Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #46
Pug1list
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 100
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

He does say some stupid stuff, that is because he is thick. He isn't a bad guy.
Pug1list is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #47
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
He is nothing like him, but Kotelnik does everything that is needed, he doesnt have one standout ability, that is the comparison I was making with Carl.

Khans footwork ain't great, yes, but I wanted to make a point on his legs holding up in the Maidana fight. Prior to the conditioning he is receiving now, you'd have to agree it would be likely he would of gone down from that Maidana shot. He's improving, he'll be working to sort out these issues out with his footwork, he's not the finished article or at his peak.

Whereas Carl is at his peak, won't improve much imo from where he is right now, which is very good.

We are saying at this stage Khan and Carl are close, when one is at his peak and the other is getting there. Different levels
Khan can make a good career out of boxing by utilising his speed and by carefully selecting opponents who are vulnerable to his strengths. That isn't in doubt, he's got a world championship through doing this.

He is never going to be technically amazing, it's just a simple fact. He doesn't have the ring IQ, it's all good and well saying "he's young", he isn't, he's in his mid twenties with a world championship belt to defend. Not a 18 year old fighting journeyman to learning to master his craft. You can't make someone into something with just knowledge, there is the actual ability for the person to take in and carry out what they've learnt. If it was the other way sports would revolve around who had the best coach.
boxing4eva is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #48
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

C'mon he's not far wrong is he?

Apart from Froch who's better than Khan? I'd say he is the 2nd best.
rampant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #49
AndrewFFC
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kings Cross
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Okay, so he should say "No, I'm probably the shittest boxer in Britain right now"

Calling yourself the best has suddenly become the #1 crime in the world.


Its not something he has to say at all.

Saying you are 'way ahead' of the others is obviously to the denigration of guys such as Froch etc. Guys he isn't even in competition with.
AndrewFFC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #50
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
C'mon he's not far wrong is he?

Apart from Froch who's better than Khan? I'd say he is the 2nd best.
Haye
boxing4eva is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #51
Pug1list
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 100
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

They are boxers, they talk shit. I was watching the darts and Hatton popped up, said he was facing Manny to become to P4P #1.
Pug1list is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #52
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

he is a thick mug














with an amateur taxi driver team
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #53
Pug1list
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 100
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Are Roach/Ariza taxi drivers?
Pug1list is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #54
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug1list View Post
Are Roach/Ariza taxi drivers?
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #55
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4eva View Post
Haye
Maybe close...
rampant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #56
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
Maybe close...
How is it close?

One has won a world title at his weight.. and defended it against one or two decent opponents.

The other unified his division, then moved up above his natural weight, won a world title, defended it against an aged former 2 time champ, fought a bum, then lost over 12 rounds to one of the best heavyweights in the world...

Not really a comparison is there
boxing4eva is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #57
Clayton Bigsby
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4eva View Post
Khan can make a good career out of boxing by utilising his speed and by carefully selecting opponents who are vulnerable to his strengths. That isn't in doubt, he's got a world championship through doing this.

He is never going to be technically amazing, it's just a simple fact. He doesn't have the ring IQ, it's all good and well saying "he's young", he isn't, he's in his mid twenties with a world championship belt to defend. Not a 18 year old fighting journeyman to learning to master his craft. You can't make someone into something with just knowledge, there is the actual ability for the person to take in and carry out what they've learnt. If it was the other way sports would revolve around who had the best coach.
What about opponents that make him vulnerable to their strengths? For example, Marcos Maidana. You were one of those who predicted Khan would be laying on his back the next time he faced a big puncher. He's now facing another big puncher with some skill to match. If a weak-chinned fighter with average ability can get by people like this, then what does that say?

Manny Pacquiao was seen as sloppy and had very little technical ability at 24, too. Now look at him. I'm not, in any way, trying to say Khan is Manny Pacquiao, but there's evidence that Khan can still improve even at the age of 24. It took Roach a very long time to get Manny where he's at now. Let's just wait and see what he'll do with Khan in 2/3 years time.
Clayton Bigsby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #58
jtowen
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Failsworth, Manchester
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug1list View Post
They are boxers, they talk shit. I was watching the darts and Hatton popped up, said he was facing Manny to become to P4P #1.
he would've been at least 2nd if he'd done the impossible and beat manny
jtowen is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #59
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,577
vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Okay, so he should say "No, I'm probably the shittest boxer in Britain right now"

Calling yourself the best has suddenly become the #1 crime in the world.
Ofcourse not be he shouldn't be claiming he's miles ahead of any british fighter.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #60
Clayton Bigsby
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan: 'I am Britains best boxer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4eva View Post
How is it close?

One has won a world title at his weight.. and defended it against one or two decent opponents.

The other unified his division, then moved up above his natural weight, won a world title, defended it against an aged former 2 time champ, fought a bum, then lost over 12 rounds to one of the best heavyweights in the world...

Not really a comparison is there
It's not far off.

Haye unified a very weak division and cherry-picked a title - something you've just accused Khan of - at a higher weight, before fighting two more easy opponents and losing to the first live opponent, all be it a very good one, he faced.

Khan's stint at 140 is already better than Haye's at HW. And he's pretty keen on unifying this division - a very strong one - just like Haye unified his at cruiser. And like others have already said, all this at just 24.
Clayton Bigsby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013