Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
usarmy6440
All day everyday BEASt

vCash: 500
Default How do you become a better body puncher

in amateurs everyone is mostly head hunters but how do you become a good body puncher and what techniques to use to set up and stuff that would help me improve my game
usarmy6440 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430
Default Re: How do you become a better body puncher

Sit down.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Start punching people in the body.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

silly as it sounds, start punching your opponent in the body. Body punches dont normaly score in amateur boxing though, thats why most amateurs go for the head with staright punches, thats the best scoring punch
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Body punches dont normaly score in amateur boxing though
and where did you get this from? Ofcourse body shots score in amature boxing. The ones that dont score are because they not too visible if your opponent has his bac to the judges hence blocking their view of the shot
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Start hitting people in the body hard and frequently. The effects are addictive and you'll get better at it because you'll practice it more because it works.

Set them up simple: Get them used to the 3 or 2 upstairs and then drop it downstairs and see how that makes them feel. You'll find all sorts of tricky ways to get people but when you're first starting out this is about as complicated as you want to go.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
and where did you get this from? Ofcourse body shots score in amature boxing. The ones that dont score are because they not too visible if your opponent has his bac to the judges hence blocking their view of the shot

I know this from experience, in the AIBA in australia they hardly ever score body punches. They only really score straight punches to the face/head.
I have experienced this in my fights and have seen it many times while watching fights. My coach even said to me in one fight dont bother punching to the body because they dont score.
I have also seen in fights if the boxer had shit technique and was bowling punches the judges would not score punches because of shit technique, and no i am not kidding. Some judges are kunts
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
You kinda contradicted yourself, and explained why they aren't scored. Since the judges are on every side of the ring, and you need at least 3 of 5 to hit their button a lot of the time body shots aren't scored because not enough judges had a clear view.

I'm a heavy body puncher, and I've lost three separate times by a single point in computer scoring where if they were scoring my body punching I would've beat the guy easily. But since the scoring system is gay I lost even though I actually landed more punches. But since three of five judges didn't see a lot of my body shots they didn't count.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Even if they aren't being scored though, keep throwing them. Use it to set set up head shots by mixing up your punches head and body.

You can also hurt guys and tire them out. I had a fight last weekend vs the toughest guy I ever fought. I hit hard but he just walked through my shots. The only time I hurt him was with a left hook to the body.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

Quote:
No, Official ABA scoring doesnt usually score body shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawla View Post
I know this from experience, in the AIBA in australia they hardly ever score body punches. They only really score straight punches to the face/head.
I have experienced this in my fights and have seen it many times while watching fights. My coach even said to me in one fight dont bother punching to the body because they dont score.
I have also seen in fights if the boxer had shit technique and was bowling punches the judges would not score punches because of shit technique, and no i am not kidding. Some judges are kunts
Same in the ABA. The target area, however, allows body shots, but rarely scores them simply because a clean punch is normally seen to knock an oppenents head back, which a clean body shot doesnt always have a sign that it landed. They are scored, but as stated, its extremly rare for them to do so, in championship level bouts. Club shows are normally more forgiving.

Also to the TC, your footwork believe it or not will help you the most, if you can dig your feet in and stick leverage into your shots.
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
Scott Bolinger
Journeyman

basically you would use your jab or jab cross to set up your body shots and drill the combination set or sets on a regular basses to get that combo automatic
Scott Bolinger is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Set ups and complete and serene acceptance that you WILL get hit in your face occasionally.

Once you can say, "Oops. I am going to get hit in my face. Oh well.", compensate, and roll with it? You can work the body effectively.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

try throwing punches to his head, when his hands come up to block them shots, drop down to the body and dont stop punching, then when his hands come back down, then bang to the head again + look at how the fighter holds his guard, if one of his hands are too high up throw to the body on that side, if it lands double it or tripple it up, when his hands come down theres your change again like i explained earlier
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
try throwing punches to his head, when his hands come up to block them shots, drop down to the body and dont stop punching, then when his hands come back down, then bang to the head again + look at how the fighter holds his guard, if one of his hands are too high up throw to the body on that side, if it lands double it or tripple it up, when his hands come down theres your change again like i explained earlier
Watch a lot of boxing, do ya
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #15
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Watch a lot of boxing, do ya
Nah one of our trainers is always going on about it, half the time your too nackered for it though
Fredd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing