Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Papito o papi grande?
Senior on points 1 33.33%
Senior by stoppage 2 66.67%
Draw 0 0%
Junior on points 0 0%
Junior by stoppage 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Wilfredo Vazquez Sr. vs. Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.

There are a fair number of father and son tandems in boxing (many of them sharing names, with generational suffixes) but it is rare that both achieve notoriety in the same weight class...and even rarer that a h2h match-up between the two is really feasibly competitive at all on paper. Usually one or the other is the significantly greater talent. For instance, many would probably agree that a prime Julio Cesar Chavez would destroy the current version of his son and namesake despite giving up 20 pounds. At any rate, the tree is light years ahead of where the apple's fallen pound for pound.

While WV2 has not shown yet that he can rival his father in accomplishment or ability, he was impressive enough during his undefeated run to be earmarked by many as a long-reigning and/or multiple-time (possibly multiple division) champion. His loss to the supposedly shot Jorge Arce revealed only that he isn't infallible - not that he was devoid of any elite championship potential. Considering the nature of the bout - how Arce wound back the clock hands and how Vazquez responded with courage until the end - it isn't anything to be ashamed of, or to end a burgeoning career over. We likely haven't seen the last of WV2, and hopefully have yet to see the very best.

Based on what we have seen, how would you rate Jr.'s chances against his old man in a time machine? There is a sizable sampling of both at super bantamweight; most of Jr.'s career (and all of the latter and more important half) has been at or near 122, while Sr.'s glory days came during that fabulous run through the early-mid 90's - very nearly breaking into double digit defenses of his WBA championship.

Think about the styles and temperaments of each Wilfredo. How does it play out? Who comes out on top? Which Pride of the Boricuas wins this Luke and Vader match-up?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Re: Wilfredo Vazquez Sr. vs. Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.

To simplify, let's say Sr. who lost to Happy Lora vs. Jr. who lost to El Travieso. (as they were at about equal points in their career at those junctures).
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Jnr doesn't impress me that much...Good prospect, not such a bad thing he lost to Arce but at the same time it doesn't look great.

I haven't seen the Lora fight and I've only seen a bit of earlier Snr...not sure how much he improved over the years...certainly at his best several levels above his son.

Jnr isn't the technician his Dad was and to me fights sort of uncomfortably..Doesn't do anything particularly smoothly and can look a little ineffective, both defensively and offensively..Whilst being a good athletic talent, with a pretty good basic skillset...either he has been rushed a little or just can't compete at the level his Dad ripped it up at.

Maybe someone who has seen a bit more of Snr at that time can actually give a better comparison of the two versions.

Jnr could improve with time...but he isn't heaps young really and I mean he is so clearly inferior to the best his Dad could produce, I don't think he will ever get close.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Vazquez sr was at his best in the late 80s imo, the Canizales fight probably marked the end of him as a very good fighter...was never impressed with him at Featherweight, everything dropped off a few notches and he became a limited plodding fighter over-reliant on power.

he had more sucess in terms of title runs later in his career, but like i said with Zaragoza in the Lora thread, that was as much due to the competition not being as stiff.

As far as a fight with his son goes, he would probably ruin him imo.Then again even right at his peak he was vulnerable to an upset against another big puncher.Avelar and Contreras showed that, so you never know.

I don't think jr hits on their level however.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum