Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default When to eat what?

Hi guys, I'm going to start training again soon for the remainder of my summer, and I've been wondering certain things about nutrition. I've looked at the sticky thread, but I'm still kind of unclear as to when is best to eat what types of foods. I always get caught up between trying to eat sometime before a workout for energy, and then trying to eat sometime after for recovery; not being full but not being empty proves a difficult balance. I also find it weird to go running on an empty stomach, but would rather not eat on a full stomach, either.

When is it best to eat certain types of foods (carbs, proteins), and in what quantities? Thanks a lot.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
zishan

vCash: 500
Default Re: When to eat what?

I can give you some things that I found were pretty awsome! Nutrition and Quantities in link! 1. PASTA OR RICE GREAT CARBS! i think its the best and easiest to eat... something that actually im alright with taking a few days straight before i mix it up.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I was watching a tim bradley video, so he claims he goes on a vegan diet because for him its the fastest way to lose weight, and cleanest for the body and gives him good energy he had a dish called tempeh ill show you the nutrition charts also!

166 grams serving size! with 31 grams of protein!

cottage cheese is great source of protein! Wheats are great for carbs too, so im brown so i eat a lot naan... but its easy carbs and taste great too! ill post a link.
even toast is good dont forget peanut butter or jelly... in a controlled amount it can great! just dont have 2 many to often!

honestly for me, what I used for recovery and its awsome for energy is too have a electrolyte drinks! something like a gatorade or powerade those are some electrolyte drinks that are easy get ur hands on! sometimes when im 2 lazy eat something before i on my runs and sometimes i dont wanna eat until after my run i grab a banana and a glass chocolate milk, sometimes i use those 2 after my run and eat later! great carbs.

its 3:50 am... so i hope i sorta helped you out lmao
goodluck on your goals!
zishan is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zishan View Post
I can give you some things that I found were pretty awsome! Nutrition and Quantities in link! 1. PASTA OR RICE GREAT CARBS! i think its the best and easiest to eat... something that actually im alright with taking a few days straight before i mix it up.

I was watching a tim bradley video, so he claims he goes on a vegan diet because for him its the fastest way to lose weight, and cleanest for the body and gives him good energy he had a dish called tempeh ill show you the nutrition charts also!

166 grams serving size! with 31 grams of protein!

cottage cheese is great source of protein! Wheats are great for carbs too, so im brown so i eat a lot naan... but its easy carbs and taste great too! ill post a link.
even toast is good dont forget peanut butter or jelly... in a controlled amount it can great! just dont have 2 many to often!

honestly for me, what I used for recovery and its awsome for energy is too have a electrolyte drinks! something like a gatorade or powerade those are some electrolyte drinks that are easy get ur hands on! sometimes when im 2 lazy eat something before i on my runs and sometimes i dont wanna eat until after my run i grab a banana and a glass chocolate milk, sometimes i use those 2 after my run and eat later! great carbs.

its 3:50 am... so i hope i sorta helped you out lmao
goodluck on your goals!

Much appreciated, thank you!
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

i actually stay away pasta and carbs as much as possible six days a week. there is one meal a week where i will chow down on a meatball sub or spaghetti. my prework drink includes a lot of sugar. forty pounds and three months and i love my meals. i try to have a big variety of food during the meal periods. no snaking between meals.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
i actually stay away pasta and carbs as much as possible six days a week. there is one meal a week where i will chow down on a meatball sub or spaghetti. my prework drink includes a lot of sugar. forty pounds and three months and i love my meals. i try to have a big variety of food during the meal periods. no snaking between meals.
So instead of carbs, you incorporate sugars beforehand? What kind? What about proteins after a workout (for recovery)? That's the general advice given, if I'm not mistaken
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Olympicdettori

vCash:

Protein after a workout is more important... protein before a workout too is better.

Protein after a workout is important... protein directly after a workout is better.

Eat slow food to avoid putting on weight.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Not a joke, but 16oz of chocolate milk 15 minutes after your workout. There is a lot of research on this. It has the perfect protein/fat/carb ratio. Much better than gatorade, powerade, and so forth.

To answer your question, while some protein is important, carbs are king for athletes. Do some research of your own as to what type of carbs.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Olympicdettori

vCash:

BORKED
Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Olympicdettori

vCash:

"Because glucose is the preferred energy source for most exercise, a pre-exercise meal should include foods that are high in carbohydrates and easy to digest. This include foods such as pasta, fruits, breads, energy bars and drinks. However, you would need to let this food digest before working out which may take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. Go with the fruits, they are the easiest to digest".
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344

I never eat 5 hours before a workout. Especially if I'm going to go to the boxing gym that day. Body shots and a full stomach don't mix well.

In fact, I usually never eat until I've done my workout for the day. Or if I don't plan on working out one day then I just eat right when I wake up. If you work out within less than 4 hours of eating your body will actually have LESS energy because of the digestion process that it's going through.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
SupraTT24
Heart Of A Champion
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

If your not doin a whole lot for about 3 hours, keep it real like. If ya know ur headin to the gym in a few hours, eat around 500 cals. do ur routine, when ur done drink some milk or gatorade. When you eat really what your doin is is fuelin for the next 3 or 4 hours. think of it that way n it should be easy for you to plan accordingly throughout the day
SupraTT24 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
red boy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I normally eat pasta or a sandwhich about four pm and have a banana about 5 then train at 730.

After training I will eat some chicken and salad and stay away from carbs.
red boy is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Great responses guys, thank you.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 AM   #14
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockNapalm View Post
I never eat 5 hours before a workout. Especially if I'm going to go to the boxing gym that day. Body shots and a full stomach don't mix well.

In fact, I usually never eat until I've done my workout for the day. Or if I don't plan on working out one day then I just eat right when I wake up. If you work out within less than 4 hours of eating your body will actually have LESS energy because of the digestion process that it's going through.
5 hours is a bit extreme. if you're fighting too that's not good for your stomach muscles since that's the first place that you'll lose reserves.

to the thread starter - if you're in shape and a gym rat to begin with you can pretty much tailor your own diet with quite a lot of flexibility. but as a guide, i'd say these are important to settng any sort of diet....

1. don't 'punish' yourself. meaning, enjoy what you eat.
the biggest mistake people can make is setting a stringent diet where
you end up fantasizing about other foods.
if there's something you really want to eat, eat it. just do it before
noon so you can burn it off.

2. train hard . i find the harder i get immersed in training the stronger i
i am sticking to a diet and doing everything right.

3. if you're in shape and training hard, you'll naturally enjoy healthy habits
anyway. people usually get sloppy with their eating if they aren't
exercising because they aren't happy with themselves.
if your body is happy, you will be too, and it'll all fall into place
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing