Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Won/Loss records and greatness

Something John Garfield said on the Tommy Bell thread made me think about this idea. To what degree do you hold losses early or late or even the odd setback in a fighters prime against that fighter? You can make the argument that in the older days, fighters were forced to fight better opposition, so the occasional loss shouldn't really be held against some of these guys. Today, a glossy record means so much more. The lone exception I can think of in the present day (well, almost present since he retired recently) is Gatti. Win or lose he was always going to get another good HBO payday because of his exciting style. But thats about it. Fighters seem to take the easy track these days because its so much easier to do that now, but the nearsighted fans will look at the record of an older figthter and disregard what he did because they see more than one or two losses on their record. This frustrates me more than anything else about young fans these days. They assume todays standard and ways of doing things has always been the way it is now, and have no idea that it used to be a lot tougher to get to the top.
zippy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Won/Loss records and greatness

On second thought, never mind. This states the obvious I guess.
zippy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum