Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #16
app80

vCash:
Default Re: What do judges look for...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Voice View Post
His intros appeared to be OK, didn't bother with decision announcements. I focused on Brown's cut...whether accidental head clash or punch? After viewing frame by frame a few times, it was from a punch.
I'll view the whole show for Go to O as soon as I get a chance.
Intros ok? Did you not hear Billys intro? God of Greenacre, prince of punchbowl, count of montifisto, terminator of tripoli, **** me he had 20 of the pearlers he just rattled off, that was just for Billy walking to the ring, had to go through them all again for the actual intro.

Then the kicker - introducing Jorge Lacierva as a "4 time" world champion
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #17
Da Voice
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by app80 View Post
Intros ok? Did you not hear Billys intro? God of Greenacre, prince of punchbowl, count of montifisto, terminator of tripoli, **** me he had 20 of the pearlers he just rattled off, that was just for Billy walking to the ring, had to go through them all again for the actual intro.

Then the kicker - introducing Jorge Lacierva as a "4 time" world champion
I'm talking about this show [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Da Voice is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
app80

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Voice View Post
I'm talking about this show [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
Ben K
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Not sure why all the hate for Perry Cale. He is a great bloke and the Best ring Announcer in this country by a long way.

With the initual question.
I cant speak for all judges but i know myself, i look for clean scoring punches, the guy who lands the most will normally win the round. Obviously a jab isnt going to be worth the same as a right cross so thats were diffrences of opinion will come into it.
I know myself when at the end of the round im thinking that round was super close in punches landed, I start factoring in did one guy hurt the other in the round, who controlled the pace of the round. i wont give a 10-10 round so i will find a winner.
Ben K is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
Da Voice
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No hate for him here mate. But I tend to get pissed off no end when people sitting around the ring appear to be totally distanced from what's happening in the ring. Don't like corporate tables in vicinity either, who do the same, but unfortunately one can't do much about them. At times I wonder why some even bother attending?

Last edited by Da Voice; 08-10-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Da Voice is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben K View Post
Not sure why all the hate for Perry Cale. He is a great bloke and the Best ring Announcer in this country by a long way.

I cant speak for all judges but i know myself, i look for clean scoring punches, the guy who lands the most will normally win the round. Obviously a jab isnt going to be worth the same as a right cross so thats were diffrences of opinion will come into it.
I know myself when at the end of the round im thinking that round was super close in punches landed, I start factoring in did one guy hurt the other in the round, who controlled the pace of the round. i wont give a 10-10 round so i will find a winner.
And that just gives further proof that besides the integrity factor, you judges dont read from the same hymn sheet. Your criteria is different to other judges...one judge told me a jab is
worth the same as the hardest left hook.

You arent even sure of your own criteria...using the phrase "normally will win the round". I know what you mean, but this is the point.....you cant even give a definitive explanation of how to score a round. What hope has a fighter or fan got in following your judgement?

And another thing....if you admit that not all judges use the same scoring criteria....ever think it might be an idea to go and tell the fighter beforehand about what you guys will reward and
ignore? You know...it might just help. But then again, it might confuse the guy....you tell him one thing and the other two judges tell him something different.

I know scoring is a subjective thing but geez, can you guys atleast use the same friggin criteria across the board, in all fights, on all occassions. ALL of you.

End rant.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
app80

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
And that just gives further proof that besides the integrity factor, you judges dont read from the same hymn sheet. Your criteria is different to other judges...one judge told me a jab is

You arent even sure of your own criteria...using the phrase "normally will win the round". I know what you mean, but this is the point.....you cant even give a definitive explanation of how to score a round. What hope has a fighter or fan got in following your judgement?

And another thing....if you admit that not all judges use the same scoring criteria....ever think it might be an idea to go and tell the fighter beforehand about what you guys will reward and
ignore? You know...it might just help. But then again, it might confuse the guy....you tell him one thing and the other two judges tell him something different.

I know scoring is a subjective thing but geez, can you guys atleast use the same friggin criteria across the board, in all fights, on all occassions. ALL of you.

End rant.
If a fight is mainly foguht in one corner two of the judges could have an obscured view of things, then I could understand scoring differences... but take Pac v Marquez (first fight) as an example, two have it 115-110 opoosite ways, and one has it a draw... wtf?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #23
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

End rant.

And in the words of James 'Buddy' McGirt - "That's beautiful baby, just beautiful!"
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #24
htmonaro
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

My 2 cents,I think the judges should be working just as hard as the fighters in a sence that,no disruptions for them during the round,conversations,interviews or card girl action,They should have to mark each min of the round out of 10(To stop rounds being stolen at the last 10 sec)and those three totals are tallied to determine the rounds out come.
htmonaro is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If a fight is mainly foguht in one corner two of the judges could have an obscured view of things, then I could understand scoring differences... but take Pac v Marquez (first fight) as an example, two have it 115-110 opoosite ways, and one has it a draw... wtf?
In fights longer than 4 rds, that is the biggest load of crap i read in trying to explain different score cards.

That premise assumes the fighters stand still and dont move around the ring. For a period of a round, one judge might have an obscured view, but it would balancd itself out over the course of a fight where each judge had the same amount of obscurity. Let me ask this...in a 12 round fight, 36 minutes of action....do you think a judge had his vision obscured to the point where his scorecard ends up different to the other two judges based on that premise alone?

Ive watched countless fights from the red or blue corner and not once have i not mentally scored a round because my vision was impaired by the positioning of the fighters.

Its a lame argument and a cop out.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
app80

vCash:

Quote:
In fights longer than 4 rds, that is the biggest load of crap i read in trying to explain different score cards.

That premise assumes the fighters stand still and dont move around the ring. For a period of a round, one judge might have an obscured view, but it would balancd itself out over the course of a fight where each judge had the same amount of obscurity. Let me ask this...in a 12 round fight, 36 minutes of action....do you think a judge had his vision obscured to the point where his scorecard ends up different to the other two judges based on that premise alone?

Ive watched countless fights from the red or blue corner and not once have i not mentally scored a round because my vision was impaired by the positioning of the fighters.

Its a lame argument and a cop out.
Each round can be scored differently depending on what corner they decide to fight in (i.e Fenech v Nelson). Not lame, or a cop out
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #27
Sydney Smutt
Tits ooot
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben K View Post

This is pretty much what most judges that work at international level have been trained to look for and how they score...
Sydney Smutt is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
Sydney Smutt
Tits ooot
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

End rant.
Brilliant, could not agree more
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
Sydney Smutt
Tits ooot
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

End rant.
I think what he is talking about here is for when a fighter is knocked down in a round - that is going to lead to changes as to the who landed the most punches criteria to some extent, you may be taking this point a little too literally?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #30
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Each round can be scored differently depending on what corner they decide to fight in (i.e Fenech v Nelson). Not lame, or a cop out
So fighters pick a corner to fight in?

Anyway...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum