Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Jordan_Davies
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 8070
Default Should Brooks challenge for the WBA title?

Viacheslav Senchenko is 31 - 0 (20) and i dont know much about him apart from him being the WBA champ, but with Berto fighting Zaveck for the IBF, Ortiz - Mayweather for the WBC and Pac holding the WBO, Should Brooks go down this route seeming as he is the WBA inter continental belt holder rather than waiting for a pay day against Khan?

If he can deal with Jackiewicz then surely he should go for a belt before Khan moves up seeming as it would be extra leverage to make a khan fight
Jordan_Davies is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
kasabian19
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Brooks challenge for the WBA title?

Who's Brooks?
kasabian19 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

He shouldnt wait on khan coz imo he'll maybe get handed his ass
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Moe Greene

vCash:

Bruno Brooks?!? He had a brain tumour or whatnot last time I heard, never much of a boxer anyway.

I know Senchenko is crap, but I imagine he'd deal with Brooks handily.

Kell Brook on the other hand, would beat Senchenko, probably the worst 'title holder' in history, pretty well.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think Brook would dominate him, so yeah, let's get the fight made.

After that there could be an opportunity at the Berto/Zaveck winner. I was gonna say that it's not a foregone conclusion that Berto wins this but then again......

It's definitely a direction I'd look to push Brook in to be honest. The move to Matchroom seems to have given him a lift, must be hard seeing the new kids on the block topping bills while you're on the early shift smacking around some clown for a couple of rounds.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Even though I don’t rate Brook, I don’t rate Berto either. Can anyone see someone as protected as Berto going in against a fast-handed, awkward guy who can punch enough to rattle Andre’s chin? No way would they go for Brook. He doesn’t offer any upside at the moment, sadly. That’s a winnable fight too.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
roe

vCash:

I don't give a toss about title fights so it makes no difference to me personally. I just think it's a shame that he still hasn't really stepped up any levels. By now, he should be regularly fighting actual top 10 names like Khan is doing.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
SimonTemplar
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think that because Mayweather and Pacqiaou are hovering around there, the welterweight division as a whole is given more credit than the talent in there deserves. There are a number of guys in there who have a bit of a reputation, yet are very beatable. Both the WBA and IBF belts have been mentioned already in this thread, and I would expect either Khan or Brook to win those - Berto, Zaveck, Senchenko, a few of the other names guys in the division, I don't think that they could live with Brook or Khan.

So yes, I think that Matchroom should try to get Brook in for either the WBA or IBF belts. Looks like Khan is going to move up next year, so we could be looking at two of the top four welterweights in the world being Brits next year. Arguably, LWW is a more interesting division (outside of the endless talk of everyone and his dog wanting a Mayweather or Pacquiao fight) than WW, as there are more competitive names.

We could almost have a race between Brook and Khan next year to see who can get in with a titleholder at WW first, as there are currently some soft options.

I am sure that, from a marketing point of view, Khan in particular would rather win a title from, say, Berto than against another Brit and the inevitably lower US profile Brook would have.
SimonTemplar is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Yes, the WBA makes sense and it looks like the eliminator is no mistake.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

On talent & potential alone yes he should & couldve done last year W'rrenBoxingOrg version

After he beats the Polish guy he fighting next then he probably will & will win then onwards & upwards. If Hearn can get Martinez for Barker then who knows? He has friends stateside & can rely on serious financial backing, plus he's presentable, articulate & appears to enjoy his involvement in the sport

As for Kell I think he has the potential to do great things, he's an instinctive fighter who is looks strong & comfortable at his weight. Of course he can improve, techniques are taught, lessons are learnt but talent is a blessing. Its not a fashionable opinion to have on ESB but from the 1st time I saw Kell fight up till now I'm a big fan.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
sud2002
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He needs to grab a world title then all the doors will open up for him... Plus his stock will go up!
sud2002 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

What WBA title are we talking about here? Super, Normal, Interim, In Recess, Pied, what one? Perhaps they'll invent a new one, just for British fighters. They could call it the "WBA Fringe", or something...
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
shenmue
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

Its by far the easiest title in the Welterweight division he could win, Senchenko shouldn't even be a world champion he hasn't been against any good fighters at all. I'm sure he won it after Mosley vacated.

He might well be the worst "World Champion" out there, he is one of the worst that's for sure.
shenmue is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
On talent & potential alone yes he should & couldve done last year W'rrenBoxingOrg version

After he beats the Polish guy he fighting next then he probably will & will win then onwards & upwards. If Hearn can get Martinez for Barker then who knows? He has friends stateside & can rely on serious financial backing, plus he's presentable, articulate & appears to enjoy his involvement in the sport

As for Kell I think he has the potential to do great things, he's an instinctive fighter who is looks strong & comfortable at his weight. Of course he can improve, techniques are taught, lessons are learnt but talent is a blessing. Its not a fashionable opinion to have on ESB but from the 1st time I saw Kell fight up till now I'm a big fan.
he wouldn't have fought for the WBO. W'rren runs them but not if Arum wants to.

Wasn't Hatton going to fight Pinto for the WBO and then suddenly Pinto gets to fight Cotto, Arums new kid!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #15
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

From memory the fight was supposed to happen on a given day and two days before that Pinto was still in Brazil, so they got Pedersen in.

Hatton wrote in his book that in hindsight he doubted that Pinto was ever coming and it was then that he started losing confidence in W@rren, who (he said) wanted him to fight every two months against shit opponents to help him sell tickets.

Hence the courtcase.....
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum