Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
goldmill78

vCash: 500
Cool Creatine and Whey Protein

Hi
Training for a White Collar bout, training going well,but was considering using Whey Protein and Creatine to boost performance. I am 215 pounds but want to drop another 7/8 lbs. I used to use Whey protein when lifting weights, though will it be effective for boxing
Any advice would be great!!
goldmill78 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Creatine and Whey Protein

I wouldn't if you are trying to drop weight friendo!
But you can, if you reduce your calories from some other area.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Dish
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

are you, for some strange reason, not getting enough protein in your diet??

Whey protein and creatine are for building muscle. Boxing, at your level, is about conditioning and skills. Drop the muscle milk. If you are having energy problems, maybe add more carbs to your diet.
Dish is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Rain
Dem Outta Luck Now

Please correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that creatine itself doesnt build muscle. I always thought that creatine replenished the ATP-PC system, giving you more energy to complete more sets????
Rain is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Please correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that creatine itself doesnt build muscle. I always thought that creatine replenished the ATP-PC system, giving you more energy to complete more sets????
You're right. But so is Dish in that creatine=more reps=muscle hypertrophy and so forth. Creatine helps with the anaerobic energy system. Creatine will not have a huge effect in a sport such as boxing. If one were to compete in a strongman competition, creatine would be very helpful.

I think that it cannot hurt to use whey protein, however, the majority of calories from athletes should be from carbs. Look into appropriate carbohydrates and fats before you do protein.

Goldmill, if you are trying to drop another 7/8 lbs, and have 6 weeks to do it, do the math and eat sensibly. If it takes 3500 calories to either gain or lose a lb, then cut out 500 calories daily from your diet daily, or mixture of calories and burning calories through cardio. Just make sure that energy levels don't decline. I don't think that a protein shake, which is low in calories typically, should be a problem
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Rain
Dem Outta Luck Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonLPC View Post
You're right. But so is Dish in that creatine=more reps=muscle hypertrophy and so forth. Creatine helps with the anaerobic energy system. Creatine will not have a huge effect in a sport such as boxing. If one were to compete in a strongman competition, creatine would be very helpful.

I think that it cannot hurt to use whey protein, however, the majority of calories from athletes should be from carbs. Look into appropriate carbohydrates and fats before you do protein.

Goldmill, if you are trying to drop another 7/8 lbs, and have 6 weeks to do it, do the math and eat sensibly. If it takes 3500 calories to either gain or lose a lb, then cut out 500 calories daily from your diet daily, or mixture of calories and burning calories through cardio. Just make sure that energy levels don't decline. I don't think that a protein shake, which is low in calories typically, should be a problem
Thanks for clearing that up... I think I misinterpretted slightly... Thanks
Rain is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
You are correct, creatine however MIGHT help you hold onto a bit more water weight (useful for training purposes but not in a period of dropping weight really), as well as the things you just said.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
creatine however MIGHT help you hold onto a bit more water weight
This.
Not even 'might,' it most likely will. You won't be dropping much weight on the scale if you start using it since you'll be retaining more water in your muscles.

Unless you're not eating properly there's no need for either of them anyway. Only time I use whey shakes is if by the end of the day I don't hit my macros and need something that's mostly protein to reach my daily amount. Don't get caught up in all the hype of the supplement world.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
goldmill78

Great advice
, have shaved off 4 lbs and feel strong, so I think Ill give the supps a miss!! Great advice Thanks
goldmill78 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing