Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 129
Default How highly regarded is Tommy Bell?

The man Robinson beat for the vacant welterweight title? Evewrything I've read states that he gave SRR quite a fight....He also fought LaMotta and Gavilan among others.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How highly regarded is Tommy Bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
The man Robinson beat for the vacant welterweight title? Evewrything I've read states that he gave SRR quite a fight....He also fought LaMotta and Gavilan among others.
I was ringside at the old Garden with my dad for the Robinson fight.

Bell was no slouch -- a few inches shorter than SRR, but a mirror image style-wise: a stand-up boxer/puncher.

He fought with hands high and a tighter stance. Robinson's guard was lower and he was turned slightly to the side, in a concession to defense, but his stance was wider and gave him more leverage.

They dueled on pretty even terms for 15 rounds, but to me, Robinson's punches had more authority and his combinations were like the repeated crack of a bullwhip.

Some thought Robinson lost; it was that close. Bell dropped Robby in the second round with left hooks. Tommy hit the canvas in the 11th, and was almost stopped in the 12th.

Bell was a helluva fighter. But for those who race to BoxRec for an opinion, all the L's won't convince them, but he was never the same after Robinson.

Last edited by john garfield; 12-08-2007 at 04:54 PM.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 129
Default Re: How highly regarded is Tommy Bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
I was ringside at the old Garden with my dad for the Robinson fight.

Bell was no slouch -- a few inches shorter than SRR, but a mirror image style-wise: a stand-up boxer/puncher.

He fought with hands high and a tighter stance. Robinson's guard was lower and he was turned slightly to the side, in a concession to defense, but his stance was wider and gave him more leverage.

They dueled on pretty even terms for 15 rounds, but to me, Robinson's punches had more authority and his combinations were like the repeated crack of a bullwhip.

Some thought Robinson lost; it was that close. Bell dropped Robby in the second round with left hooks. Tommy hit the canvas in the 11th, and was almost stopped in the 12th.

Bell was a helluva fighter. But for those who race to BoxRec for an opinion, all the L's won't convince them, but he was never the same after Robinson.
John Garfield,
I always enjoy your recollections of SRR. If you don't mind me asking...What makes Robinson, one of your favorites?
For me...It's an acknowledgement and appreciation of an artist with boxing gloves on...The work and talent involved to perform the way he did...for such a long time. That is what is incredible to me...his longevity. He was a sportsman who perfected his craft and gave his all to the profession.
Any more stories would be appreciated!
dpw417 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum