mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fitzsimmons Corbet II, the rematch

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Who would have won?
I haven't seen any footage of either of these men to provide a very informed response. My only offering, is that given Fitz won the first fight, he would have to be favored if they met again. Bob was still a very dangerous puncher from what I read of his fights with Jeffries. He actually hurt James pretty badly despite being past his prime. Prior to rematching Jeff, Bob put together a string of wins, and knocked out a few good fighters, before re-entering the ring with the champ.

Again, I have no clue what these guys looked like on film, but if written history has any meaning, then I'd pick Bob.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Pete47
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hard to pick a winner.Jim Corbett was rather good in the first fight. Gentleman Jim had good technique and footwork. Fitzsimmons was floored in the sixth round. I am not sure whether Bob could score such a knock out - punch in a second fight. In my opinion Corbett would be the favourite.
Pete47 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Corbett knocks Fitz out in a rematch. Fitz was hopelessly outmatched by Corbett's speed in the early rounds at Carson City, and admitted as much in his dressing room after winning the title. (Perhaps this was what he had in mind, when he vowed to Corbett in the ring after their bout that, "I'll never fight you again, and if you ever hit me again, I'll shoot you!")

To a certain extent, Fitz did have some element of surprise in his favor when he took the championship away. But it must be remembered that Corbett was over three years younger than the Cornishman, and had his first match with Jeffries more than three years in the future. Corbett would have taken a rematch, and also a rubber bout, had there been one.

If Corbett had regained the title from Jeff in Brooklyn, I have little doubt that he would have used it to lure Fitz into a rematch, probably in San Francisco.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

corbett by decision. he wouldnt get so careless this time when he had the fight in the bag. too good of a boxer for fitz
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

i feel for corbett............

the only one to fight a near prime peter jackson and actually battles the man to a 61 round draw.

when past his prime dominates fitz(knocks him down gets robbed by fitz holding on to him getting a long count) and then gets caught by a sucker body punch.

rusty and old, he boxes ATG jeffries ears off for 23 rounds only to get caught.

if not for these jeffries and fitz debacles, hes top 10-15 all time

Last edited by mike; 10-25-2006 at 08:37 AM.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Greg T Loepp

Corbett wanted this rematch very much, Fitz did not...I think Corbett wins the rematch by wide decision.
Greg T Loepp is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Corbett knocks Fitz out in a rematch. Fitz was hopelessly outmatched by Corbett's speed in the early rounds at Carson City, and admitted as much in his dressing room after winning the title.
While Corbett certainly had the better of the early rounds I dont think that Fitzsimmons just got lucky. I think that he came with a well thought out fight plan to wear Corbett down and stop him late and that it worked.

To that extent we have to consider that Fitz might be able to repeat the feat though I would not be surprized if Corbett had his revenge.

I will say in favour of Fitz that Corbett was a verry bad style match for him.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fitz by late KO, yet again. Bottom line is that Corbett was a wonderful points fighter who could give anyone trouble with his speed and footwork and clinching, but the bottom line is that in a fight to the finish, guys like Fitz and Jeffries and Sharkey catch up with him every time.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
While Corbett certainly had the better of the early rounds I dont think that Fitzsimmons just got lucky. I think that he came with a well thought out fight plan to wear Corbett down and stop him late and that it worked.
Absolutely, and it bears pointing out that the final blow was not the first solar plexus punch Fitz landed in that fight. Earlier in the bout Fitz "hit 'im in the slats!" (as his wife kept yelling to him), and while Corbett tried to disguise the damage with some quick punches and fancy footwork, Bill Brady saw what was happening, grabbed a bottle of whiskey, and started slugging it down.
Quote:
To that extent we have to consider that Fitz might be able to repeat the feat though I would not be surprized if Corbett had his revenge.

I will say in favour of Fitz that Corbett was a verry bad style match for him.
While Fitz ultimately won, Corbett had proved he could hurt and floor him, and I expect he would have been fully prepared for the body attack Fitz would have attempted in a rematch.

As noted as Jeffries was for his own left downstairs, his body attack was not the deciding factor in his first contest with Corbett, suggesting to me that Gentleman Jim may have adapted accordingly in a return with Fitz.
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum