Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: PPV in AUS for average fights ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Right View Post
yes Mundine and Green makes sence even against average opponents because they have a name. They are characters that people know and are interested. Basically they name money so it happens.

But WTF is someone like Geale fighting in the backblocks of Tassie being on PPV? This just kills boxing in Australia. Only die hard old school boxing people will buy it. Whereas if it was on normal Fox or One HD so many more people could watch, and therefore make boxing interesting to general public, or at least give it a chance. Or he should of fought on Green-Tarver undercard, so much more interest its not funny. And dont give me the rubish about him being better than an undercard fighter, look how things work in the US and UFC, this is how fighters make a name - people seeing them.

Geale craps on about how Mundine is not ranked high enough to fight him. Thats total rubish. Mundine is the name that brings dollars to a fight with him. Thats just the fact. You may not like it and so may not I, but it is how it is.
DAMMIT Gav.....I thought that you had discovered "SPELLCHECK"

MY BAD
oztriker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

spelling drops when get fired up. You know like how when you drink grog and drewl. Just so you can relate
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztriker View Post
DAMMIT Gav.....I thought that you had discovered "SPELLCHECK"

MY BAD
Lead Right is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #18
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

just telling how it is mate. Mundine should have done so much more and I dropped as a true nut hugger around 2008 because he wasted chances.

But fair dinkum can someone try and prove that its Geale that bring what really matters when it comes to making fights happen? What are the dollar outcomes of their next two fights each?
Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
You've certainly dusted off the old Mundine nut-hugger hat and put it back on your head tonight Gav.

All hail the Black Superman.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #19
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
Highly doubt its happening mate but understand your frustrations for many years.

Boxing is a minority sport in Australia & with non boxing people like Andy Raymond running FOX Sports's boxing structure, all its doing is sending it further down the gurgler.

Selecting some absolute joke cards at times...the 1 coming up on August 26 from Cronulla is a classic example.

If anything i expect to see less boxing in the coming years as FOX Sports seem to not really give a rats ass about the product with Raymond pumping MMA at every corner possible.
FOX Sports has no competitor willing to show Australian or International boxing to be honest, so they will treat boxing fans how they feel like (besides ESPN FNF which is only ESPN picking up its US feed)

I think what has happened is that when Mundine started putting up collateral & Main event run his fights & saw the pays, they woke that it was a nice little earn. That Australians were prepared to pay to watch Australians that had a profile.

Of course after that, once a month was enough to keep the fans in the loop until the next ****ing graft of BS PPV fights.

Austar charges $50 for them.
I'm in 2 frames. I want to support fighters like Geale, but I can't help feeling a little digit tampering with my anus.

As for Andy Raymond mate, I think you're wrong there. He's got to make a living. He's a presenter & his job is to pump up programs that he presents.

He's gone to bat for FTA boxing & card quality before but he has nothing to do with the running of PPV.

Having said that, I agree with the rest. We really are getting a shit deal.
BTW I don't think the Cronulla card is a Fox card mate.

I think you'll find that Raymond announced a while back that there was going to be more stringent reviews on the quality of future cards that seem prefer the bulk of their shows are at the Pavilion in Melbourne & the Mansfield Tavern in Brisbane.
Rodin is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #20
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

thats the thing. I would really like to watch Geale fight in few weeks. He did great going over the Germany and winning a world title. But there is no way I am paying $50 to see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Having said that, I agree with the rest. We really are getting a shit deal.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #21
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
spelling drops when get fired up. You know like how when you drink grog and drewl. Just so you can relate

errrr....Gav..... WTF is drewl?

If you perchance meant "DROOL"?...... You weren't even close my illiterate friend
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 AM   #22
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
thats the thing. I would really like to watch Geale fight in few weeks. He did great going over the Germany and winning a world title. But there is no way I am paying $50 to see that.
Ahhhh....How times change...

I remember when you used to pay double that for Mundine's soiled jocks
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

mate who cares. Its an internet forum, so what if ppl make a few spelling mistakes or shorthand stuff. it really dont matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztriker View Post
errrr....Gav..... WTF is drewl?

If you perchance meant "DROOL"?...... You weren't even close my illiterate friend
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #24
pegson123
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

we pay 45 buccks for ufc ppv, 30 bucks for strikeforce card thats on basic cable in the states and 30 bucks for wwe ppv. in the uk its all shown included in the basic cable. but than again they have 2 million watching so the ads they can sell make the difference up where we probably have 20 thousand watching a fight here.
pegson123 is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

lot less than here on average.

Most, if not all the Australian boxing PPV are from self promoted fighters like Mundine and Green, and Geale, Vic D in a way. Its basically fight by fight basis and make the most while they can. I remember it used to be 39.95, then the Mundine vs. Green bout it went up to 49.95. From there on they all found it ok to stay at that price.

Whereas the likes of UFC, Strikeforce and Golden Boy, Top Rank are pretty big companies and its all part of a long term strategy I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegson123 View Post
we pay 45 buccks for ufc ppv, 30 bucks for strikeforce card thats on basic cable in the states and 30 bucks for wwe ppv. in the uk its all shown included in the basic cable. but than again they have 2 million watching so the ads they can sell make the difference up where we probably have 20 thousand watching a fight here.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #26
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900

Quote:
Mundine is the name that brings dollars to a fight with him. Thats just the fact. You may not like it and so may not I, but it is how it is.
sad but i think it is true.... i mean FFS Anthony got Garth Wood his first million dollars..

and i defo don't like it!
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
pegson123
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

boxing was a huge money maker on tv 40 years ago. my dad speaks about watching the fights as a family and also watching the wrestling together. it was cheap to produce and easy to produce. a ring a camera and two fighters.

I know nbn did a survey and was looking for local promoters to do a thursday night fight show. this was about 5 years. than i never heard nemore. i wonder what happened.
pegson123 is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Well cunts, I've just thrown Foxtel down a cliff, so if any of you lovely fellas want to invite me round to your joint for Friday night fights or even the odd PPV, you know how to contact me.

Oh, some where in the outer western suburbs of Sydney would be great, Windsor, Richmond area.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #29
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you ask nicely, one of the good chaps on here might just send you a link to one of the streaming sites and you can watch it that way - for free!

Plus a host more links to fights from the around the globe.

Again, only if you ask nicely!!! Hahahaha...
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #30
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
If you ask nicely, one of the good chaps on here might just send you a link to one of the streaming sites and you can watch it that way - for free!

Plus a host more links to fights from the around the globe.

Again, only if you ask nicely!!! Hahahaha...
Well, that's an option too, but I think the mods ban you for asking, so I won't ask......
Sox is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum