Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #31
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sky Sports!!!

It makes you think though, how short sighted are Sky, they've got a talented pundit like Spencer Oliver, who is the only one who doesn't come across pro British, and they will give major role to someone like Johnny Nelson.

Anyone with two cells can see Spencer would do a better job, and would be received better by the audience.

Johnny Nelson asks questions that are laced with bias to, like the questions he asked Groves during Groves-De Gale (ringside).
gooners!! is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #32
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Overall its Brilliant!
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #33
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Overall its Brilliant!
So it no longer retains an anti-Scottish bias
gasman is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #34
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict

vCash: 756

jim watt to go by the wayside for the new season.......

and to be fair to sky they show a lot of fights that are ppv in the states for free live, ok probs due to the 4/5am start time but jim watt aside i have no qualms with sky sports....

ok id like to see charlotte jackson doing a midnight sky sports news report topless.......
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #35
spud1
HAWK TIME!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Only qualms i have with them is the lack of airtime the undercard fights get, even when they do show them they breifly show 20 seconds of each round.
spud1 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #36
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Moore's alright, can't understand people going ape shit about him though. I thought Kell Brook was one of the better boxers come pundits which surprised me.
Don't forget Matthew Hatton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyvid View Post
A weakness: Maloney's shit cards.

Which of those are going to attract more fans to the sport?
Arron-Webb is the only one I can think of, in the past few years.
McDonnell vs. Jamoye, Webb vs. Arron, Simpson vs. Smith II, Edwards vs. Edwards, Booth vs. Arthur, Lindsay vs. Simpson, Webb vs. Concepcion, Molitor vs. Booth, and Hall vs. Donnelly are some of the main events Maloney has put on this season, plus he had Munroe face Nishioka and Sykes vs. Johanneson on another promoters bill.

Last season he had Moore vs. Rhodes, Hall vs. Power, Fury vs. McDermott I + II, Munroe vs. Terrazas, Concepcion vs Hammond I + II, Booth vs. Marsh, Napa vs. McDonnell, Booth vs. Hunter...This season he already has McDonnell vs. Hall, Booth vs. Quigg and Price vs. McDermott lined up...
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #37
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Don't forget Matthew Hatton

McDonnell vs. Jamoye, Webb vs. Arron, Simpson vs. Smith II, Edwards vs. Edwards, Booth vs. Arthur, Lindsay vs. Simpson, Webb vs. Concepcion, Molitor vs. Booth, and Hall vs. Donnelly are some of the main events Maloney has put on this season, plus he had Munroe face Nishioka and Sykes vs. Johanneson on another promoters bill.

Last season he had Moore vs. Rhodes, Hall vs. Power, Fury vs. McDermott I + II, Munroe vs. Terrazas, Concepcion vs Hammond I + II, Booth vs. Marsh, Napa vs. McDonnell, Booth vs. Hunter...This season he already has McDonnell vs. Hall, Booth vs. Quigg and Price vs. McDermott lined up...
Kos you really do nuthug the garden knome - btw how many of those shows had a good under card? Concepcion v Hammond, Booth v Hunter, Hall v Donnelly, McDonnell v Jamoye are hardly stand out main events either....
gasman is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #38
JukeboxTimebomb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Show more world class boxing.
JukeboxTimebomb is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #39
sg85
Bang on the chan
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole View Post
Do we really want boxing to appeal to the masses? The "masses" equals armchair fans who are happy to be fed a diet of shit like Haye v Harrisson. Certain people in the industry will exploit the guillability of casual fans and we will be presented with a string of overhyped bollocks.

A bit like now only much worse. I'm happy to keep boxing as a minority sport, it means there's less chance of real fans being priced out of things.

Anyway if anybody wants to watch more boxing than is currently on TV then how about going to an actual boxing show?
Whilst i understand the general public as well as the hardcore fans have been burned somewhat in recent times with the overhyped PPV's / mismatched fights etc, IMO you wont get more fans interested in the sport if you still dont show enough of it on a regular basis.

Everyone starts off as a casual fan, but surely its down to the broadcasters to ensure the promoters are putting on events that are worthy of their broadcasting time to make sure that the casuals keep an interest in the fight. Case in point, Khan. ****ed himself up by going to primetime for his last fight, now its like he's fallen off the face of the earth cuz Sky sports dont care to talk about him and the casuals barely know he's fighting this weekend (never mind who).

Im not complaining about the sky on the whole because as previously mentioned, the return of ringside was fantastic to say the least, the change to sat fight nights were for the better imo, i just purely think to keep people interested in the sport it needs to be more than the 1-2 'big' fights every few months or so and a couple of sentances on the ticker on SSN.
sg85 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #40
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Kos you really do nuthug the garden knome - btw how many of those shows had a good under card? Concepcion v Hammond, Booth v Hunter, Hall v Donnelly, McDonnell v Jamoye are hardly stand out main events either....
I like him, mainly because he's the only promoter that puts on decent shows in the North-East. I wouldn't say that I overly like him, but I do stick up for him on here (perhaps too much, hence why I'm being called a nuthugger here ) when I think he's getting unnecessary criticism.

Concepcion vs. Hammond I + II were both undercard fights, and I think you're being harsh on Booth vs. Hunter and McDonnell vs. Jamoye, the former being a well anticipated fight which resulted in a great performance from Booth, and the latter producing a fantastic fight. Hall vs. Donnelly I'll give you though

I'm not going to go into the undercards too much, but I do think that people just look at his heavyweight match-ups - which is fine, because they're the ones Sky pick - and come to the conclusion that Maloney puts on shit undercards (with recent match-ups like Price-Dallas and Dallas-Page being the exception).

Despite that, he does put on decent undercards most of the time. Ochieng-Cameron was a great little match-up, as was Place-Grant. Hill-Samuels, Dallas-Page, Rose-Welsh and Bhatia-Jones were all on the same card, plus it was topped by Webb-Arron!

He also puts on some duds and card fillers, but for the most-part, I think Maloney's shows are decent. They're not world-beaters by any means, yet the shows aren't exactly left in the wake by those that Matchroom, Hatton Promotions etc. put on. However, Maloney gets a lot more criticism than them by some people on here, which I think is unfair.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #41
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I like Jamie Moore but people are going over board about him.

Personally I have always rated Nelson and McGuigan is class. thank **** they got rid of Piper.

The reason Nelson has got the gig as the main pundit is because he can also present.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #42
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg85 View Post
IMO you wont get more fans interested in the sport if you still dont show enough of it on a regular basis.
I don't see why we need more fans interested on the sport. If the average casual fan doesn't know Khan's fighting Zab Judah tomorrow night, why should we worry?

Decent boxing is not the right of the casual fan, and nor should it be in my opinion. Anyway, Khan v Judah may not have been hyped much, but it's not a secret either. My girlfriend is barely more than a casual fan but she knew it was on and asked me if we should get the PPV. If casual fans want to be more interested in the sport, they should make the effort themselves.

Anyway, we've got Chisora v Fury on Channel 5 tomorrow, that's far more mainstream than we're used to.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #43
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Do we really want boxing to appeal to the masses? The "masses" equals armchair fans who are happy to be fed a diet of shit like Haye v Harrisson. Certain people in the industry will exploit the guillability of casual fans and we will be presented with a string of overhyped bollocks.

A bit like now only much worse. I'm happy to keep boxing as a minority sport, it means there's less chance of real fans being priced out of things.

Anyway if anybody wants to watch more boxing than is currently on TV then how about going to an actual boxing show?

I dont think its only about living for today though, they should be thinking about the future, cause if they alienate the next generation of fans cause they allowed Haye to fight someone like Harrison on PPV, then...........

I would say short terms gains are just that, only in the long run, it will even itself out with how many fans you deter.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #44
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I like Jamie Moore but people are going over board about him.

Personally I have always rated Nelson and McGuigan is class. thank **** they got rid of Piper.

The reason Nelson has got the gig as the main pundit is because he can also present.
I agree with you on Moore and McGuigan.

I have said many times that Nelson is fine in the studio doing Ringside and visiting the gyms for the recorded pieces. But, as a pundit on fight night, he is truly awful, as is McCrory. They appear to do very little homework on the fighters and come out with lazy, cliche-ridden babble. The only time I remember Nelson actually say anything interesting was a few months ago when he gave some good insights into a Sheffield-based prospect (forget the name of the boxer), but he should be providing that level of rich analysis every week.

Nelson and McCrory doing the Haye-Vlad fight tactics roleplay in Hamburg was embarrassingly poor, Jaysus they were a right state.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #45
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

Tris Dixon was good when they got him in for one of the American fights in the early hours would be nice to see somebody like him get a bit more time. Somebody without an agenda who is articulate and well schooled on all parts of the game.
wrimc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum