boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Furn

vCash: 500
Default PPV in AUS for average fights ?

Reading boxing forums, it seems here in Aus we have the worst deal in the entire world for watching boxing. I pay $88 a mth for Foxtel and thats having cut a deal with them.

Yet im expected to pay $30+ to watch any boxing match above espn friday night fights.

This is unacceptable! When Foxtel 1st came out it had big fights for free. Prince Naseem, Bowe, Roy Jones, Benn etc were all on for free.

I dont mind paying for a really big fight, fights that are ppv in the us, but paying $40 to watch fights that are free everywhere else in the world is ridiculous.

There must e something we can do about it. Who is buying these fights anyway ?
Furn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: PPV in AUS for average fights ?

The coverage on Fox has been subpar for years.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Furn

yeh i know it has. But Fox just paid $600million for 5 years of AFL. It would cost a pittance compared to that to put some good fights on for free.

I get Mundine and Green being PPV cos they are aussie and Pac and Floyd, but everything less should be free.

I got my fox reduced from $130 a mth to $88 threatening to cut it off. If enough of us get together and threaten to dump it if they keep putting every fight on ppv they might show some fights.
Furn is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Highly doubt its happening mate but understand your frustrations for many years.

Boxing is a minority sport in Australia & with non boxing people like Andy Raymond running FOX Sports's boxing structure, all its doing is sending it further down the gurgler.

Selecting some absolute joke cards at times...the 1 coming up on August 26 from Cronulla is a classic example.

If anything i expect to see less boxing in the coming years as FOX Sports seem to not really give a rats ass about the product with Raymond pumping MMA at every corner possible.
FOX Sports has no competitor willing to show Australian or International boxing to be honest, so they will treat boxing fans how they feel like (besides ESPN FNF which is only ESPN picking up its US feed)
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Main Event picks up some of the big fights for a massive price to the consumer (regularly $40), with that dodgy international feed which like we are still living in the 1960's.
They simply dont care & many of us here have emailed them tens of times on deaf ears.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Thank god for the internet.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
Thank god for the internet.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
And thank god for Kegsy.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
biajoli
Prestige... Worldwide
ESB Jr Member

[quote=Furn;10426441]yeh i know it has. But Fox just paid $600million for 5 years of AFL. It would cost a pittance compared to that to put some good fights on for free.

I get Mundine and Green being PPV cos they are aussie and Pac and Floyd, but everything less should be free.

I got my fox reduced from $130 a mth to $88 threatening to cut it off. If enough of us get together and threaten to dump it if they keep putting every fight on ppv they might show some fights.[/quote

Really? I'll have 2 give this a crack.
I pay about $200 a month fox (getting every ppv pretty much on top of normal $130).
biajoli is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yes Mundine and Green makes sence even against average opponents because they have a name. They are characters that people know and are interested. Basically they name money so it happens.

But WTF is someone like Geale fighting in the backblocks of Tassie being on PPV? This just kills boxing in Australia. Only die hard old school boxing people will buy it. Whereas if it was on normal Fox or One HD so many more people could watch, and therefore make boxing interesting to general public, or at least give it a chance. Or he should of fought on Green-Tarver undercard, so much more interest its not funny. And dont give me the rubish about him being better than an undercard fighter, look how things work in the US and UFC, this is how fighters make a name - people seeing them.

Geale ****s on about how Mundine is not ranked high enough to fight him. Thats total rubish. Mundine is the name that brings dollars to a fight with him. Thats just the fact. You may not like it and so may not I, but it is how it is.
Lead Right is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

You've certainly dusted off the old Mundine nut-hugger hat and put it back on your head tonight Gav.

All hail the Black Superman.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Right View Post
yes Mundine and Green makes sence even against average opponents because they have a name. They are characters that people know and are interested. Basically they name money so it happens.

But WTF is someone like Geale fighting in the backblocks of Tassie being on PPV? This just kills boxing in Australia. Only die hard old school boxing people will buy it. Whereas if it was on normal Fox or One HD so many more people could watch, and therefore make boxing interesting to general public, or at least give it a chance. Or he should of fought on Green-Tarver undercard, so much more interest its not funny. And dont give me the rubish about him being better than an undercard fighter, look how things work in the US and UFC, this is how fighters make a name - people seeing them.

Geale ****s on about how Mundine is not ranked high enough to fight him. Thats total rubish. Mundine is the name that brings dollars to a fight with him. Thats just the fact. You may not like it and so may not I, but it is how it is.
Mundine is fighting Rigoberto at JMW. Mundine and Green are finished. Mundine is scared of Geale.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
You've certainly dusted off the old Mundine nut-hugger hat and put it back on your head tonight Gav.

All hail the Black Superman.
The way you make out CHB it would be a crime to support Mundine even if he fights for legit WT, perhaps he would get your attention if he paraded the IBO strap around for 2 yrs fighting bums and sick fighters? calling out hopkins only to get KTFO by 42yr old, 1 year inactive Tarver haha!
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
The way you make out CHB it would be a crime to support Mundine even if he fights for legit WT, perhaps he would get your attention if he paraded the IBO strap around for 2 yrs fighting bums and sick fighters? calling out hopkins only to get KTFO by 42yr old, 1 year inactive Tarver haha!

Tydotajoli1litre,

You claimed since you got here at ESB you were over Mundine.

But in recent times you have been kissing his **** again....just like Spidot...fancy that m8 .
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Tydotajoli1litre,

You claimed since you got here at ESB you were over Mundine.

But in recent times you have been kissing his **** again....just like Spidot...fancy that m8 .
TCboxa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum