxer with a tough chin at some point.
Rios has a great offense and underrated boxing skills. The only place he is lacking is defensively and I suppose thats partly due to his agressive style.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #70
CrocodileTear

What? Acosta would knock him out. If Marquez was even half the fighter he is now, he'd still do the same. Rios would be murder, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vazquez potshotted Mitchell to a wide UD. You're massively overrating Kevin.
CrocodileTear is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #71
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
Rios has a great offense and underrated boxing skills. The only place he is lacking is defensively and I suppose thats partly due to his agressive style.
Rois has been rattled a few times, whose to say Mitchell`s left uppercut wont derail him?? I`m not saying Rios is crap but i think people are too harsh on Mitchell, look at khan now. At least Mitchell is willing to take the big fights yet seems to get stick for it and if he werent willing he`d also get stick for it(which i call the critics two edged sword)
Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #72
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
Rois has been rattled a few times, whose to say Mitchell`s left uppercut wont derail him?? I`m not saying Rios is crap but i think people are too harsh on Mitchell, look at khan now. At least Mitchell is willing to take the big fights yet seems to get stick for it and if he werent willing he`d also get stick for it(which i call the critics two edged sword)
Not likely, imho anyway
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #73
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
Not likely, imho anyway
Well we`ll see, plus i dont mind being wrong

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum